Thread: Countering Firestorm and Cheetah in DC Rainbow Draft

Countering Firestorm and Cheetah in DC Rainbow Draft

This combo is so fast and powerful, whoever is able to draft it, I expect to see win. Throw in a couple more bolts like Red Tornado- Created in a Lab and Green Arrow- Former Mayor, and this is nigh unbeatable. I feel that this is the team/combo I need to do the most to prepare for. A Villains deck is not far behind

If I can get it, I'm going for it. But, I expect everyone else will be too. And there is a chance I won't get these first tier cards. So I like to plan for the worst case scenario. So I'm looking for a single card or a two common/uncommon card combo to counter it.

Here are some possible counters to Firestorm/ Cheetah I've come up with.

This can be helpful, but it is not enough. Maybe early on, it will slow them up for a round, but late in the game, it is too little too late.

This one is good, but not guaranteed. But better than Phantom Zone.

I like this, but 6 is expensive to buy in a draft. I'm not sure I could get Deadman out quick enough.

So, what do you think? What are the best "worst case scenario" options to counter Firestorm- Jason and Ronnie and Cheetah- Cursed Archaeologist in DC Rainbow draft?

Blue Beetle makes re-fielding Cheetah damaging to your opponent.

Uncommon Deadman prevents a Cheetah from attacking or blocking, also making it difficult for your opponent to get Cheetah off the field.

After drafting a deck with all the Tier 1 characters in it, I can honestly say the best counter may be a villain deck powered by Deep Sea Deviant. While it is impossible for the bad guys to keep pace with Cheetah, they can hit much HARDER. Cheetah puts a clock on the game, but the Villains put a life bar instead. Throw in a little life gain to mitigate all of the ping damage from Cheetah, then you may stand a chance.

Firestorm, on the other hand, is a first-rate jerk. Maybe KO him and Joker him, so he can't come back to the field? I realize it's not an optimal defense, but it's SOMETHING.

EDIT: To say that you MUST grab Red Tornado - Lab Creation. Any team that doesn't have him is at a mondo disadvantage.

He is just a bit difficult to get in a draft, but yeah, he would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    He is just a bit difficult to get in a draft, but yeah, he would help.
    Just a bit? haha

@Razorback Honestly I agree with Vonvile that The Joker - Clown Prince or Lex Luthor - Millionaire Industrialist being your best bet of keeping Cheetah and Firestorm out of your hair.

If you're able to draft both Harley Quinn's common along with Clown Prince and Sinestros common it shouldn't be hard to buy him up.
    Last edited by systemskill; 06-06-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Apparently, I should have been more worried about Batman and Swamp Thing paired with Blessing from DnD and Vulnerability (that I brought!).

Last match of the day, I could not get the dice to roll for me. I also made three stupid mistakes (bought a die I shouldn't have, forgot he had Vulnerability, and spent too much energy and wasn't able to field a character). In the end I couldn't recover.

It was a blast, and it was the first time I had seen Swamp Thing effectively used. Love seeing things like that.

I had a solid team built around Firestorm- Jason and Ronnie, Red Tornado- Built in a Lab, and Hawkman- Carter Hall. Rounding it out was Cheetah- Power of the Urkartaga, Blue Beetle- Jamie Reyes, Aquaman- Arthur Curry, Catwoman- Selina Kyle, and Zatanna Zatara- Backward Magic.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Apparently, I should have been more worried about Batman and Swamp Thing paired with Blessing from DnD and Vulnerability
    Can you tell me more about how this worked?

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Can you tell me more about how this worked?
    I had terrible rolls. I couldn't get my dice out. Swamp Thing has pretty good stats. I could never get it out of the field. A couple of times I only had sidekicks fielded and couldn't block him. Pretty soon he just overwhelmed me.

Sometimes the dice just doesn't roll my way.

His team went 1-4 all day. I was being a little facetious when I said I needed to prep for it.

But it has made me want to look at Swamp Thing again.