Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Things you saw played wrong on the Worlds stream.

  1. #1

    Things you saw played wrong on the Worlds stream.

    I know there's going to be tons of them, and I'm not talking about misplays where someone forgot to do something, I'm talking things the that the caster and the players didn't know or realize happened. Post your example here, and link the rules portion that corrects them.

    My first example:

    When a sidekick or your opponent's Johnny Storm dies with a Ring of Magnetism attached to it, the Ring goes to the same place as the die it was attached to.

    Citation:
    Meta Rule:
    When character dice are captured, dice that are attached to them (such as Ring of Magnetism) go with them. Such attached dice are also considered to not be in play for game purposes, and they return to the Field Zone with the die they were originally attached to. The same is true for dice that have the gear keyword in the upcoming D&D expansion. When characters that continuous dice are attached to are KO’d, or sent to the Used Pile, the continuous die follows.

    The following cards are also errata’d to have Continuous:
    Ring of Magnetism: Sidekick Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Action Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Monster Attraction

  2. #2
    So if I pay a ROM on your character, and your character dies, my ROM goes to your prep area?

  3. #3
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    It's yours, so it goes to your prep area instead of your used, which happened in games (at least one) on the stream.

  4. #4
    There is this quasi-meta rule about dice masters. There is actually only one used pile, one prep area and one array of cards. It is just divided into two halves, and your stuff goes in your half, and your opponents stuff goes in his half. You can't really interact with the stuff in your opponent's half, and he with your half, unless an ability SPECIFICALLY says otherwise. So if something is told to go to the used pile, and it's yours it goes to your half, and vica versa. This applies even if things are captured, stolen or even attached to your opponent's characters.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    There is actually only one used pile, one prep area and one array of cards.
    Wow. I had no idea. Is that in the rules somewhere? I ask because WizKids explains the game by referring to "your" Used Pile or "your opponent's" Prep Area.

  6. #6
    Not specifically. This way of framing the rules that do exist is just easier to understand.

  7. #7
    That makes it more complicated, if you ask me.

    I find the "if it belongs to you, it goes to your [whatever]" 'meta-rule' to be much easier to grasp.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    That makes it more complicated, if you ask me.

    I find the "if it belongs to you, it goes to your [whatever]" 'meta-rule' to be much easier to grasp.
    I agree. Much easier to say, that dice goes to your used pile, as opposed to, that dice goes to your distinct half of the combined used pile.

  9. #9
    Fair enough, I guess I should have said that, the way cards are written is as if there is only one ... etc. Not that that's the easiest way to explain it, just that that is the way the writers sometimes reference it. Like when they say send this to "the used pile" and occasionally "your opponent's Used pile" when often times these things mean the same thing.

    "if it belongs to you, it goes to your [whatever]" is definitely easier.

  10. #10
    @Shadowmeld , perhaps the assumption is that the card text is being read by the active player to whom it most likely applies.

  11. #11
    There was a lot of poor wording in the initial year of the game that has led to this. If anyone has peaked at the leaked Age of Ultron set, you can tell they have learned. A lot of cards show they have learned from past vagueness. Nonetheless, a lot of areas play Limited formats instead of Unlimited formats so other than the players from Nationals, most players were in a state of being completely unfamiliar with the wording compatibility let alone the cards in those other I.P.s.

  12. #12
    I wasn't on the stream, but I had it ruled against me during a game that my Lord of D ring did not stop Firestorm Jason and Ronnie. I was told that they were still allowed to target me instead. I still won, and after got the ruling corrected for future games.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacBV View Post
    I wasn't on the stream, but I had it ruled against me during a game that my Lord of D ring did not stop Firestorm Jason and Ronnie. I was told that they were still allowed to target me instead. I still won, and after got the ruling corrected for future games.
    So are you saying that Lord of D'Ring does stop Jason and Ronnie, or that it doesn't?!

    /confused.

  14. #14
    Lord of D stops Jason and Ronnie because it CAN target characters, must target the ring's target, and Can't target Lord of D.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Lord of D stops Jason and Ronnie because it CAN target characters, must target the ring's target, and Can't target Lord of D.
    That is what I understand the case to be.

    I am just having difficulty parsing what Isaac is saying in his comment.

  16. #16
    He is saying a judge at world ruled that incorrectly mid-match, and then corrected that ruling after.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    He is saying a judge at world ruled that incorrectly mid-match, and then corrected that ruling after.
    Yes this was the point I was trying to make. Thanks

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Lord of D stops Jason and Ronnie because it CAN target characters, must target the ring's target, and Can't target Lord of D.
    I disagree. Ring doesn't say must. it says "that if you are...."



    Jason and Ronnie has two modes to choose from. if I choose the damage player mode, then character is an invalid target. can't trumps must...

    However, if you are taking rings text literally, and every global and action played can only target it's character, then I guess you are right. that means this must also?

  19. #19
    errata?

    *

    Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities, that target monsters, can only target that monster

  20. #20
    The logic works like this:
    Firestorm can choose Player or Character.
    Ring says If you have a choice to target this character, you must.
    Lord of D. says You can't choose target this guy.

    Unfortunately, just because you can't target him, doesn't mean you aren't still forced to try to target him. You could look at the ring as saying "you cannot target anyone but this guy." effectively it is the same language, and shows that the Cannot rule still trumps your ability to target the player.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    The logic works like this:
    Firestorm can choose Player or Character.
    Ring says If you have a choice to target this character, you must.
    Lord of D. says You can't choose target this guy.

    Unfortunately, just because you can't target him, doesn't mean you aren't still forced to try to target him. You could look at the ring as saying "you cannot target anyone but this guy." effectively it is the same language, and shows that the Cannot rule still trumps your ability to target the player.
    for simplicity, Lord of D can be left out of discussion.


    The ring makes my firestorm choice for me? Sorry, I don't agree with that...

    Also, what's your take on fists of fury?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Ring says If you have a choice to target this character, you must.
    Disagree with this statement also.
    I read it as:
    Ring says, this character is only valid target.

    so if I roll a polymorph die on it's action face, I HAVE TO use that action die...?

  23. #23
    No, you don't have to use it, but you do have to target the ring's target if you Do use it.

    Fists doesn't have the option to target characters, so the ring doesn't affect the choice. Ring only says if you could target a character, you must target the ring.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    you must target the ring.
    you did it again!!!
    lol
    ring didn't say that! it doesn't say "must", it says "only"


    Also, without my suggested errata, the ring apparently affects ALL globals and abilities no matter the target...

    I think the judge got it right the first time, and some smooth talker convinced him otherwise. or did he retract his ruling without influence?

    I asked this about nationals, and I'll ask this again... who were the judges at world's?

  25. #25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •