Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Positivity.

Positivity.

Tone. Text doesn't convey it and we need to consider it. This is modified from an earlier post and needs to be said.

Excessive negativity will not be on this board, not as long as it's my website. I'm not biting the hand that feeds us, and it isn't happening on the forums. If you see something, report it. If you are continuously acting in this way, expect to be warned and then banned.Read the rules thread.

Some game forums are a bastion of negativity towards WK. We can be constructively critical, but outright rage like happens all too commonly in these situations is simply not acceptable. Most telling is a guy I saw on a Clix thread at another popular site complaining about Nationals. He said "I've never been to a WizKids event but from what I read on Realms they're just horribly run."

Yeah, great. So what is that site doing for the game? They're telling people "STAY AWAY FROM THIS EVENT" and by extension "STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME." That's not helpful to the community, that's not conducive to the proliferation of the game. It's just cutting off your nose to spite your face. People in that thread are literally saying to others that their advice is to avoid any large-scale WizKids-run event. That's just crazy to me.

Whatever influence we at TRP have in the community, combined with the influence of like-minded sites (like DA), is going to be used strongly to promote sportsmanship, competition, and enjoyment over any degree of negativity.

We're for growth of the game. We're for more people playing the game. We're for everyone playing the game well. Negativity gets attention - if you don't believe me, watch 24-hour cable news - but it's not attention we want.

And if you're not on that boat, you're free to discuss things elsewhere.

I assume something had to have sparked this. I haven't seen any negativity anywhere on this forum so it's possible a mod got to it before I saw. I am curious why this is posted in the section it is though.

That's nice of you to say, Scum, but unfortunately some negativity has been posted here. I echo Dave's approach, and agree 100% with the message. We're all in this together, and we all want the game to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    That's nice of you to say, Scum
    Negativity discovered.... Calling people Scum... How dare you RJ.

Oh, wait.

I was hoping someone would comment on that. One of my favourite user names on the board!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Negativity discovered.... Calling people Scum... How dare you RJ.

Oh, wait.
    It's like you narrated my brain speech as I read that quote.

That's nice of you to say, Scum, but unfortunately some negativity has been posted here. I echo Dave's approach, and agree 100% with the message. We're all in this together, and we all want the game to grow.
    I was on my phone when I first read this so I couldn't see all the usernames on the screen at the same time, so I was SO confused by it because I didn't think that's something RJRETRO would've said from everything I've seen posted before, and was doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out how it made sense until I scrolled back up randomly.

I wonder, is "scum" a reference to Transmetropolitan's "New Scum"? One of my favorite comic book bits out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Critenstein
    I wonder, is "scum" a reference to Transmetropolitan's "New Scum"? One of my favorite comic book bits out there.
    It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    It's not.
    That made me laugh more than it should have.

This post just reminded me about a few yugioh community websites that I will choose not to name and the kind of outlook they project onto others. I'm on board with not allowing that kind of unnecessary negativity to exist within dice masters.

I've given this some thought, I'm ok with it but I'd hope the site owners wouldn't extend this policy outside of the forum itself. That is to say if I say something negative on a Twitch stream or something I don't think it should effect my standing on this site. I understand how it could, based on the perception that I'd be representing this community no matter where I'm at since I'm part of this community - and negativity outside of the board could reflect negatively on the board, but I'd like to think I have some breathing room too.

A point that I think is not stated anywhere on the site is that games (in general) are not exclusive to a particular culture or sub-culture and so within a given game's market there are bound to be people from many backgrounds and to blanket state that some attitudes are bad for the game would be potentially shunning a portion of the market. I know what TRP is meaning when they say "negative" but some communities actually thrive on what other communities would consider negative. They're not wrong for doing so - just different.

I've given this some thought, I'm ok with it but I'd hope the site owners wouldn't extend this policy outside of the forum itself. That is to say if I say something negative on a Twitch stream or something I don't think it should effect my standing on this site. I understand how it could, based on the perception that I'd be representing this community no matter where I'm at since I'm part of this community - and negativity outside of the board could reflect negatively on the board, but I'd like to think I have some breathing room too.

A point that I think is not stated anywhere on the site is that games (in general) are not exclusive to a particular culture or sub-culture and so within a given game's market there are bound to be people from many backgrounds and to blanket state that some attitudes are bad for the game would be potentially shunning a portion of the market. I know what TRP is meaning when they say "negative" but some communities actually thrive on what other communities would consider negative. They're not wrong for doing so - just different.
    My interpretation of what Dave is saying here is that solely negative or inflammatory attitudes/posts about the community/Wizkids will not be tolerated. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong here Dave, it is the difference between saying:

X Sucks!!1! I Hate X! X can't do anything right!

and

I think X could have been done better and here's why I think so:

I don't think it's about censorship or dictating what you can or cannot say, but that the tone needs to be appropriate, especially because this board is more family-friendly than others. We have to remember that we are setting an example for other when we post. You can still be critical of something, but you have to be polite about it. That's my takeaway from reading this thread anyways.

It's pretty simple:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beexcellent.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	1091

...and party on dudes!

Dave called out negativity towards Wizkids in the OP, but to make sure his larger point isn't lost--he's not just talking about negativity towards WizKids, it also applies to how we treat other members too. Call it the Golden Rule or whatever, but Bill & Ted really did put it well. Be excellent to each other and, yes, be excellent to WizKids.

Constructive criticism is much better than general complaining and way better than outright hostility, but also remember your audience here is other members. Your audience here is not Wizkids. If you've got feedback for them, take it to them. Really. You may not get immediate results, but if they hear from enough people on a particular issue, they're going to want to address it if they can. Lots of complaining here about something probably won't help (and as Dave points out, can hurt the community, and we're all about trying to help the community).

I personally am a free speech fanatic and support others' right to speak out, but we do wish to actively promote a particular...um..."decorum" (at the risk of sounding hoity-toity) here, and will consistently steer people towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    My interpretation of what Dave is saying here is that solely negative or inflammatory attitudes/posts about the community/Wizkids will not be tolerated. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong here Dave, it is the difference between saying:

X Sucks!!1! I Hate X! X can't do anything right!

and

I think X could have been done better and here's why I think so:

I don't think it's about censorship or dictating what you can or cannot say, but that the tone needs to be appropriate, especially because this board is more family-friendly than others. We have to remember that we are setting an example for other when we post. You can still be critical of something, but you have to be polite about it. That's my takeaway from reading this thread anyways.
    Agreed, but the tone we find "polite" could also be seen as "uppity" or "staunch" by others. I probably didn't communicate that the best. Sometimes cultural differences just don't quite translate right. Mannerisms and such can be effected a lot by upbringing and culture and so I think context actually matters a lot when discussing how things are put rather than the content of the message.

Agreed, but the tone we find "polite" could also be seen as "uppity" or "staunch" by others. I probably didn't communicate that the best. Sometimes cultural differences just don't quite translate right. Mannerisms and such can be effected a lot by upbringing and culture and so I think context actually matters a lot when discussing how things are put rather than the content of the message.
    I was editing my post above while you were replying and really find it funny how the edit intersected with this post of yours. (Yes, the "at the risk of sounding hoity-toity" was in there before I saw your post. I haven't edited my post since seeing yours.) No need to be sycophants to anybody here. Yes, speak your mind, but yes do practice politeness as best you can. As norms are established here, it becomes easier. Negativity can breed negativity and nobody wants that to be the norm. We all just want to have fun with the game and if negativity is the norm, it makes it harder to do the second part of the Bill and Ted quote and "party on."

That made me laugh more than it should have.
    I'm a funny man.

Agreed, but the tone we find "polite" could also be seen as "uppity" or "staunch" by others. I probably didn't communicate that the best. Sometimes cultural differences just don't quite translate right.
    This is especially true with regard to humour.

For example, British humour can be, though is not always, exceedingly dry, sharp, and sarcastic.

This is not, in general, seen as rude, or impolite.

However, this is style of humour is often taken as an attack by many Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    taken as an attack by many Americans.
    yeah, we've got a problem with seeing everything as an attack these days.

I'm still curious about this.

Is this like being in public school where you can get in trouble for something you do outside of school?

I don't care what you do off of this site, as long you're not flying the TRP flag. For instance, if you tell people that you're on the TRP forums, and you're a big part of our community, and this and that, then go on a swearing rant or smear Wizkids in the mud. Then you just made TRP look bad. If you're not going to conduct yourself in a way that positively contributes to our standing with other community members or Wizkids themselves, I'd rather you not attach yourself to our name in a local store or online chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    This is especially true with regard to humour.

For example, British humour can be, though is not always, exceedingly dry, sharp, and sarcastic.

This is not, in general, seen as rude, or impolite.

However, this is style of humour is often taken as an attack by many Americans.
    I find British Sarcasm to be hilarious, along with their choice of phrases.

Bumping, just as a reminder that, in addition to the above, to be excellent to one another.

Well as an Australain, we get the English humour and the American slap stick - our humour is kind of dangerous in text, hence why I haven't tried to be funny

We insult our friends and are coolly polite to those we don't like - but please feel free to privately message me if I do get to comfortable and cross a line (or publicly I don't really mind either way)

But please remember if something offends you or comes across as overly negative (not blantely negitive - there is a difference) Maybe privately drop the poster a message and explain to them that they came across that way, and it might just be a cultural thing