Thread: So, I'm running my first OP tomorrow...

So, I'm running my first OP tomorrow...

I want to see Dice Masters grow and succeed locally, so I stepped up to the plate to run our organized play events in my FLGS. Any last minute advice for a first time organizer? And by first time, I mean first time. I've never run any kind of tournament before. And I've only played in a couple of rainbow drafts. So any advice would be appreciated.

Bring Pen and Paper.
    Bring a D20 or D10 for any randomization your may need to do.
    Bring a stop watch or some timing device, preferably independent from your phone.
    As per TRP Dave, get peoples info.

What format are you doing? Rainbow, constructed, limited?

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    Bring Pen and Paper.
    Bring a D20 or D10 for any randomization your may need to do.
    Bring a stop watch or some timing device, preferably independent from your phone.
    As per TRP Dave, get peoples info.

What format are you doing? Rainbow, constructed, limited?
    Thanks for the tips!
    We are doing a rainbow draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Thanks for the tips!
    We are doing a rainbow draft.
    I'm sure that you do already, but understanding how the RD works is important then too...
    http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/rainbow-draft/

Keep a copy of this readily available.

Try to get everyone signed up on the WKES. The more they are wired in and can search for local events, the more events they will go to.

I would recommend making sure to go over the rules of "how to draft" at least 50 times before the event (and 50 times during the draft). Issues that have come up for our events include:

Someone passing their drafted cards instead of their passed pile
    Someone not realizing that cards from both stacks (the pass to left and pass to right drafted cards) were used to make one team, not two teams
    Someone not checking the packs they have opened and throwing away cards
    Someone opening all of their packs and building a team with those, then getting mad when told he had to draft the cards

All of those things, and more, can happen. So, do not assume everyone (or anyone) knows the rules of how to draft.

The WizKids Twitch feed just reminded me. Understanding what to do when you run out of time is super important! Having a clear and concise explanation avoids any confusion or frustration if this occurs.