Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another storage option for Dice Masters dice (on sale!)

Another storage option for Dice Masters dice - Digression 3D

So there's a guy/company I know through BoardGameGeek who is selling 3-D printed dice cases for Dice Masters (among other things). For Origins he currently is offering 10% off with code DigOrigins. Here is the site:

http://digression3d.com/products/dic...-for-14mm-dice

Here are some pictures of the dice cases:

Here are some pics of the "Tournament Case" (designed for taking a team around to different tables with you while at a tournament):

Here is a thread on BGG talking about the cases:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18730124#18730124

Edited thread title on 27 July 2015 - naming product and removing reference to (now-expired) sale
    Last edited by pk2317; 07-27-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Digression 3D

Thanks for posting the link to Digression 3D.

I'm very glad you like the cases! Right now we have dice cases for several dice sizes, but which are especially useful for Dice Masters (14mm). I also have card boxes for FFG style mini-cards.

I am always designing so there will be more on the way. I got some great ideas from people at Origins this weekend, and I am always looking to hear from other gamers about what sort of things you need.

As a heads up, at the end of the month, I am going to be doing a dice case giveaway for followers of the Facebook group . If you are interested in a chance to win free Dice Masters cases, feel free to join up.

Matt

I'm gonna have to take notes form Digression and Zen Bins :P My biggest issue is probably just figuring out a cost-effective way to produce a prototype batch before going into mass production.

what we need is wizkids to get on a storage solution for this game. they would be the best way to make something cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    what we need is wizkids to get on a storage solution for this game. they would be the best way to make something cost effective.
    Eh ... maybe ... though I don't think Wizards of the Coast or Konami directly promotes Ultra Pro or Legion :P

For an example of what I'm talking about, when I go through 3D Printing services via Sculpteo or Shapeways, I'm getting some crazy estimates along the lines of $100 per model for a batch of 20 to $800 for a single model.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    They offer the collectors box. I don't know if they have plans beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    These don't link together, do they? And they're $13 for holding 40 dice? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that just seems like a lot, especially if they don't connect together.

I imagine these aren't made for storing whole collections, but more for transporting a couple teams with you?
    @SlapsterMcFlash : You are correct, they do not link together.

And yes, they are GREAT for taking a team to a game. 40 dice is the magic number in Dice Masters for tournament play (20 dice in your team, 8 sidekicks, and 3 each of 4 different color basic action dice).

That being said, I have had several people order cases in a volume that would allow them to store their dice as well, so they are also being used in that fashion.

I'll take a moment to talk about cost, if I may. The price for the cases is a function of the manufacturing process. Since I am 3D printing on demand which is a comparatively slow process in some ways (about 7 hours for 2 dice cases), you are correct that I am not able to maintain as low a cost as an injection molded company. At the same time, I have a much quicker time from design to finished product, so I am able to adapt to the needs of the community.

I try to design things parametrically which means I can easily change options like number of rows or dice size to tailor the cases to you.

Do you want a case which can hold all 8 colors of basic action dice, 3 across so they are easily accessible for play? I can make that happen (actually that is not a bad idea -- I'm going to make that a thing that exists THIS AFTERNOON. It will be available by the end of the day). That is not something that can happen in traditional manufacturing. Sure it is a little more expensive, but if you have specific desires, I can probably make it happen with good quality and with a relatively short turn around time.

Because I am literally making these in my basement, it is much, much cheaper than other print on demand services like Shapeways. I use Shapeways for small, detailed things like these Wonders miniatures for the board game Clash of Cultures, but if I wanted them to print cases for me, the tournament style dice case would cost $90 with the cheapest plastic (I just uploaded it to see). In that respect, I don't think $13 is too bad all things considered (less this week with the Origins sale going on).

Your questions are good ones and are definitely questions I have been wrestling with as I have started focusing more intentionally on growing this little side business of mine. Thanks for asking and for giving me the opportunity to respond.

Matt

Ah that makes sense: I may just go with Injection Molding via Protolabs myself, but failing that I'll probably just sell my designs.

I ordered a couple of these today, looking forward to using them.

If there was a way to have an attached option that holds 14 cards (10 for the team and then 4 for the reminder cards) the tournament one would be perfect.

Or better yet, since you have the design that holds the basic action dice having a way to put 8 cards with that and then have another one that holds 28 dice with 10 cards would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by hath View Post

If there was a way to have an attached option that holds 14 cards (10 for the team and then 4 for the reminder cards) the tournament one would be perfect.

Hey, just an update. I just put up a revised tournament case which holds cards and dice together. I also posted a card-based playmat (3 cards) in the downloads section. This allows you to fit everything you need for a tournament except the dice bag (and the deluxe tournament case fits INSIDE my dicebag.. though it is pretty ample). You can read about it HERE.

These are awesome! Can't spend 150$ plus for storage right now though. Maybe I could slowly build up to encompass my whole DC/Marvel collection. I do think it's worth the price given the information you've given us and the nature of the situation. These would be the ideal storage for me because they would store my dice evenly with characters maxed out, and I could stack and store them neatly. I usually play at home so I keep my cards in a binder. Just need the perfect dice storage solution, and this is it. I'm currently using the collector's box ( 1 for marvel, 1 for DC ) but I don't like how the top layer is too flimsy. That's my only real problem. Bottom is fine.
    Last edited by SHAZAM!; 07-25-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxqueb View Post
    Hey, just an update. I just put up a revised tournament case which holds cards and dice together. I also posted a card-based playmat (3 cards) in the downloads section. This allows you to fit everything you need for a tournament except the dice bag (and the deluxe tournament case fits INSIDE my dicebag.. though it is pretty ample). You can read about it HERE.
    Thanks for the update! That's awesome!

By the way, I will be at Gencon (Wed-Sun) and will be carrying around some cases with me as I travel. I'll be playing Dice Masters in draft at least three times (I have tickets Friday - Sunday). If anyone is going to be there and would like to get a case from me, you can send me an email through the site and we can meet up or find me at the con (I'll be wearing a Digression3D shirt each day... a different, clean one! Honest!!). I can't guarantee the colors I'll have on hand, but it would save on shipping and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymhowl View Post
    I bought one of your basic action dice blue and tournament cases and I love them!! Many of my group wanted to know where I got them and I brought them to another city's tournament and they wanted to know where as well, so I'm trying to get the word out for you. I didn't mind your shipping, I live in central Canada Keep up the good work. I think you have a fair price point.
    I have crept this forum for months, first time poster. Just had to put up my 2 cents as I am also a BGG community member and that's where I found your dice cases to begin with.