Thread: Article: Quick Wins

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries

Article: Quick Wins

Blog Entries
    Bummer of a day for my record, amazing otherwise. Missed the cut by half a continent. But I have a new favorite game that I played. That match vs DA Matt on the stream to start things off was amazing. Absolutely the best game I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Bummer of a day for my record, amazing otherwise. Missed the cut by half a continent. But I have a new favorite game that I played. That match vs DA Matt on the stream to start things off was amazing. Absolutely the best game I've played.
    Despite your loss that match was really fun to watch.

I too played a match where I lost by 1 HP and was also my best match to date. I'll be posting about it soon I think, it was crazy close.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I can't complain about the day AT ALL. I didn't get the record I wanted, but I met a few great people and was reminded about why I think this community is so great. My bomb never fired as planned. Not once. But I was in every game (at least until I wasn't). Best of luck to those who remain. It may take a little bit of time to digest this one. Not for any reason other than the fact that the field was so diverse (at least what I faced). I heard Gobby was swinging for 18 in some cases. I saw Patch. I saw Hulks. I did not see Nova. But what did me in was Tsarina, Human Torch, Prismatic Spray/Dragons, and Matt's team... 4 uniquely different win conditions.

I like how you always capitalize "The Reserve Pool". Makes me smile.

As for your day, tough breaks, but we're still proud of you. Honourary Canadian forevers, man!

Blog Entries
    Looking back, I'm not sure how many tough breaks I had. Maybe a couple, but probably not more than anyone else. I took a strategy that was a calculated risk and it was over its head. I think the idea has validity, but it's pretty evident it's not tier 1. At least in its current form. The longer games went, the more trouble I was in... Honestly, I was out designed and out played (both) in virtually every match today. I'd like to think I made no mistakes in at least one match, but I'm sure that's not true. I learned a lot though, and I think I will have a chance to get better.

The best part was connecting with other people who love this game and play it at an exceptionally high level. That alone was worth the whole day.

It was an awesome match to see on stream JT(and Matthew). Couldn't see much of the rest due to time zone differences and BBQ'ing with friends . Any ideas on if the matches are viewable on Wizkids stream now afterwards.

Nice article as well, I would definitely like to try it out sometime. How would you deal with a Distraction on the opposing side though? Do you have the energy for a DCK global?

Blog Entries
    If you don't pump, yes. Distraction bit me in the game vs Vallee.

I have done a build centered around both Silver Surfer (this was before Anger Issues and RD, however) and more recently the build With Wolverine. I did not include SS in the more recent one. The problem I have with it, its pretty much all in to do its thing and all peripheral cards have to be geared around making your hits happen. In other words, I feel it needs Doomcallibur Knight, Red Dragon, PXG, Goblin Attack Force, Silver Surfer or Resurrection, BEWD and Obviously Wolverine. Leaving it little room for an "escape hatch" win option. Yes it can win and somewhat consistently. I was not bothering with Poly, because you have to get the Anger Issues in order to make it work properly and trying to get both would mean no chance at Turn 3 hit. I actually had Kobold and Psylock in my version. I am certain there are better options than that, but its hard for me not to follow the rule of having cheap cost Mask option and I liked the Kobold for the chance at double fists to help push up damage with AI.

JT, Thanks for the shout out, man! You were great to play with! I think we both are big on explaining what we're doing which helps not only with the camera, but for your opponent as well. Trust me though, you had me sweating there, BIG time.
    I felt bad for that one turn taking me SOOOO long. I had enough for 13 damage if I flipped the Mr. Fantastics and spun up the ant man. But more than one life is still a resource... 1 isn't. I'd a been dead dead regardless the next turn.
    Great game, tons a fun, love the community, and especially glad I met you.