Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magneto Global

i believe it is all of the above. however. since it is a global, your opponent can also use it on your villains.

although this fun one just popped into my brains. imagine rolling double energy on a villain die, spending one of that energy, and then triggering the global, and roll double again. you could, in theory, get INFINITE ENERGIES!!!

That's a hilarious, yet ridiculous idea.

Someone should make a Magneto/Booster Gold team. YOU WILL RE-ROLL ALL YOUR VILLAINS UNTIL I CAN FIELD BOOSTER GOLD AND SWING!

The active player won't pass you priority till finished so it's unlikely forcing a reroll there will work to your benefit. If you are the active player you can theoretically though not very efficient field a villain, pay mask to use magneto global rolling energy on said villain who then slides down into the reserve field, pay mask to reroll again and if you can pay it re field that villain.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    With Field Leader (Cyclops) and Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle) in the field, there might be something to that. I can see it being fun, but very challenging economically speaking. And rather unreliable. But still quite fun. I'll spend energy, get more energy, do damage for fielding, and repeat. Get something with a nice when fielded ability to go with this? Would surprise the heck out of most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    With Field Leader (Cyclops) and Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle) in the field, there might be something to that. I can see it being fun, but very challenging economically speaking. And rather unreliable. But still quite fun. I'll spend energy, get more energy, do damage for fielding, and repeat. Get something with a nice when fielded ability to go with this? Would surprise the heck out of most folks.
    OP Beast is a villain with a TFC of 1. But no "when fielded" ability

You cannot re-roll a die that you have partially spent the energy of.

So, if you re-roll a Villain, get double energy, and spin down said die to spend one energy, you cannot then re-roll that die.

Grrr....I can't find it now, but I could have sword I saw/read somewhere official that once you'd partially spun down an energy die, that die was no longer eligible to be targeted by effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Really? I'd love to see the ruling on that, I had no idea. The whole infinite energy was just one of those impractical, but fun, ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEone78 View Post
    Really? I'd love to see the ruling on that, I had no idea. The whole infinite energy was just one of those impractical, but fun, ideas.
    Like @pk2317 , I now can't find where I saw that.

But we can't both have imagined it.

I see huge potential here

To finish off the team, you could add in a few other cheap masks to feed the Magneto global. Maybe Zatana and/or Beast as they would also help you with ramp. An extra bolt or villian character could be helpful too.

Plan would be to get Firestorm and Blue Beetle out in the field. Then roll the Scarlet Witch die, ideally on a turn when you've got a bunch of mask energy to feed that global...keep fielding her, then rerolling her, each time doing 3 damage to your opponent.

You could use Gobby instead of the Witch too, but that might be too crazy, and he is 1 energy more TFC, so he may not be as efficient. I might also bring along Magic Missle to use up any left over Bolt energy that might result in all the Bolt rolling.
    Last edited by Meatman; 06-09-2015 at 02:33 PM.

@Meatman I love the idea of that team, would definitely need PXG to be rolling 7-8 dice per turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post

Plan would be to get Firestorm and Blue Beetle out in the field. Then roll the Scarlet Witch die, ideally on a turn when you've got a bunch of mask energy to feed that global...keep fielding her, then rerolling her, each time doing 3 damage to your opponent.
    Re-rolling is not fielding, you would not get any damage out of doing this.

You would have to re-roll Scarlet Witch at least twice - once into energy, then back in to a character.

The goal would be to actually field her again...so @Scorpion0x17 you are correct. Field her...roll her to energy...rerolll that energy to a character...field again.

And @IgwanaRob you are right too...If you reroll a character and she turns up another character that wouldn't count as fielding again...

So you'd need a whole wack load of masks and The Witch in the same turn to make it work, just like @slimo suggests. Its possible I suppose...with PXG and a bag full of 2 cost mask characters...maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

So, if you re-roll a Villain, get double energy, and spin down said die to spend one energy, you cannot then re-roll that die.
    Please don't start this again, this is not confirmed as the new rulebook does NOT include this.

Until they rule on parallax confirming whether this rule is true or false, we cannot use old rule books to determine the weaker options of the two. If you looked at the straight card text nothing implies you cannot reroll partially spent energy (excluding generic energy that can't be spun down anyway). This is the same thing I am going to say for parallax, rule of weaker option is if there is multiple interpretations of the card text, that's it.

You guys were looking for the rule about not being able to re roll dice that have been spun down. It's in the UXM Rulebook on Page 20.

It reads: Rerolling Dice: When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was in unless (a) otherwise specified by
    the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it’s in a location that the die face cannot be (for
    example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location
    and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the reserve pool.
    You cannot reroll a die if you have already partially spent its energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolich View Post
    You guys were looking for the rule about not being able to re roll dice that have been spun down. It's in the UXM Rulebook on Page 20.

It reads: Rerolling Dice: When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was in unless (a) otherwise specified by
    the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it’s in a location that the die face cannot be (for
    example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location
    and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the reserve pool.
    You cannot reroll a die if you have already partially spent its energy.
    Now let me read you the same section where that used to be...

"Many powers allow you to "reroll" a die. When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was unless (a) otherwise specified by the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it's in a location that the die face cannot be (for example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the Reserve Pool."

This is every rulebook after the ones that you guys are posting, and with the language they are using in the rulebooks, why would they leave something out so important that you literally have to separate those dice from the rest of your other dice. Something that important would be clearly spelled out. Leaving this out of 1 rulebook would be a fluke, but leaving it out of 3 is different. That implies a rule change that they saw as insignificant since it didn't apply to everyday play to anything other than magneto global. Good thing here is we are starting to get rulings so when this gets solved we can finally stop talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Now let me read you the same section where that used to be...

"Many powers allow you to "reroll" a die. When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was unless (a) otherwise specified by the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it's in a location that the die face cannot be (for example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the Reserve Pool."

This is every rulebook after the ones that you guys are posting, and with the language they are using in the rulebooks, why would they leave something out so important that you literally have to separate those dice from the rest of your other dice. Something that important would be clearly spelled out. Leaving this out of 1 rulebook would be a fluke, but leaving it out of 3 is different. That implies a rule change that they saw as insignificant since it didn't apply to everyday play to anything other than magneto global. Good thing here is we are starting to get rulings so when this gets solved we can finally stop talking about this.
    Oh I see you think only the latest rule book should apply instead of all them. I can see the logic behind that, my problem with that is that the newer rule books are missing a lot of stuff that were in the previous ones. I mean just think about stuff like "Experience" or "Breath Weapon" from DnD, explanations of these abilities are nowhere to be found in the new rule books so we are forced to use the rules in previous books.

While that line about rerolling dice that have already been partially spent might be omitted from some books it isn't contradicted in anyway either.

I absolutely think you're right and we will need some kind of ruling on this issue. Thanks for the insights!

I'm with Stormy on this, if they have intentionally left it out, there is a good chance the rule no longer applies. The DnD unique abilities are not reprinted as their abilities don't reappear in the other sets, but the section about rerolling is consistent.

General guidelines about Rule Books (I'm not interjecting into the Magneto/Parallax discussion):

If a Rule Book has text that is specific to the set it was released under, that text is "carried forwarded" as still in effect, even though subsequent Rule Books do not contain such text: examples, Heroic (from UXM), serial numbers (from YGO), Breath Weapon and Experience (from D&D). Note: most of this type of text is keyword related.

If there is a reword of or addition to text from a previously released Rule Book, the newest released version is the one to be used in play. Examples - the changing of Transit Zone to Out of Play and the Free to Field section in the ASM Rule Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolich View Post
    Oh I see you think only the latest rule book should apply instead of all them. I can see the logic behind that, my problem with that is that the newer rule books are missing a lot of stuff that were in the previous ones. I mean just think about stuff like "Experience" or "Breath Weapon" from DnD, explanations of these abilities are nowhere to be found in the new rule books so we are forced to use the rules in previous books.

While that line about rerolling dice that have already been partially spent might be omitted from some books it isn't contradicted in anyway either.

I absolutely think you're right and we will need some kind of ruling on this issue. Thanks for the insights!
    Would be a good point if they didn't intentionally add a keywords page to wizkids but nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    General guidelines about Rule Books (I'm not interjecting into the Magneto/Parallax discussion):

If a Rule Book has text that is specific to the set it was released under, that text is "carried forwarded" as still in effect, even though subsequent Rule Books do not contain such text: examples, Heroic (from UXM), serial numbers (from YGO), Breath Weapon and Experience (from D&D). Note: most of this type of text is keyword related.

If there is a reword of or addition to text from a previously released Rule Book, the newest released version is the one to be used in play. Examples - the changing of Transit Zone to Out of Play and the Free to Field section in the ASM Rule Book.

Same point as you if you are going to play devils advocate. Why keep old text from previous rulebooks then? If we use your same logic then they don't need to change the rulebook unless it's a new rule. That means they were just wasting money reprinting portions of the rulebook that are in old rulebooks. None of your points explain the reasoning behind not printing it in newer rulebooks other than "they meant it to be there." Then why in each rulebook do they not point out that text in previous rulebooks are still valid even if not printed in the current rulebook. To add to this, two rulebooks have the text you are quoting, which means they printed it twice, then decided to take it out because it was obvious apparently? Think logically, there is no way "old rulebooks apply so they don't need to print it anymore" applies if they did it for two rulebooks then took it out, if it was one then it might be a valid point but it was two printed, then three where they left it out.