Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Card sleeves

Card sleeves

I'm curious, what kind of sleeves do you use for your Dice Masters cards? I currently use Ultra Pro Pro-Matte, but I'm not a fan of the hologram and how it blocks the dice on the bottom.

KMC Hyper Matte and the KMC perfect size.

EDIT: I only sleeve Rare, Super Rare, and OP cards. I might sleeve the basic action cards and C & U that I take to an event.
    Last edited by DavidH; 06-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.

I just use Ultra-Pro ultra clear sleeves. 100 for $1.00. Super cheap, but they protect the cards from most things.

If I am going to use Ultra Pro, I sleeve them upside down. I would much rather potentially cover up some part of the name, then potentially cover the level 2 burst symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    KMC Hyper Matte and the KMC perfect size
    +1. I use the same combo of sleeves. It's the best around. If you want to save money other options for double-sleeving are fine too, but will be a bit more hassle (harder to get on). Not just any combo works, but look around, and you'll find options for double-sleeving that work pretty well too.

Double-sleeving is totally worth it. And for Dice Masters it's even worth it for commons, I'd argue. What's special about Dice Masters in this regard? The idea is that since the cards see little wear when playing DM (no shuffling or manipulating), once you've got those puppies double-sleeved, they should last forever, absent deliberate abuse. The cards have so much extra rip, ding, scratch, etc., resistance when double sleeved that they're going to last for as long as you play DM. Single sleeving helps protect cards, but with double-sleeving no part of the card is directly exposed to abuse, even liquids. Someone spilled a drink on your cards? No worries. Kids brought a card out to their sandbox? It's probably fine. Someone just put down the KFC and grabbed your card? Fahgetaboutit.

Why double sleeve commons too? It's a few pennies extra per card to ensure that you pretty much never have to think about digging up a replacement for damage again. Once you've done it, you're done. The cards are safe. You can concentrate on other things. You don't even have to think about whether you should keep an extra a some certain card around "just in case." (Well, you could always lose your cards or have them stolen, but you know what I mean...)

Assuming you started DM before the DnD set: remember opening up that first DnD starter or booster, grabbing the card and thinking, "Wow! So thick. This is nice!"? Well, an unsleeved DnD card feels very wimpy compared to a double-sleeved Marvel or YGO or DC card. You can give that luxurious thickness...SOLIDITY...to all of your cards.

Don't let the terrorists win. Start double-sleeving today!

This message brought to you buy the Sleeve It Again (TM), a sleeve manufacturers trade group.

I am about to undertake a HUGE re-sleeving project for all of my cards... or, at least the ones in my sets. I am going to go with the Ultra Pro Pro-Matte sleeves, and just let the hologram holo-sit-there. I will then use all of the Ultra Pro penny sleeves to sleeve my Rares and trade OP stuff. I figure if someone wants to trade and they see that I take such good care of those cards that I even sleeve my doubles, that might push them over the edge and make the deal happen.

Also, you know, I'm about to have a ton of them laying around.

KMC Perfect Size + Ultra Pro Standard sleeves.

I only sleeve valuable cards (monetarily or sentimentally) or cards that I'm using on a team. After we drafted DC, I sleeved my team. It's just what I do. Now, anyway.

I sleeve for intimidation. I sit down at the table, and I have sleeved cards, my opponent thinks "Oh my. I have done stepped in it this time. This feller has sleeved cards. That means he is serious. I have bitten off more than I can chew." By that point, I have already beaten him. I'm in his head, and I have sleeved his brain.

Also, I just really really really prefer how it looks, and feel that it'll protect the cards better than nothing, or even my penny sleeves I currently use.

What if the other guy has sleeved cards? Do you start freaking out the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    KMC Perfect Size + Ultra Pro Standard sleeves.
    How well does that work, Scorpion (Ultra Pro holgram aside)? Do the Ultra Pros push the Perfect Size off when doing the double or do they hang tight OK? (I'm surprised now that I think about it that I actually haven't tried that combo.)

Silly RJ. Once your opponents start bringing sleeves, you get a custom mat. When the get a custom mat, you get a custom bag. When they get a custom bag you get a premium storage system. When they get a premium storage system you get a team of common Vixens.

Trust me, that one is so intimidating, they won't dare try to copy you.

I play DM a lot like I play poker. Pretend I suck, and catch people off-guard.

Although in DM, I really do suck.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    I play DM a lot like I play poker. Pretend I suck, and catch people off-guard.

Although in DM, I really do suck.
    I over compensate with the "swag gear" that Shadowmeld was referring to. I have the dice tower with googly eyes and several official Wizkids mats (AvX, UXM, and JUL).

Now, to bring it full circle, once I get the color coded sweet sleeves sleeved, then I'll be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    Now, to bring it full circle, once I get the color coded sweet sleeves sleeved, then I'll be all set.
    So how do you color-code? I used a different color sleeve per set (same color within the set for both characters and action cards), but that's it. Unfortunately KMC is not coming out with Hyper Matte colors as fast as WizKids is coming out with different sets, plus not all colors they have match up to what I think a given set should have, so compromises have been made (using non Hyper Matte sleeves for some sets).

Marvel - Red
    YuGiOh - Orange
    D&D - Green
    DC: Justice League - Justice League sleeves
    DC: War or light - Prepped for Blue

Basic Actions - Legion "Iconic Life Sleeves"
    Promo - same as in set
    Full Art - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    So how do you color-code? I used a different color sleeve per set (same color within the set for both characters and action cards), but that's it. Unfortunately KMC is not coming out with Hyper Matte colors as fast as WizKids is coming out with different sets, plus not all colors they have match up to what I think a given set should have, so compromises have been made (using non Hyper Matte sleeves for some sets).
    I, too, have made compromises. Mostly in colors, because I want the binders for the cards to match the colors of the sleeves inside. My plan, for the mass sleeving conversion that will start Thursday (when the first batch of sleeves arrive) is:

Marvel (all sets) = Red
    DC (all sets) = Blue
    D&D = Light Green
    YuGiOh = Purple
    TMNT = Dark Green
    Downton Abbey = Gold

I realize that the last two sets aren't out yet, but I have plans.

I totally wanted to use Brown or Orange for YuGiOh, but I wasn't able to find binders at Office Despot in those colors. C'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    How well does that work, Scorpion (Ultra Pro holgram aside)? Do the Ultra Pros push the Perfect Size off when doing the double or do they hang tight OK? (I'm surprised now that I think about it that I actually haven't tried that combo.)
    The Perfect Size sleeves live up to their name.

They are perfectly sized.

Not only do they not bend the card, they also fit perfectly inside an Ultra Pro.

You very occasionally get a small amount of pushing when the outer sleeve is almost all the way on, but this seems to be due to trapped air, and can be easily resolved by inserting your forefinger between the inner and outer sleeve, behind the card, and then using your thumb to pull the outer sleeve whilst your forefinger pushes the inner one.

Oh, and I colour code by rarity:

Starter Common: Black.
    Basic Actions: Brown.
    Booster Commons: White.
    Uncommons: Green.
    Rares: Yellow.
    Super Rares: Red.
    Promos and OPs: Light blue.

Not yet seen a Purple I like for the Chase Rares.

I use Ultra Pro sleeves.

Marvel = red
    DC = blue
    Yu-Gi-Oh! = orange
    D&D = purple
    TMNT = green

I don't use black because my son uses it for all his cards.

I must have missed the sleeve color memo. There is a surprising amount of similarity. So far, three people have reported using sleeve color to differentiate the different IP universes. Results:

Marvel - Red x3
    YuGiOh - Orange x2, Purple x1
    DC - Blue x3
    D&D - Green x2, Purple x1
    TMNT - Green x2

...so EVERYONE chose Red for Marvel and Blue for DC. 2 of 3 chose Orange for YGO and Green for D&D.

My thought was to try to keep every set in a different color, not just every IP in a different one. Given the rate of releases of sets, I think I'm going to have to abandon that, but for right now my sets are as follows, based mostly on the colors used in the gravity feeds (and sleeve availability):

AvX: Dark Red (dominant package color)
    UXM: Dark Blue (ditto)
    YGO: Gold (red already used, so gold color from picture background)
    BFF: Black (dominant package color)
    JuL: Purple (top of gravity feed is purple)

Here is my reasoning for my selections:

Marvel = Red, because the logo is red.
    DC = Blue... because, well, the same.
    D&D = Light green, because dragons are green and the binder I already had them in is light green.
    YGO = Purple, because Office Despot had purple binders (but no orange or brown) and purple is boss.
    TMNT = Dark green, because turtles are green too.

That's my logic anyway.

EDITops, Scott already posted this...