Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vassal 3.0

Vassal 3.0

I just wanted to note that tonight we posted Vassal 3.0 to the Vassal Engine Website.

Here is what has changed:
    All Dice Master Sets have been moved into Module Extensions, One per Set. The Base Module (DiceMasters3.0.vmod) no longer contains any cards at all!!
    To Load the Extensions(Card Sets), right-click on the Module and ADD EXTENSION or just download the Complete Zip and unzip it.
    The Play Mats have been revamped into the Main Window. This allows us to Zoom on the Dice and Cards, we are still working on card arrangement and feedback is welcomed
    The play mats were combined in a first step to moving to a 3 person version, and a doubles version, needless to say, we are going there!
    We re-organized all of the cards, again, sigh!
    We basically organized into the IP Properties, then used the 'common' abbreviations for the individual sets. Because they can all be turned off / on individually now, you might see the anchor IP Property names empty
    Each set is sorted into the list by the first grouping, so the OP Kit breaks up the nice sorting, but it isn't too bad at the moment.
    Lastly, we worked hard to make sure the old teams load into the team window. If you followed the "How to Save a Team" instructions, they should continue to load fine.
    If you saved them into the OLD Main Window / Card Area, it is going to be a MESSY AFFAIR loading your teams!
    Also, with the Card Re-organization into the Extension Sets, there are a few cards that just refuse to load from old logfiles. If you re-save the team, it will fix it.

ALSO, if you check the Vassal page closely, you will see some other extensions not included into the "Complete" release. We aim to continue with pre-release set extensions. Have them separated out now makes updating individual components, and adding features easier. So currently, there are new extensions for Amazing Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a custom Community Cards from Board Game Geek by Gene Moore (lwdgames).

Brief Support Statements:
    So to Load Complete: Download the Zip file, Unzip in your Vassal Directory or other Folder. Open Vassal, Select Open Module, and Open the DiceMasters3.0.vmod, make sure to leave the sub-directory DiceMasters3.0_ext in the same directory as DiceMasters3.0.vmod
    So to Load base Module / Extensions: Download the files. First Open the Base Module into the Vassal Module selector, then Right Click on the Base Module and select ADD EXTENSION, select the extension file. Repeat the right-click ADD EXTENSION till all extensions are added.
    HELP!!! I GOT NO CARDS with Version 3.0 -> All the Cards have been moved into the extensions, one for each released set. Just exit the module and in the Vassal Module Selection, Right-click and ADD EXTENSION and select one of the DM Sets.
    If that Still doesn't work, Launch the Base Module, go online, and ask for some help.
    Updating Extensions, Just download the new version and replace the existing version in the "_ext" sub-directory.

Also, I wanted to mention, We are desperate for decent scans to cut cards from for any of the Spoilers. So you could greatly help us out if you have the whole card and it is relatively clear.

Great to see the progress you're making on this, guys.

Particularly as you're taking some of the ideas I had been talking about, but could never find the time to work on, and are actually implementing them.

There was also a push for 2.5.x to version 2.5.2 to align the game piece organization so that people whom like the two play mat format can continue using Vassal 2.5.2 with the new module extensions for the foreseeable future, starting with the Age of Ultron Set Extension.

If you downloaded the 3.0 Complete Last night, you may want to grab the Yu-Gi-Oh! Extension. I updated it this afternoon to add Dark Magician Girl Die and resized all of the YGO dice to be the correct size. 5 people hit me up on that alone today.

Dang. I forgot about that missing die. I was told about that a little while back

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    ... a custom Community Cards from Board Game Geek by Gene Moore (lwdgames).
    So glad to see this, I might actually have to download VASSAL just to play with these :P

Yesterday, Necromanticer produced a 132 Card Dark Souls Set. Today, I delivered unto Vassal a Dark Souls Extension for version 3.0 and 2.5.2. And, Again, I will be updating the Community Customs periodically, I have another 10ish cards to push today, along with some custom dice.

I also unleashed upon you unsuspecting masses, Semi-Constructed / Hybrid Draft as an extension to version 3.0 and 2.5.2. I use Vassal offline way more than being online; however, as anyone using the module can tell you sometimes, you are just waiting for people to join to play against. Now, during this down time, you can simulate opening boosters! It is easy, select player 1 or 2, then open your hand, then open the boosters window. In the boosters window, you will see packs for each of the released sets. Just click on the pack and two cards will appear in your hand window. There is a limit to the number of cards that can be drawn; however, if you hit that limit, just close the game and start a new one. BANG, like magic. So GO OUT and Enjoy my Personal favorite play style. We call it the Fearsome Fours.

Also, coming soon, a How to Create Your Own Extension with Custom Cards and Dice for Vassal. In this guide, I will walk you through creating a new extension for Vassal, Image Requirements, Dice Requirements, and then how to stitch it all together. So the community can create content and cards without waiting on 1 person to do this or that. Will there be chaos? Will there be hundreds of extensions? Will creativity abound? Probably a little of all of these things; however, no one ever prospered without taking chances.

Thanks for putting all that work in. I really appreciate it!

I just pushed Community Update 1.0.2 to Vassal. Direct Link

Some new cards added, including Farscape Characters, The Reserve Pool Network, Riddler, and TRP Evan's cards from his missing article posted today.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY to all of the Americans, and for the rest of the world, Happy Updates!!!

So I thought I would post my plans for the next few weeks. First, I am taking a vacation from 7/14 - 7/21 to a place where Internet and cellular service is questionable at best. So, in the midst of the Age of Ultron release, I am going to be on vacation. I have already secured my Age of Ultron items at my FLGS(Be There Games). So this means there will not be an Age of Ultron extension update until after 7/21. My apologies in advance, I know some of the cards are not the best; however, Trust me, I will be scanning and updating as soon as I can get my GFs and starter set open.

Second, there will be an Organized Play extension update this week, with both Trinity War Month 3 and Dungeons and Dragons Month 2. I suspect that it will either be Thursday afternoon or Friday during the day when this will be pushed. Trinity War Month 3 OP Kit is already in the Organized Play extension, this is merely an art refresh for that one.

Third, there is a Custom Community update planned for being pushed on Saturday Morning. Currently, there are only three outstanding cards that I have seen, so PM me if your cards did not make it into the recent update, definitely not trying to slight anyone. So, keep the custom cards coming.

Fourth, Anyone that has seen me online with Vassal this weekend might have noticed a working 3.0.1 module update. I am working on the Snap-to-Grid on the play mat for the cards, which hopefully, I will have completely working shortly. I am also testing some keyboard commands to re-spawn action dice. Currently, there are different action dice and sidekick dice in the Community Customs module. While not perfect representations of the collectors dice (I could not find a marbilization at 50px X 50px that did not drive me crazy), it does allow some variations. I have also been toying with moving the Main Play Mat into a new Self Contained window, this would allow us to move the window and keep the chat open in separate windows. However, this would also allow me to add Third and Fourth players to the game, along with mats for Triplet and Doubles. So in short, it is being worked on actively. When it will be out, not 100% sure.

As always, keep playing, and updates are coming!

@Wargfn Wow, after all you've done, I think that you're coming upon a break well earned. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we're incredibly appreciative of all the work that's being done to drive the Vassal platform ever onward. I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.

I have also been toying with moving the Main Play Mat into a new Self Contained window
    Going back to how it was previously?

I thought having the play mat, along with the cards, in the main window was a vast improvement.

The only change I would have made would be to have the cards together, in two rows, at the bottom, rather than around the play mats, and then made the play mats bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Going back to how it was previously?

I thought having the play mat, along with the cards, in the main window was a vast improvement.

The only change I would have made would be to have the cards together, in two rows, at the bottom, rather than around the play mats, and then made the play mats bigger.
    Snap to grid is making my life difficult. I have been toying around with a lot of formats. In all of them the Two mat board is still there, and just playing around with location of cards and dice within that mat window. The main issue for moving them to a new window is that if you have two monitors people like two move the chat away. Also, you are unable to hide the main board once selected. You are however able to hide a new window, which allows you to switch between two and 4 players without restarting the module.

Yeah, it's a shame you can't undock the chat window.

I never got as far as looking in to this but I was under the impression that you could change the board without restarting the module and that it should be possible to have it so that you choose between numbers of players (and therefor boards) when you create a new game.

Is that not so?

And regarding snap to grid, are you aware that you can nest grids within defined areas of the board?

here is a sample of what things look like for me right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 8.19.25 PM.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	1722

here is a sample of what things look like for me right now. Doubles working but not sized and ordered, also going to need to fix the life counters. Still set at 20 instead of 30.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 8.19.25 PM.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	1722

Ah, so you can open/close the different play modes via the buttons on the toolbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Ah, so you can open/close the different play modes via the buttons on the toolbar?
    So far yes, might go back to forced board choices when starting. All in all, I am sure we will continue making footsteps forward.

So far yes, might go back to forced board choices when starting. All in all, I am sure we will continue making footsteps forward.
    Either way I can see that I left it in good and capable hands.

Okay some updates before I leave for Vacation:

I am on track for the Community Custom Extension update prior to leaving. It will be posted tomorrow morning.

The OP Kit for Trinity War Month 3 made it into the Organized Play Module. The D&D Month 2 OP Kit is lost in the Post right now. So unless a miracle alignment happens, it will not be in the update.

Vassal Draft has been updated to version 1.3 and now supports both Yu-Gi-Oh and Age of Ultron. When I return, I would like to hold a discussion on improvements to the module and hear what people want before I tackle integration; so I do not have as many things to update when new sets hit. Currently, it takes about an hour to post a set update into the draft module (that is after images are set for the other extensions).

Vassal Base Module has been pushed to 3.0.1 today. Snap to Grid is working for the cards, and it is way easier to drag and drop your teams from the Team Window onto the Board(s). I decided to go with the select-able board from the menu bar. It just seems more inline to have the floating window, stead of having to pick it as an embedded main board. People with Multiple Monitors will rejoice. Also, big push into the base module is Dice Masters Doubles' Board. I included a how to play DM Doubles and a link to the rules on Wizkids site. Extra step to playing is opening one of those two boards to play on. Both are isolated so no worries about contamination or cross pulling dice. Also, @simage was working on a 1 vs 1 vs 1 board. I might include it in a future update.

As always, you can PM me here, shoot me an email, and / or harass me on Facebook for issues. May you always have enough energy to field your characters, I will see ya'll shortly.

Just to clarify, 3.0.1 hasn't hit the module pages yet right? If so, it's not labeled 3.0.1, correct?

Nevermind, I just downloaded it, and there is a difference, but the file is still called 3.0.

Question, do I need to download new versions of my extensions? or are they just plug and play?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Just to clarify, 3.0.1 hasn't hit the module pages yet right? If so, it's not labeled 3.0.1, correct?

Nevermind, I just downloaded it, and there is a difference, but the file is still called 3.0.

Question, do I need to download new versions of my extensions? or are they just plug and play?
    The Module name is still 3.0 in order to keep from having to change any extensions. You can just replace the base modules and the current extensions will work just fine. Also, Community Customs, War of Light, and Organized Play extensions have all be updated within the last 24 hours. No New Cards in War of Light yet, and still working on spoiler card cuts.

Some Updates for Vassal 3.0:
    First, Card Scans for all but 2 cards is complete, Version 1.0.3 for DiceMastersAgeofUltron.vmod posted. Also, you will be seeing the Full Art Cards once again shortly. They are present in the module, but I will create the cards once I get back home. I have some of the other full art cards that will also be pushed into the module shortly.

Second, the SemiConstructed Module has also be updated with new AoU Card art. I also updated the draft portion to include player hands for 4 people, this will allow a sealed draft for Doubles now (everyone opens 12 packs and makes a 4 character team from the packs).

I will be updating the dice for AoU for the washed out ones from the card scans, but have put this on low priority this week as I am still enjoying my vacation.

Updates to Vassal for 8/8/2015:

New Community Customs Extension updates, lots of new cards and proxies added. Enjoy the fun, a Dragonball Z set coming soon.
    Organized Play extension updated with D&D M3 OP, Trinity War M4 OP, and about 1/2 of the Full-Art Cards

More cards coming soon!!!