Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: Tuning Your Deck: A Struggle for the Center

Dang it Dave, I just spent an hour making a team, then I read this, now I have to scrap almost my whole team...

aka... thanks, awesome stuff!

You nailed the concept perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Dang it Dave, I just spent an hour making a team, then I read this, now I have to scrap almost my whole team...

aka... thanks, awesome stuff!
    Sarkhan, let's make it fun! What was your original team? Have you evolved it yet? If not, let's work it out here. If so, to what? Let's do it. Show us the team and talk about the threats you've identified.

Ok, but it's a little cup team... So choices are limited.

I wanted to keep it secret until I had it ready for a Vassal match...

But as long as @RJRETRO and @Shadowmeld don't see it, I guess its ok.... :-)

:avx64:

No changes made yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The answers should come in this order: Globals > Character Abilities > Nonbasic Actions > Basic Actions.
    This is what made me want to rethink my build. My globals are NOT answers...

Also, having injection fairy Lily And Ant-Man makes my team too linear...?

Thought about taking IFL out for time wizard, for my own personal pxg...

Also, I don't have an answer for a level 3 problematic character...

Little cup makes it fun to deal with limitations.
    @SarkhanMad talk a little about your plan and what is on the board when this team wins. What common worries you when you see it on the other side of the board?

plan is to semi-rush with "angry" ant-man and black luster soldier.
    (injection fairy Lily if opponent has magic missile)
    All the while, throwing batarangs at would be blockers.
    I'm assuming little cup format will see lots of action die use, so I put Constantine in there.

let me give your request for information some more thought, and I'll post back later...

Ok, first, I'd say that you just pick IFL. She's going to be more consistent for the reasons you identify and less susceptible to "do X damage" removal. That frees up a slot, and now your win condition is narrower. No point in having two of the same thing for a single point of damage on level three, and now she can potentially block without being problematic too. I like the use of Black Luster, should be great fun.

What damage are you worried about to make you include Human Paladin & Vibranium Shield?

What action die worries you specifically for Constantine?

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
    You nailed the concept perfectly.
    Thanks man, we'll have to keep coming up with crazy stuff.

What damage are you worried about to make you include Human Paladin & Vibranium Shield?
    Magic Missile
    firestorm
    cheetah
    red Dragon global
    any breath weapon
    pyro
    also to stop opponent from pinging their own nova...

What action die worries you specifically for Constantine?
    gearing up
    power bolt
    fireball
    any of the overcrush
    polymorph
    and
    IMPRISONED!!! (evil, just evil)

MM, Firestorm, Cheetah, are all two damage abilities, so Vibranium Shield will also reduce them to one, just like Paladin would. Pyro, RDG, Cheetah also just do one, so VS negates them completely. Only Blue Dragon does more than two damage with breath weapon at common.

So really the only thing with >2 damage that you're worried about is a single card that costs six. I say drop Human Paladin. His global is superfluous, EDIT: FORGET what I said about character ability, I was thinking about experience.

If you're worried about action dice, why not consider common Doomcaliber Knight and get the definite counter?

Paladin ability for:
    distraction
    transfer power/mystic box
    storm ww

I went back to that doom caliber probably 4 times in my searching. sooo cool, but I never pulled the trigger...

The answers should come in this order: Globals > Character Abilities > Nonbasic Actions > Basic Actions.
    I think I understand the reasoning behind this, but you state it without any justification at all.

So, why?

Ok, yeah, forget what I said about Pally. Hm. I feel like he and Vibranium shield occupy a similar space but not quite. Wish there was a way to consolidate. I think that Distraction is a fair concern to have.

Boils down to availability and consistency.

Globals - available to both, no die commitment, available as long as you have an energy.
    Character Abilities - available to only you, must commit a die, must roll character, but can be a body for blocking and attacking, BEG discounts, etc.
    Nonbasic Actions - available to only you, must commit a die, must roll action face
    Basic Actions - available to both, must commit a die, must roll action face

Thanks. That's what I thought. Not sure I entirely agree, however.

I find global based answers often work as well against one's own team as they do in favour of it.

So I would order them, thusly:

Characters > non-basic actions > globals > basic actions.

And in many instances I would raise non-basic actions above characters.

Well there are no absolutes. I could consider situations where any of these would rank first. It's not about what you include first, it's about what you look to first. If you look to the global first and think "this could hurt me just as much as help" then you move to the next.

If I'm running Gobby, and I'm worried about Breath Weapon, I'm obviously not going to include Human Paladin.

It's more about a hierarchy and I think that in general, looking for answers (and ruling out answers) in that order tends to help you most.

We're talking about ways to nullify threats to your team here more than anything else.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Where was this article when I was running odds for my world's team? I got so concerned with dice rolls that I abandoned reason elsewhere. Well done guys.

Mine sorta kinda did this a little bit but just hit a wall. Not much I can do about Gobby and seven sidekicks and no shields for my Pally.

I did not, as there wasn't much to champion with it, but I will.

This is a fantastic article, and I'm an even bigger fan of all the conversation that occurred as a result.

Great job Multi-Daves, as well as @SarkhanMad !

What is the win condition? How do we plan to get lethal?
    How many cards makes up the win condition? Too many?
    What cards make my team more consistent in what it wants to do?
    How can I protect my win condition?
    Win Condition is:
    Injection Fairy Lily
    Black Luster Soldier
    Anger Issues

Too many cards?:
    I don't THINK 3 cards is too many...

Makes my team more consistent:
    Red Dragon Global
    Batarang
    Vulnerability

Protection for win Condition: