Thread: Mind Games and Dice Masters:

Mind Games and Dice Masters:

You know poker is about bluffing, right. You sit there across from the other players working on your game face and try not to give away your plan. I remember decades ago when I played Magic the Gathering, I was notorious for doing little things to distract my opponent as they tried to figure out what my deck’s actual winning condition was. I would make a creature team that was actually a direct damage team. I played a lot of blue to counter my opponent partially because it threw them off. Can you do this in Dice Masters? I mean everything is out in the open, you can see your opponents dice, you know the energy they have the actions, characters. You can with work keep track of what is in your opponent’s bag. How much bluffing or mind games can you play?
    I say there is a place for tricksters in dice masters, and I think it is two different forms,

Building and playing.

The most obvious one is Building tricks into your team, the trickster combos, something new and different, something not seen often. The problem with this is more the fact it only works for a short time. Then it is not a trick anymore.
    Playing is different.

Playing is knowing the ins and outs of cards, and multiple ways of using cards in less obvious ways. Good knowledge of the cards, but what is also important is how other players will react to cards. Here are some examples.

How many of you get a little emotional response when you see these cards? Jealousy, Anger, Fear Frustration, annoyance? Anyone? You see to me that is pretty important. If you get frustrated at a card or even cocky and overconfident because you know you have the answer to that card. Because people have been looking for answers to these cards, they have taken the time to make something specifically work, against these cards. The fun part is as a Mind Player these cards have little to do with my teams, they may be there but they are not the real end condition. These cards are to just divert your concern. They are to mess with your tempo, it is diverting you from your game plan.

So how much do you agree with this? More importantly can you think of a time that you gave up just a little because of a card or a team? Have you changed what you were going to do because of just seeing what your opponent brought. This is a form of the mind game, if it knocks you off your tempo, or you change the winning game plan because of something they are playing or the way they play it that causes an emotional response, then the mind game works!

So what can you do about this?

How do you handle the mind game?

Do you think this even exists in Dice Masters?

My current favourite 'mind game' is buying Blue-Eyes.

I mean, no-one buys Blue-Eyes, right?

He's there purely for his global.

Yeah, right...

Bring 4 dice for PXG, watch their head explode.

I would play a fairly established team but swap 1 card out for something completely unexpected (maybe like the rare Solomon Grundy from Worlds) just to get the opponent thinking "what the heck is that card doing there?"

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Common Vixen. The "Uh, what?" face is classic.

Sometimes I pretend I'm doing combat math when I'm really just dividing by zero.

Quote Originally Posted by AJV1785 View Post
    @Jthomash2 ... Time to bring out the all vanilla team!
    We really need some kind of action that pumps vanilla characters...

"Target character with no rules text gets +3A, Overcrush, and can't be the target of global abilities until end of turn"

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Or replaces character text. Adds a cost to the use of action dice, but there's value there if the character starts blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    My current favourite 'mind game' is buying Blue-Eyes.

I mean, no-one buys Blue-Eyes, right?

He's there purely for his global.

Yeah, right...
    I bought him in the swiss rounds at Worlds!

I tell them my name is Dean Leyland!!!
    puts them on tilt, quick!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dicetowerwithgooglyeyes.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1104

This is how I play mind games. One look at the Googly Eyed Dice Tower is enough to let all of my opponents know that I am serious and that my Dice Masters is Serious Business.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    I tell them my name is Dean Leyland!!!
    puts them on tilt, quick!
    Hope you've got the beard to match

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post

This is how I play mind games. One look at the Googly Eyed Dice Tower is enough to let all of my opponents know that I am serious and that my Dice Masters is Serious Business.
    Man, I though I knew how to intimidate people. Clearly I need to step my game up.

Quote Originally Posted by saitoh155 View Post
    I just keep a spare Gobby around and right before we start playing I rip it in half and throw it at my opponent. Then growl at him.
    I do the same thing, except with the rare Blue-Eyes. Because screw the rules: I have money! (not really, but don't let them know that)

I try to make teams that the win condition isn't obvious at first. Direct Damage? Got it. painful choices? Got it. Board sweep? Got it. I play reactively, so my team has to reflect this. You want to cycle Magic Missile dies at me over and over? 2 can play this game, only I can do it a little better. Keep 2 different cards that achieve the same win condition so they don't know who to shutdown. Or my yet to play favorite, a different take on the game. Both players start with all their cards face down (leave cost and type on the back) and all character dice in a separate bag. Once they buy 1 dice from one of their cards, they can flip over that card. Now any global or ability is able to be used for that flipped card. Continue this until the game is over or you have bought at least one of each character.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post

So brilliant. You're my favourite.