Thread: Polymorph and the Attack Step

Polymorph and the Attack Step

A combo I have been using is to attack with a Stirge that is only block able by adventurers against teams with no adventurers. I then use a poly to swap the Stirge out, after blockers would have been assigned, with a character recently purchased in my used, a level one bruiser that is now unblocked.

This brings up several interactions that raise some questions.

Here is the text of the question I have submitted to WizKids. Interested in everyone's opinions.

I need some clarification about polymorph usage during the attack step.

Ex. 1
    I have a newly purchased Wolverine Formerly Weapon Ten in my used, I have two non sidekick characters fielded, let's say an Ant-Man and a Psylocke. In my reserve I have a Polymorph on the action face.

I attack with Ant-Man. The opponent blocks with a sidekick. I use the action die to swap the Ant-Man out for Wolverine. Since Wolverine is attacking alone does he get the bonus or does the bonus only get applied when he is assigned to attack alone at the beginning of the attack step.

Ex 2.
    Same scenario but with Canucklhead. Is the Wolverine die now unblockable?

Ex 3.
    Same scenario but with the She-Hulk that needs two dice to block to block her. What happens in this situation.

Regarding the Wolverines: their ability triggers when they are assigned to attack. You did not assign them to attack. So their ability does not come in to effect.

The She Hulk question is an interesting one, but I think the reasoning will be along the lines of the above. Her ability comes in to effect when blockers are assigned. You have circumvented that step by using Polymorph. Therefore her ability is ignored. And she is considered blocked. Even though by only one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Regarding the Wolverines: their ability triggers when they are assigned to attack. You did not assign them to attack. So their ability does not come in to effect.

The She Hulk question is an interesting one, but I think the reasoning will be along the lines of the above. Her ability comes in to effect when blockers are assigned. You have circumvented that step by using Polymorph. Therefore her ability is ignored. And she is considered blocked. Even though by only one character.
    Man you are everywhere lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    Man you are everywhere lol
    I have no life.

I have no life.
    I don't know whether to be sad or amused lol. Enjoyed your blog post on the UK event btw.

Agree, When Attack abilities happen when assigned to attack, this would be Ant-man at that point.

Not really interesting, the FAQ for Teleport specifically answers this, once blocked, they stay blocked, even though her ability states that two have to block her. Ant-man was on the board when blockers were declared and one blocker is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Not really interesting...
    I meant interesting in the sense of it illustrating an important aspect of the way that Polymorph interacts with, and distorts, the rules.

I'm not really sure you can use Polymorph this way at all. While you can swap an attacking character for different one, the new would be on field, but it should not be attacking as it was not assigned as an attacker. Unless swap means that character placed in takes over whatever status was assigned to character removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiktor Makowski View Post
    I'm not really sure you can use Polymorph this way at all. While you can swap an attacking character for different one, the new would be on field, but it should not be attacking as it was not assigned as an attacker. Unless swap means that character placed in takes over whatever status was assigned to character removed.
    No, you can use Polymorph in this way. It's no different than using the action Teleport, which we already know from the original FAQ can be used to swap an attacker for another die from the used pile.

Gah, risking brainsplosion trying to wrap my mind around such a ruling, so I will have to take it for granted without hoping to understand it.

I wonder how I can incorporate this new way to abuse polymorp into my current team...

You want a really fun combo?

Same Stirge setup you're already using, Polymorph in Hulk - Anger issues (yeah, the one no one uses), and then pump him using pings/polymorph global. Beware Distraction, so it would be good to use Human Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    You want a really fun combo?

Same Stirge setup you're already using, Polymorph in Hulk - Anger issues (yeah, the one no one uses), and then pump him using pings/polymorph global. Beware Distraction, so it would be good to use Human Paladin.
    Your an evil man, that is why I like you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Your an evil man, that is why I like you so much!

Damn it Necro, now you are stealing my evil!!!!

I too like this, was just thinking about using it to solve one of my problems.

I'm always looking for more sinister setups to annihilate my opponent. As such, blocker manipulation characters are always high on my list of strategies that are ripe for abuse. It's for reasons like this combo that my biggest fear is my opponent running Lord of D. Ring. If you want to spoil my fun, that's the way to go.

I was not aware Polymorph worked like this! There are so many uses for Polymorph, it's crazy.

- "Field" a character you just purchased for free
    - "Field" a character face you rolled for free (in the attack step, at level 1)
    - Send an opponent's character to used
    - Swap attackers for trickiness

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    - "Field" a character face you rolled for free (in the attack step)
    Huh?

If you don't field a character die that's on its face in the main step, it goes to used. During the attack step, you can then field it for free using Polymorph. I believe we discussed this in another thread (Michael L. did this during Worlds, if I understood it correctly).

Oh, right, but it is still level one. That was what threw me. You said "face you rolled" and I was wondering how you got my level 3 face out there.

Whew, was worried I got that wrong again. Clarified slightly in the edit