Thread: D&D BFF Constructed 6/9/2015

D&D BFF Constructed 6/9/2015

Our weekly play group decide to give D&D constructed a try this week. We've drafted the D&D set but haven't ever constructed teams with it before. There were lots of fun options that were tempting to try. I considered building a team that used this guy as the win condition.

I was concerned that his cost was too high to get him out reliably. He's also not at all easy to knock out.

In draft Paragon Beast Umber Hulk is pretty amazing. I thought about trying a team centered around using him to clear blockers.

Since he only hits level 1 & 2 dice with a 50% chance I decided he was too unreliable as well.

Using unblockable and hard to block characters seems good. I still might give that a shot some time. D&D has plenty of options.

Although I didn't go that route I'd still like to give that a try if we do this again.

I'm also a huge fan of this beast as a win condition.

In the end I decided to go with what I knew. I've toyed with both Swarm and Breath Weapon in other constructed teams. Combining the two with a few anti-meta cards seemed like the best idea. Here's the team I played to a 3-0 record.

The Kobolds are simply there to swarm more dice to roll each turn. If you get stuck fielding more than one you can Polymorph the extra away.
    Zombie's pseudo regeneration is decent against opposing breath weapons. It turns out I didn't need to purchase one all night.
    The Paladin is mostly there to keep Magic Missile's global from hurting my Kobolds. I didn't need him all night either.
    Manticore was amazing. He stops opposing Sidekicks, Kobolds, Stirges, and a few others.
    The dragon trio is there for the large body and breath weapon.
    Prismatic Spray, in theory, will clear all kinds of nasty text off blockers. I was specifically concerned about regeneration. Turns out I didn't need it.

1st round I faced Tarak. He had a lot of little rush characters but I got a wall of blockers up. After that it was just a matter of waiting to get lethal damage on the board so I can breath weapon.

2nd round vs Tyler - He went first and started messing with my bag by purchasing and fielding multiple Halfling Thief Apprentice. I got a Manticore on the board to buy some time and hinder his Kobold Swarm. After that I was able to purchase dragons, Poly, then breath weapon.

3rd round vs Kye - He opened with unblockable Stirge and Invisible Stalker. I fielded Manticore to slow down his Stirge. The Stalkers were picking away at my life total in chunks. There really wasn't much I could do about that except race to lethal breath weapon, which I did.

I missed playing two "good" affiliation teams that used gear, Unicorns and Half-Orc Fighters.

Beside regeneration, I think this team could have problems with this card. You can't use breath weapon to remove the blockers. Polymorph can't touch it either.

Overall it was a lot of fun exploring the D&D set for stand alone constructed. I think there's enough diversity that I'm willing to try it again with an all new team.

Nice team!! This looks great, how many Kobold dice did you get? My groups alway grab as many kobolds as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Nice team!! This looks great, how many Kobold dice did you get? My groups alway grab as many kobolds as possible.
    I used 4 Kobold dice to maximize the Swarm effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I used 4 Kobold dice to maximize the Swarm effect.
    Did you have issues with opponents accumulating Experience with their Adventurers from KO'ing your Kobolds? This has been my struggle when playing D&D in set.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    Did you have issues with opponents accumulating Experience with their Adventurers from KO'ing your Kobolds? This has been my struggle when playing D&D in set.
    No, but that's one reason I chose the rare Kobold over the uncommon. Overall our store group seems to like the D&D set best. Despite playing several drafts and some constructed with D&D, the experience mechanic almost never works. Similar to Heroic, I've found it to be a cool idea but not practical for game play.