Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age of Ultron "Product Notices" posted

Age of Ultron "Product Notices" posted

Set isn't even out yet, but thankfully we already know what needs fixed!

http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/aou_notices/

Product Notices
    The following are corrections and clarifications to Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron.

Cards receiving errata:

(105) Wasp: Bio-Electric Blasts

Her sub-title is misspelled as: “Bio-Electirc Blasts” and should be corrected to “Bio-Electric Blasts”

Her text should read:

Each time you use a Global Ability, Wasp gets +1A and +1D until end of turn. You may only use this ability once per turn for each Global Ability.

Global: Pay [2]. Deal 1 damage to target character die.

(131) Star-Lord: Element Gun

He shows a Shield energy in his purchase cost. It should be a Fist energy.

All cards in the Checklist should have 10 added to their listed number. So Baron Zemo #24 is actually Baron Zemo #35.

The following cards are missing a rarity stripe (all are common):

35 Baron Zemo: Helmut J. Zemo

36 Beast: Dr. Hank McCoy

38 Bucky: James Buchanan Barnes

40 Captain Marvel: Maj. Carol Danvers

41 Captain Universe: Tamara Devoux

42 Daredevil: Matthew Murdock, Attorney-at-Law

43 Enchantress: Amora

44 Gamora: Assassin

46 Groot: Reincarnated

49 Hyperion: Eternal

51 Jocasta: Titanium Body

52 Kang: The Conqueror

53 Loki: Loki Laufeyson

54 Loki’s Scepter: Magic

56 Moondragon: Heather Douglas

57 Nick Fury: Sgt. Fury

58 Odin: The All-Father

59 Pepper Potts: Personal Secretary of Tony Stark

60 Phil Coulson: Inspirational Leader

61 Red Skull: Johann Schmidt

62 Rocket Raccoon: “Blam! Murdered you!”

64 S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier: Iliad

65 Spider-Woman: Jessica Drew

66 Starhawk: Stakar Ogord

67 Star-Lord: Peter Jason Quill

68 Thanos: Courting Death

74 Wonder Man: Simon Williams

I'd rather they hold on production and just release a finished product. I'm getting really put off by the seemingly constant errors they keep pushing through to keep up with their breakneck release schedule...

Do you know how long a production run takes, from the run being started to product hitting the shelves, @Necromanticer ?

Also how much money they would lose if they were to scrap an entire production run now?

Or even how practical that is?

In short: the first print run of AoU is already on boats, possibly even just starting to hit distributors warehouses. They would have to recall everything. It would be incredibly expensive. And even if they'd started a new print run, with all these errors corrected, as soon as they were spotted, it would push AoU's release back by several months.

Preface: I love this game!! And I'm an huge advocate of Positivity.

I don't expect anyone to destroy product or want anyone to lose money.

I do expect higher standards. Of the 132 character cards 30% of the set has an error.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a gap somewhere between WizKids and their printer. They just need someone to make another pass after the demo page but before they print that first run.

I'm attempting to be constructive here, but maybe this is a good thing, because it's a sign to Wizkids that they really need to get on the ball when it comes to their proofreading and overall quality control. This obviously isn't the first time, but I've never seen anything this bad before from them, or anyone. It might also be destiny that because of a lack of text saying a certain die can't be re-rolled, the HeroClix Worlds Final lasted less than seven minutes because of a really broken piece that the "starcitygames" (a private tournament organization for Magic that is HUGE) of HeroClix (The ROC) has already banned for their own tournaments, never banning anything before.

This could be a good time to revisit their proofreading and overall quality control, and maybe look at hiring some new people, or implementing new strategies. The main HeroClix guy, I think Scott, as he was "announcing" during the Worlds Final, had this look of absolute shock and disbelief and "oh no" (lol) when the game ended and he was still trying to explain all the powers all the different pieces on the board had.

I'm just saying that this could be a good opportunity to look at this mistake, realize the magnitude of it is bigger than previous runs (at least of anything I've seen from them, or anywhere else for that matter), and revisit their strategies, employees, and methodology. It sounds like they already are on some sort of path towards this, if they're going to release this ahead of time, rather than watch us in a frenzy trying to figure it all out for ourselves.

I really do think it's a simple matter of just needing to free college interns who are really into gaming to work for them, and do their proofreading; in fact, I know plenty of people who would volunteer for free. I think Wizkids is going to look at this as a learning experience, because, as noted before, I've never seen them release something like this ahead of a set with misprints/problems.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    Preface: I love this game!! And I'm an huge advocate of Positivity.

I don't expect anyone to destroy product or want anyone to lose money.

I do expect higher standards. Of the 132 character cards 30% of the set has an error.
    Exactly what I was thinking, I just tried to add some possible solutions and reasons. But... wow... 30% is a big number for printing mistake and still shipping - just saying. I, too, don't think Wizkids should eat the $$ loss and re-print it, but this is a product I (and others) are spending money on, and not everyone goes onto message boards to look up these things, some people just play with their friends or family - they're who I really feel sorry for; all of us are going to have this list memorized (basically) from play and talking about it.

Yeah, I do agree that these errors should have been caught before going to print.

Just like the DC print errors.

Makes me wonder what they've changed, in the process, because AvX, UXM, YGO and DnD all didn't have these kinds of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Yeah, I do agree that these errors should have been caught before going to print.

Just like the DC print errors.

Makes me wonder what they've changed, in the process, because AvX, UXM, YGO and DnD all didn't have these kinds of errors.
    I'm honestly wondering if they really made their proofreader mad or fired their proofreader for some reason at the last second and had people whose job it normally isn't, do the proofreading, because they needed someone to. My first guess along those lines would be the card designers being asked to go over and proofread, and after looking at and making and tweaking these cards for who knows how long, I can easily imagine how one could miss these things.

I honestly think if the company had like, 3 more unpaid interns for proofreading and quality control, plenty of whom I guarantee would volunteer as grown men who already have jobs, these problems would virtually go away.

Oh, and the DC print issues actually affected more of the set.

Every card from #39 to #118, inclusive, has the wrong set number.

That's 80/138 cards. Or just under 58%

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure there is a gap somewhere between WizKids and their printer. They just need someone to make another pass after the demo page but before they print that first run.
    This. Where I work, we get materials printed a lot. Our printers send us multiple proofs to check for errors, and we have to sign off on them before they do the final full print runs. Either no one is doing that, or they're doing a poor job of it based on the last two set errors.

I'm sure War of Light has been printed already, and ASM may have been too. Hopefully they figured out what's the issue already, if not, there's a chance we'll see some more errors in the upcoming sets.

Numbering and rarity stripe is not relevant to playing the game. I can shrug those off, even if I wish they had better QC and proofing.

Putting the wrong energy type on a card really messes with the game. That irritates me. I'm glad for errata, but they really need to be more careful

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Numbering and rarity stripe is not relevant to playing the game. I can shrug those off, even if I wish they had better QC and proofing.

Putting the wrong energy type on a card really messes with the game. That irritates me. I'm glad for errata, but they really need to be more careful
    The wrong energy type made me drop my jaw. That's why I honestly think that, combined with what's happening in Wizkids' other big game, HeroClix, they really aren't hiring as many people as they need to. Obviously just a guess, but that's a really big mistake that would 100% change the game for people who don't go online after buying a game to double check all the rules - which most people don't.

I would love to volunteer my time for a few hours a week to proofread, if they're reading

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Because this is a discussion, and I honestly feel this way, I'll share my opinion.

Preface: I love perfection. I am a little CDO (it's like OCD but in alphabetical order). I also love this game, and the people behind it are generally doing a great job.

How many people feel under staffed and over worked in their current job? Not everyone, I know, but I've worked enough jobs to know that sentiment exists in many work places. What if WK is experiencing similar pressures? I mean, business is good, but administrators mostly have to try and make it better, and one way to do that is to pinch the workers to do more with less. Am I disappointed we have a coughing Cyborg? Yep. But did DC beat my expectations for drafting? By a much larger margin than my disappointments with spelling issues. And given the collectible nature, that shield Star-Lord might be worth some money one day (is not like it's a common after all, it's a rare).

This is not to say that none of these errors matter. I do want to point out we've already spent time discussing the issues with cross energy purchases, and most of those efforts now seem wasted. But there's likely a reasonable cause for these errors. We all expect the highest level of production. But there are people behind this stuff that maybe lost a parent the week they were proofing. It's also just the sixth time they produced a set. I think there have obviously been changes in how they're processes run (just look at card text clarity and phrasing). I think they're listening to the player base. This stuff should have been caught before printing, but I think there's reason to believe they're getting better, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    In Contructed format, you bet!

In a Rainbow Draft format I polite-fully disagree. Rarity stripe is hugely influential on choices. Being colour deficient, I rely on numbering to determine rarity.

I was at Origins and I asked WK personnel how many employees they have. TEN! ONE-ZERO! To make dice masters, heroclix, d&d attack wing, st attack wing, d&d board game, mutant revolution, the list goes on and on.

Should they hire more people? Yes. But that's their parent company's (NECA) call, not theirs. If you need to complain(I wouldn't), direct your ire at NECA. But we should all be grateful and amazed at what WK can pull off with the insanely limited resources they have at their disposal.
    Last edited by Indy Mon; 06-12-2015 at 11:32 AM.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I was at Origins and I asked WK personnel. How many employees they have. TEN! ONE-ZERO! To make dice masters, heroclix, d&d attack wing, st attack wing, d&d board game, mutant revolution, the list goes on and on.
    You forgot to drop the mic. I'm even more impressed with what they're doing. I have 10 direct reports in my tiny hospital pharmacy. 10 fte for all these titles is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    In Contructed format, you bet!

In a Rainbow Draft format I polite-fully disagree. Rarity stripe is hugely influential on choices. Being colour deficient, I rely on numbering to determine rarity.
    I've never drafted based on rarity, but I know some do. So, yeah, while not as important to me, I agree it is a problem.

Oh, I definitely agree, 10 people on staff is amazingly great work. I'm hoping all of the feedback and attention they have been getting of late boosts their numbers enough to warrant the extra proofreader, even if its an intern. But even if it doesn't happen this year, I am pleased they are upping their game on public statements and FAQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    ...I am pleased they are upping their game on public statements and FAQs.
    Good call. They are owning it.

Yikes. I'm sure it's embarrassing to WizKids to have such errors show up. Quick digression before I try to turn these boo-boos into something constructive (trust me, it's relevant):

Over on heroscapers.com, I'm a part of the what's called the C3V. When Heroscape was cancelled, that group took it upon itself to create new units for the game that are every bit as high quality as the original releases were. We take the work into making the card for these units very seriously and obsess over the details. As just said, we want the cards to be every bit as good as official ones, and we don't want to make any mistakes in the execution of the cards (both in terms of gameplay, but also, more to the point of this thread, the layout and "printing" of the cards.) There are multiple checks in our process to make sure things are done well, but the main thing we could export fairly directly to assist Wizkids are detailed checklists. Yep, plain 'ole boring, but detailed checklists. Hasbro had such checklists internally when making Heroscape units and C3V has their own set (can't use Hasbro's). They work. With that in mind...

This may sound crazy, but I think we should consider helping Wizkids with card QC by making detailed checklists of things to check on each card before the final print run. There should be at least three checklists as far as I can tell.

• A checklist of things that have been done to make sure the new card plays in the game well. Help avoid bad interactions with existing cards and such.
    • An editing checklist for the card power text (including things like consistent capitalization for game terms and the like), incorrect card numbering, etc.
    • A card layout checklist to catch things like missing rarity stripes, missing affiliation graphics, graphics matching dice, etc.

We create these checklists and present them to Wizkids, a gift from the fans to support the game we love, for them to use if they wish. (I have a sneaking suspicion if we send them to the right person they will get incorporated in some fashion).

You'll notice that not all of these deal directly with the actual printing of cards, the first deals more with the development of the cards. Why do that too? The upshot of this is even if WizKids doesn't use these checklists (as mentioned above, I think we have a decent shot of getting them consulted in WK), they're still useful. As we, the fans, start moving towards generating our own custom cards, we will be able to use these checklists as well to make sure the cards we make are of the highest quality and play well with the official ones.

I wouldn't want to do such a project alone. If I can get at least a couple of other volunteers to help out, I'll make the beginnings of a first draft for checklists for us to work from.

Is anybody with me?

That is a great idea @Ken. I would love to help in any way I can.