Thread: Article: Behind Blue-Eyes

With Moondragon, it states if KOd "in combat". I always assumed that meant a KO from the attacker/defender, but if it includes KOs from global after attack/block is declared, that opens my eyes a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiX View Post
    With Moondragon, it states if KOd "in combat". I always assumed that meant a KO from the attacker/defender, but if it includes KOs from global after attack/block is declared, that opens my eyes a bit...
    I agree with your assumption. Don't think Moondragon combo would work.

Love this card. Glad I got a copy a while back because I feel like his value is going to start climbing soon. I am playing around with ways to make him work with other cards and I think his potential will be explored more now. Great article!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I agree with your assumption. Don't think Moondragon combo would work.
    Given that there are cards such as Grundy that specify being KO'd by combat damage, not simply in combat, I don't see any reason not to interpret Moondragon's ability as simply being KO'd by any method while in combat.

thanks for me giving me that card! I really like it!

It will need a ruling for certain. I can see it the other way and almost didn't include it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    thanks for me giving me that card! I really like it!

:-) Happy to help a fellow Dice Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    It will need a ruling for certain. I can see it the other way and almost didn't include it.
    I should have hedged my first post more I agree with Dave that it needs a ruling and it could go either way based on past precedent. And Dean's position has a lot of support, is very reasonable, and could ultimately be right. Until an official ruling comes out, I will judge at my events that it doesn't work because:

(A) Grundy says KO by damage other than from an attacker or blocker
    (B) Nova says damage during the attack step
    But
    (C) Moondragon only says in combat
    It's different than either of the other two and, in my mind, in combat means in the clutches of the engaged character, doing combat damage. If they wanted to do it like Nova or Grundy, they could have followed the text from those cards.

But I see both sides totally. I am posting this NOT to initiate a lengthy rules debate that will have no precedential value and thus be useless. Rather, I hope this helps educate judges at events to allow them to make educated decisions while we wait for the official rulings.

I can certainly understand ruling either way, I just know that when I read cards, I tend to err on the side of "Wizkids didn't consider the difference between X and Y when they typed this up." I am probably in the minority there. We haven't yet been given reason to believe that "in combat" and "during the attack step" are functionally different. Just as we haven't been given reason to believe that "takes no damage" and "cannot be assigned damage" are functionally different, etc. They certainly read differently, and I would love to play them differently, but we just don't know what's in the minds of the people creating these things, and there are already cases where we know that slight differences in verbiage actually do play precisely the same.

It's difficult, and it would be good to know if these slight differences in verbiage are actually intended or not. Not just for gameplay purposes, but because one ruling on such a case could at least inform others.

Nice article Dave: definitely more informative than my flavor-focused ramblings.

Great article!
    Cards such as Deathstroke: Villain for Hire specify triggers more specifically than Moondragon (If Deathstroke is KO'd during attacking or blocking, return him to the Field Zone at level 1.) and so I agree that "in combat" can mean other attacks, even BEWD friendly fire, during the attack step.
    Also, minor editing note Dave, you mentioned that Moondragon lets you field for free. The quote above that says you have to pay the fielding costs.

Fixed. Thank you. Though for the sake of argument, if it's a 0 fielding cost... :-)