Thread: Article: Kobolds, Fireballs, Orcs, and Dragons, oh my...

Article: Kobolds, Fireballs, Orcs, and Dragons, oh my...

Excellent article on the draft experience. Can't agree with the "I hate draft" part but very well done. :-)

Thanks, @Dave .

I can understand why yourself, and others, like the Draft format.

I just prefer the more considered approach of Constructed.

Interesting review of the day. It's a shame that there is no write-up from the Super Heroes side as I do not collect Dragon dice. Looking at the poor turnout for your event I'm horrified to see that you passed any criticism on the prize giving. That's a ton of prizes to receive for such a paltry attendance. Count yourself lucky that Esdevium allowed a draft event to go ahead without a minimum of 8 players! Would've made more sense to cancel it and focus on the event with adequate attendance.

I didn't see any details on Facebook announcements pointing towards these events being run as rainbow drafts. Expo web site clearly stated constructed play. Another reason I'm glad not to have been attending this get together. As limited formats go it' a really shonky mode to play under which is a shame as I see a lot of potential for the game to develop.

Based on the fact that Wizkids are insistent on promoting Unlimited play then I don't see much take up for events when the majority of players are collecting Marvel & DC dice only. The game seems resigned to informal play if the guidelines on running organised play events don't receive a significant overhaul. Unfortunately with the upcoming random expansions for turtles (and more) the landscape will only become more confusing for fans of the original game.

Neither are serious collectors interested in playing these naff drafts because by this point their investment has already been made. These players wish to play with the cards & dice they've collected, not spend out on more duplicates!

The main window for limited play to work is when a new set set is being released. The problem here is that Wizkids mysterious release pattern (delay after delay) makes it impossible to schedule release events. This is an incredibly amateurish way to be doing business, by comparison to the longtime proven way of doing things as demonstrated by Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro games.
    Last edited by Werekin; 06-14-2015 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Repeated word error

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Thanks, @Dave .

I can understand why yourself, and others, like the Draft format.

I just prefer the more considered approach of Constructed.
    Yeah, for me, I like the way that draft requires you to be creative within limitations. Constructed is fun but at times it feels like there are too many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Werekin View Post
    Based on the fact that Wizkids are insistent on promoting Unlimited play then I don't see much take up for events when the majority of players are collecting Marvel & DC dice only. The game seems resigned to informal play if the guidelines on running organised play events don't receive a significant overhaul. Unfortunately with the upcoming random expansions for turtles (and more) the landscape will only become more confusing for fans of the original game.
    Wizkids is promoting constructed because with the game so young, they don't want to split the player base. They weren't fans of the fact that people would eschew the worlds events in favor of the rainbow side events that they were providing, though they offered them anyway because they know that some like draft.

If by "fans of the original game" you mean the first Marvel set, it was made clear from the very beginning that multiple IPs would be involved. It was never presented as something that would be superhero-only.

Quote Originally Posted by Werekin View Post
    Interesting review of the day. It's a shame that there is no write-up from the Super Heroes side as I do not collect Dragon dice. Looking at the poor turnout for your event I'm horrified to see that you passed any criticism on the prize giving. That's a ton of prizes to receive for such a paltry attendance.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I think the overall prize pool was great.

As I say in the article, everybody got:

A Premier Event Play Mat.
    Phoenix Force OP card and die.
    Alt-Art Beast.
    Alt-Art Harley.

That, in and of itself, is fantastic.

But, the position prizes were:

4th/3rd: 10 booster packs.
    2nd: 20 booster packs.
    1st: a gravity feed.

So, I don't know about about the 1st, 3rd, or 4th placed players, but I simply felt that the balance between the participation prizes and placement prizes was off.

And would have thought that wherever I had placed.

I simply think that participation prizes should leave you with a sense of "well, it was worth the entry fee just get this", and the place prizes should be the "oh, wow! I got this, and this, and that!" stuff.