Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where did your username come from?

Where did your username come from?

I find it very interesting to see where people's chosen usernames come from. Some (Dave, Randy, Ken) are fairly obvious. Others, like mine, are fairly obscure and/or unintuitive. So, if you wouldn't mind, share where your username comes from.

To start, PK are my initials IRL, and the 2317 comes from a book I read way back in high school: The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. In the book the numbers 23 and 17 have great cosmic/mystical significance (sychronicity), and when I needed to come up with a unique username I used my initials and those numbers. On the plus side, I've yet to come up with a site on which that username isn't available.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Joseph Thomas H., II

Alphans was the name given to Noa Izumi's patrol labor in Patlabor.

In high school my nick name was Willis, due to the similarity to my real name...

Everyone in high school was so friendly; I was constantly being asked of my opinion on things. But I digress.

In art class I created a project where I made a mixed CD of my favoutive songs and designed the Album cover, liner notes, etc. During this process I stumbled upon fun4willis as my fake production company name. FUN4WILLIS is now my username of choice and a bit of a mantra. As opposed to Manta.

Every Sith lord in Star Wars seems like some being of pure evil and malevolence with grandiose plans and a hatred for everything. I get a real kick out of imagining a sort of mediocre Sith who is really only this slightly cynical guy trying to do his best to embody the dark side. The name I have for that Sith lord is Darth Mediocre. I also imagine that his plan for the destruction of the galaxy involves saying mean things to people through the internet, so it is a great name for forums and such even if I never use it for evil.

My mom first considered naming me Kenneth and then almost named me Kendrick (dodged a bullet there), but settled on Ken. I like it's shortness. Heck, when I got married, I took my wife's last name because it was shorter than my "maiden" name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    ...when I got married, I took my wife's last name because it was shorter than my "maiden" name.
    That is awesome! Kudos to you.

I work in a Vape Shop, My name is Dave last name B. Since well the owner of this site has the same name I had to come up with something different.

Despite popular belief, my user name originated before the Warcraft nightelves racial ability. This was the name of my second ever DnD character, and the first one I created from scratch. Hoodwinker of Baravar Cloakshadow, 2nd edition specialty priest in the Living City campaign. Gnome of course.

The Scorpion part of mine originated with one of the N64 WWF wrestling games - myself and bunch of friends created likenesses of ourselves, and gave them 'wrestler names' - mine was Scott Scorpion.

The 0x17 comes partly from being a software engineer and partly from the same source as @pk2317 's numerals (0x17 is 23 in hexadecimal notation).

This is my actual name. I wanted to be able to identify myself to other DM'ers when I met them in real life

If I was using my "normal" username, it would be Olin Froid, after my most memorable D&D character I played in college.

I have used dozens of names since I joined the Internet. RJ is my real life radio name, and I am a retro guy when it comes to a lot of stuff. Just seemed to work.

Back in the 90's I was a big fan of the Wu-Tang Clan. My screen name back then was BobbyDigital191. After college I decided I wanted to change it, mainly because my name wasn't Bobby and I was sick of people calling me that online.

This part sounds made up, but I swear it's true. Around 2003 I decided to change to something different. At the time I had just watched Firefly and thought it was the best show ever. One of the potential name I came up with was DigitalFirefly. As I'm sitting there looking over the potential new screen names, an actual firefly landed on my monitor screen. I took it as a sign and went with DigitalFirefly as my screen name. Lately I've thought about going with something different, but I can't decide on anything. Maybe if I consider changing my name to "MillionDollarJon" a million dollars will land on my monitor.

Alley Viper is one of the many varied Cobra mooks from GI Joe and basically the only internet handle I've used for the past 15-20-however many years now, and continue to more for continuity than anything. If you've seen an alleyviper on a forum somewhere there is a better than even chance it was me.

Back when I did a lot more video gaming than I do now, I needed a screen name. The big one I played was what I believe to be the best first person shooter of all time and I felt like going with the name of a bird of prey for various reasons. The name just stuck. I suppose it mainly comes from the group I used to hang around with all the time. It must be weird, but when you hear a group of people calling you by a certain name all the time, it starts to stick to you, probably more than my real name did at the time. SO from that point, I've just used Osprey as a general moniker for my online stuff.

I lived in England for a few years as a child. For some reason, 'pish posh' is a phrase that I remember from that time of my youth. Many years ago I had to come up with an alias/username for some game or website and that phrase came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Joseph Thomas H., II
    Guess I need to stop pronouncing it "JT-Ho-Mash-2".

Blog Entries
    Good old Homash. Love that nickname!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    I feel bad because I've been pronouncing it that way as well, and I've met JT in person lol.

Blog Entries
    No sweat, guys. It's not exactly clear. But it's never taken when I register for anything and easy to remember

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    This made me laugh a ton. LOVE IT.