Thread: Countering Toad and Human Torch

Countering Toad and Human Torch

A frequent opponent always plays Toad: Tongue Lashing and Human Torch: Johnny Storm.

What's an effective counter, especially to Toad?
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 06-14-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and had the wrong Toad in the post.

is one of my favorite spot removal cards. His biggest downfall is his solid stats which make it a bit harder to cycle him.
    would be another great option since your opponent was nice enough to bring a hulk trigger to the table for you.

Quote Originally Posted by systemskill View Post
    my favorite spot removal cards.
    I initially had the wrong toad listed in this post but I was thinking the same as you and played both of these. With Punisher, all characters were still forced to attack at once, even if I KO'd Toad. Toad almost always was on a burst side and often Punisher as well as most of my other attacking characters were KO'd immediately by taking two damage.

Hulk is great when I can get him out but without PXG in play it's almost impossible until late game. I'll probably need to use PXG next time.

I would think that might be a good place to start, especially with a way to purchase and cycle actions. Add some removal (McRook works well) or control (Loki/Joker... Loker?) and you may be able to stall your opponent long enough to implement your own plan.

Also too, if you stop his Toad, even once, it may stop being one of his favorite cards leaving only Human Torch to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    I would think that might be a good place to start, especially with a way to purchase and cycle actions. Add some removal (McRook works well) or control (Loki/Joker... Loker?) and you may be able to stall your opponent long enough to implement your own plan.

Also too, if you stop his Toad, even once, it may stop being one of his favorite cards leaving only Human Torch to deal with.
    I like this a lot. Use Prismatic Spray to remove Toad's card text for a turn and then use McRook to take him out of the picture. I could've made really good use of this for the last organized event I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    I initially had the wrong toad listed in this post but I was thinking the same as you and played both of these. With Punisher, all characters were still forced to attack at once, even if I KO'd Toad. Toad almost always was on a burst side and often Punisher as well as most of my other attacking characters were KO'd immediately by taking two damage.

Hulk is great when I can get him out but without PXG in play it's almost impossible until late game. I'll probably need to use PXG next time.
    I don't know if you play the Yugioh set at all but BEWD Global would be a good way to buy Green Goliath on turn 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Using something like Mr. Fantastic or Jeanne Grey's global to force them to attack works pretty well to remove their presence.
    I really like this suggestion. Specifically Mr. Fantastic: Brilliant Scientist which reads "Mr. Fantastic gets +2A and +2D while blocking. Global: Pay . Target character must attack this turn" His defensive stats at this cost are unbeatable. That said, his attack is not enough to KO, on level 3, the two specific characters the OP is concerned about.

An interesting way of dealing with these opponent characters may be the Basic Action Imprisoned which states "This die captures any number of opposing characters with a total fielding cost of 2 or less. This effect lasts until canceled or you damage your opponent (return the captured die to the field)." This entirely removes a threat from the field. Please note that this does impact the creation of the rest of the team. You would be wise not to include characters that do direct damage.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    I really like this suggestion. Specifically Mr. Fantastic: Brilliant Scientist which reads "Mr. Fantastic gets +2A and +2D while blocking. Global: Pay . Target character must attack this turn" His defensive stats at this cost are unbeatable. That said, his attack is not enough to KO, on level 3, the two specific characters the OP is concerned about.

An interesting way of dealing with these opponent characters may be the Basic Action Imprisoned which states "This die captures any number of opposing characters with a total fielding cost of 2 or less. This effect lasts until canceled or you damage your opponent (return the captured die to the field)." This entirely removes a threat from the field. Please note that this does impact the creation of the rest of the team. You would be wise not to include characters that do direct damage.
    Well if you gotta just let toad hit you in the face to get him off the field then that's not too bad. At level 1 and 2 (his problematic sides because of the burst) he only hits for 2 or 3. Most of the time though you will have something that can take toad or torch out while blocking. Outside of level 3, they don't have particularly high defense

Letting Toad through is usually better than KO'ing him. He won't comeback from used pile as fast as from prep area.

Definitely. I'll probably play with Mr Fantastic in the future to force him to attack while using some other new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Well if you gotta just let toad hit you in the face to get him off the field then that's not too bad.
    True but my opponent wouldn't attack with him and would only block in situations where he wouldn't be KO'd.