Thread: Evergreen Tabletop Expo (6/20-6/21) Exclusive Dice Masters Prizes (Tacoma, WA)

Evergreen Tabletop Expo Exclusive Dice Masters Prizes (6/20-6/21 @ Tacoma, WA)

Evergreen Tabletop Expo Exclusive Prizes (Tacoma, WA)
    Just got my hands on the ETX exclusive prizes for this weekend's Dice Masters Constructed and Rainbow Draft ETX Championships! Come to the Tacoma Convention Center this weekend for your chance to win these, and lots of other great prizes--outstanding prize support for top 16 and better for both events (details in the WES links, below). To make it even better: Dice Masters co-creator Mike Elliott will be at ETX from 3-5 pm on Saturday.
    Constructed (Saturday June 20 @ 4:00 pm): http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=114607
    Rainbow Draft (Sunday June 21 @ 9:00 am): http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=114845
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0017.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	6.30 MB 
ID:	1117

How did it go? What was the turnout like? Super-competitive or mostly casual players?

Also, was it cool to have Mike Elliott there?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    How did it go? What was the turnout like? Super-competitive or mostly casual players?

Also, was it cool to have Mike Elliott there?
    Thanks for asking. The turnout was small but the competition was fierce. World Champion Qualifiers won the Constructed and Rainbow Draft events.

As this has been my first year of organizing gaming events, I've noticed that Seattle-area organizers suffer the summer doldrums that other areas suffer, but more severe. Yeah, it rains 9 months straight here, but those three summer months are glorious--I say the best weather in the States. Period. So the kids get out of school and no one stays home on the weekends. Whereas I was getting 13-18 people at FLGS events before, come the good weather in June, that has dropped to 4-8 people. I'm in communication with people still, and they still want to play, they would just rather be outside on the weekends (we play Sunday afternoons). Shocking, I know.

That's a long way of saying that we had 6 people at the constructed event and 7 people at the rainbow draft event. We were able to launch one side event draft of six people though. And it was the con's first year in existence. Lesson learned: don't lose hope, but manage expectations in the summer in the Northwest (and likely elsewhere). I (along with other people) are also recommending that the con move to May next year, or at least not on Father's Day Weekend.

It was AMAZING to have Mike Elliott there though. Very chill and interesting dude. Lives in Seattle and had minimal crowd around him so you really got to talk with him. It's clear that he loves his craft. And he signed my Worlds play mat (my avatar pic) for me.

EDIT: @pk2317 I see now that you are from Portland so I am preaching to the choir re the weather. What store do you frequent? We should do some sort of WA v. OR exchange series

I play at Guardian Games, though not very frequently unfortunately (family obligations and all with two young girls). I went to ECCC this year and played in some of the Dice Masters stuff there.

I got a flier for this then and was considering coming up but it didn't work out this year unfortunately. Glad it went well for you though!

How did the ECCC events go? How was attendance? I had tickets to go but had sick kiddos (have four myself!) and the tickets went unused

We've gone every year for the past 5 years or so, it's one of our "big things".

It wasn't the greatest, apparently one group/store was supposed to run it and dropped out so another store picked it up last minute. No real prize support, winner just got some booster packs. I think they had 5 total events, 3 rainbows and 2 constructed. I went to one of the rainbow drafts on Sat and there were I think 7 people (one or two of which hadn't really played much before). I think some events only had maybe 2-3 show up.

Next year they want to be prepared much more in advance, get it on Wizkids Event System, and hopefully get some official prize support (alt-art cards or something).