Thread: Solo Team Testing... does it work?

Solo Team Testing... does it work?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what you thought about this. I have an event coming up on Thursday and, unfortunately, won't be able to play anyone before then to test my team ideas. Would getting out my mat, my googly eyed dice tower, my cards, and my dice even be worth it to run some tests? You know, the kind where I "play" the first 5 or 6 turns to see how everything may work together even though some "jerk" isn't on the other side of the table trying to chew my face off?

Does anyone have any one person ways of prepping a team?

Any time spent rolling you dice is good for a team. Situations of resources come up, and there are so many possibilities, the more you encounter the more comfortable you will be at crunch time.

I often solo test new teams. I've played against Gobby, Tsarina, Hellblazer, and Johnny Storm so often on Google Hangouts that I just set out these dice beside my test team without the cards.

I've often scrapped overly complicated gimmick teams because I couldn't get past Johnny Storm by himself. :/
    Better to find out your "Zombie Apocalypse" team is its own disaster movie prior to bringing it to an event.

I think it does. With my limited time schedule and non existent player base, I ended up playing mostly against myself to prepare for worlds and I feel it greatly helped me improve both the understanding of my own team as well as the various teams I assumed my opponent would run. I also found that by playing by yourself you could change and manipulate the rolls to see how a team would do without factoring in bad rolls and assess more accurately how your team would handle certain teams if they got their things firing off.

You can always solo play vs. yourself in Vassal, too. That's how I did like 90% of my prep for Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    You can always solo play vs. yourself in Vassal, too. That's how I did like 90% of my prep for Worlds.
    I really need to learn how to Vassal. Not just to playtest myself, but to get to play against all you fine folks.

Did it work alleyviper?

I mean, if nothing else it certainly should give you a better sense of what turns you can reasonably expect to purchase which dice, and hopefully automate in your head what you purchase and play when you roll X, or Y, or Z.

Plus it's easy to say "I'm going to use [card] to do [awesome thing]" but in actuality it doesn't work too well. I cut Halfling Thief from my team pre-worlds almost exclusively due to testing in Vassal.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Plus it's easy to say "I'm going to use [card] to do [awesome thing]" but in actuality it doesn't work too well. I cut Halfling Thief from my team pre-worlds almost exclusively due to testing in Vassal.
    That is the main thing I want to figure out. I mean, sure, it would be cool if Colossus lets me do 2 and a half million direct damage... but is it realistic?

I'll give it a shot. And, if I'm not smart enough to use Vassal, I'll break out my DM junk and do it manually.

Testing may help you get a better idea of what to specifically expect but I can say that Colossus is a legit win-con. What makes him rough is the 7 cost and the fact that there is such a prevalence of teams that can win a game before you even buy him, let alone set up a board state where he can do his thing. If you have a game going where things have stabilized and you can get him out, though, he can break your opponent's back no problem.

Yeah, since the game is all open information it's not like your opponent can bluff which is why you'd need a partner to test in most games. The main thing to keep in mind when testing is that you have to try strategies you wouldn't normally do. You need to test against the same team a lot varying the buy order.

I downloaded Vassal and tried to use it... but I think I'm a moron. I got my carfs and dice to appear, so that's something. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. And, if you happen to know an easy Vassal DM tutorial, I would super be interested in that.

if you PM RJ or me, we're usually on between 8PM eastern and 11 eastern. I can't be on Wednesday night, but I will likely be on Thursday. We can get a call set up on hangouts (voice only) and then verbally walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Any time spent rolling you dice is good for a team. Situations of resources come up, and there are so many possibilities, the more you encounter the more comfortable you will be at crunch time.
    I agree. Even if it doesn't help you this time, if you do it a few times before you play each event, you'll eventually get a feel as to what to look for.