Thread: Batman Bruce Wayne question

Batman Bruce Wayne question

This card states "When fielded, you may purchase a basic action die for 1 (This may not reduce a die’s cost below 1)." I take that as you can purchase any Basic Action Die for 1 Energy instead of what is stated on the card. But what does the statement in the brackets mean?

It is a reminder of the overall rule that costs cannot go below 1 unless specifically stated. Otherwise, I could use the Red Dragon Global (Pay : the next Action die you buy costs 2 less), then field Batman, and the game would owe me 1 energy?

The Red Dragon card makes sense because the cost reduces by a certain amount. But Bruce Wayne gives a new price of the Basic Action Card costs 1 so there is no possibility to go below 1 so it seems strange to have it printed.

really the thing that makes this strange, is that until DC WizKids had been been forgetting to put this rule on anything that changes cost. This is simply a reminder, that should go on EVERY cost reduction or changing ability to let you know that you can't get anything for free. (half dragon being an exception)

ah gotcha. in this case though it made me doubt we got the first part correct so we haven't used that Batman card yet. but thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    The Red Dragon card makes sense because the cost reduces by a certain amount. But Bruce Wayne gives a new price of the Basic Action Card costs 1 so there is no possibility to go below 1 so it seems strange to have it printed.
    For people who like to squeeze every inch out of text possible (i.e. most CCG players ), I can see why it needs clarifying. Imagine this:

"I pay a bolt, so the next action die I purchase costs 2 less. I then field Batman, which changes the purchase cost of this die to 1. Since the cost is now 1, and the next die I purchase costs 2 less than it would otherwise, that means this basic action die now costs -1."

Another way it could happen is with Blue-Eyes global:

I field a Sidekick, then pay a bolt to sacrifice the Sidekick, using Blue-Eyes Global, making the next die I purchase cost 2 energy less.

Then I field Batman and purchase a Basic Action for 1, minus 2 from Blue-Eyes, for a cost of -1.