Thread: Shockwave Basic Action Card

Shockwave Basic Action Card

This card states "KO all level 1 characters. */** Also deal 3 damage to an opposing player" Now since it says ALSO, does that mean you need to be able to full the "KO all level 1 characters before being able to use the burst?

Also means you do both effects, it just is clarifying that the bursts don't replace the basic text (sometimes they do, but it clearly says "Instead").

I wasn't meaning the burst might replace the regular text. Im asking if there are no Level 1 characters meaning I can't do the regular portion of the card, can I still deal 3 damage to my opponent?

Yep. Burst effects are mandatory, so if you roll the burst face (and choose to use the action die), you would have to do that part. The two parts are not dependent on each other in any way.

As a more general rule:

With any ability or action, you must be able to do some of it, for it to be valid, but, if you can't do all of it, you do as much as you can.

Even if it's a disadvantage to you? Like I didn't want to use my Phantom Zone cause it would let out a stronger character of my opponents out of the Phantom Zone.

With Action Dice (both Basic Actions and your specialized Action Dice), you can always choose not to use the Action die at all (and it will go to Used at the end of your turn). However, if you choose to use the die, you have to do what it says (unless it uses the word "may"), and if there is burst text and you rolled a burst face you have to follow that text.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    Even if it's a disadvantage to you? Like I didn't want to use my Phantom Zone cause it would let out a stronger character of my opponents out of the Phantom Zone.
    You can always opt not to use an action that you rolled.

But if you do decide to use it you must do as much as you can.

Unless parts of it are optional, of course.

Also it is important to note that many triggered abilities are mandatory.

For example, if you have Johnny Storm fielded and you field a character, you must damage your opponent and a character.

You may not choose to ignore either part of his ability once it is triggered.

Also worth noting here, there does not need to be any level 1 characters in the field for you to play that die. Since it doesn't target, it can be played and resolved as having KOed nothing. Unlike other action dice (and their subsequent rulings) this one doesn't target, so you can still play it even if it resolves to no effect. Similar to the way you can play imprisoned and choose to capture nothing or PXG and move no sidekick dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Also worth noting here, there does not need to be any level 1 characters in the field for you to play that die. Since it doesn't target, it can be played and resolved as having KOed nothing. Unlike other action dice (and their subsequent rulings) this one doesn't target, so you can still play it even if it resolves to no effect. Similar to the way you can play imprisoned and choose to capture nothing or PXG and move no sidekick dice.
    But you can't use PXG if there are no Sidekicks in your used pile. There's a ruling on the forums that I can't look up now because I'm on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

As pk2317 said, it has been ruled that you cannot pay for PXG and not move any Sidekicks.

And, whilst I don't think I could point to any other specific rulings (at least I can't think of any right now), but I think other rulings point towards a general principle that actions and abilities can not be used if they produce no game effect.

Professor X Global - the global ability on two of the three Professor X variants in UXM.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    im a newb. what is pxg?
    PXG