Thread: Braniac vs Blue Beetle

Braniac vs Blue Beetle

Can someone help clarify this, I haven't been able to find a ruling on this. Here is what happened in the game tonight.

Braniac Twelfth Level Intelligence (While Brainiac is active, after blockers are declared, you may switch two opposing blockers) is active for the attacker.
    Attacker sends in two Cheetahs, two Black Mantas,and a sidekick.
    Defender blocks the two Black Mantas with Blue Beetle High School Hero (may block up to 2 villains), sidekick to block sidekick, and Zatana to block a Cheetah.

One Cheetah is unblocked.

The attacker would like to switch the Blue Beetle with the sidekick, thus having the Blue Beetle block the sidekick and the defending sidekick block a Black Manta.

What happens? Does Blue Beetle only block the sidekick now, thus freeing up one of the Mantas since the one of the Mantas would be blocked by a sidekick?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I can't say definitively...but my opinion would be that this would follow the "once blocked, always blocked" rule. Braniac's ability says "after blockers are declared"...so you've already declared BB as blocking the 2 Mantas...they both stay blocked.

I'd agree there. I'd say everyone who was blocked before Brainaic kicks in remains blocked, then once Brainaic switches things around, the new alignment only affects damage characters deal each other and pertinent abilities.

Another thing to remember is that card text can always break the rules.

So, I think, in this example, Blue Beetle would end up still actively blocking one Black Manta and the Sidekick, even though that is not normally legal.

So both the Black Manta and the Sidekick would damage Blue Beetle, and the defending player could choose how to distribute Blue Beetle's damage between the two.

Brainiac switches blockers, right? So he switches two individual instances of Blocker declaration. If we look at it the opposite way, with beetle attacking, if i blocked him with two sidekicks, and then swapped "blockers" I would move one of the people blocking beetle, not both. In this case, you can move beetle to block one thing that he is not currently blocking, and move the thing blocking that, to block one thing that beetle used to be blocking.

I do not think it is legal to swap beetle with the sidekick and have the sidekick blocking both targets, while beetle is now only blocking one.

However, I could be missing a subtlety of the brainiac card's wording, or an arbitrary ruling else where that addresses a similar case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I do not think it is legal to swap beetle with the sidekick and have the sidekick blocking both targets, while beetle is now only blocking one.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting, or even asking, that that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't. Brainiac specifically states that you may switch two blockers. Blue Beetle and the sidekick are both blockers, so when swapped, they would take over each others blocks. Blue beetle is blocking 2 characters, so the sidekick would take on both blocks and Blue Beetle would only be blocking the sidekick. There's no reason why the sidekick would not be able to be swapped with Blue Beetle, the rule of only being allowed to block 1 character was already broken by Beetle's effect, so swapping him wouldn't change that. It'd be just the same as using a polymorph on a blocking Blue Beetle. The character you put in his place is still blocking both characters, even though that's not normally possible. Engagements like this can only be broken by specific effects such as removing a character from the attack/block zone altogether.

The rule of once blocked, always blocked would be in effect here. Key word being "after blockers are declared".

Active player declares attackers. Apply effects due to characters attacking. Defender declares blocking characters.(This is when your attacker becomes "blocked") Apply effects due to blocking or being blocked. (this is when Brainiac's effect takes place). Brainiac's effect will have no effect on who's been "blocked" at this point since it resolves afterwards. It just changes who's blocking who moving forward from effects resolving after Brainiac's effect, into the Use Actions and Global Abilities and the Assign Damage phases of the Attack Step.