Thread: Card dependency

Card dependency

One of the hardest things about evaluating cards in this game is the extreme situational-ness of some of them. Some cards swing wildly from great to undesirable based on the presence of one other card or global ability being available. I don't mean crazy, complicated combos that can't work, I mean just normal stuff.

evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by TRPDave View Post
    One of the hardest things about evaluating cards in this game is the extreme situational-ness of some of them. Some cards swing wildly from great to undesirable based on the presence of one other card or global ability being available. I don't mean crazy, complicated combos that can't work, I mean just normal stuff.
    I agree. When it's that situational, I tend not to bring it.

Well, let's play devil's advocate on that. Nasty Boy isn't necessarily that great on his own, but he becomes great with a cheap villain like Mystique & Pyro or a global like Iron Man. I think Nasty Boy is a tier 1 or 1A card, but he requires some elements to work well. I think that these sorts of interactions are bread and butter for this game. I don't mean the super crazy planets-must-align combos. I mean the normal card interactions that are required. I feel like there are many times that one card can't hit a home run (short of ILCK) in this game, that it's the dependency that makes the game unique.

And I also think it's a different idea than the basic combat tricks in M:TG.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRyderBlue View Post
    I agree. When it's that situational, I tend not to bring it.
    I'm with you on this one. I really need a card to play more than just one role, unless that role is really, really good.

Dave's point about Nasty Boy is solid - most cards need something else to put their combo in motion. That's also why I believe there is probably other meta out there that we just haven't discovered yet.

That's what's made tiering the cards so interesting a process. It's hard to find cards that are like "YES, take this no matter what else is happening." Lots of cards are "TOP TIER, if you're doing this one thing. Middle if not."

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRyderBlue View Post
    I think that's one thing I love about this game is just that. One card won't win you the game.
    And the fact that you can bring a team of all commons and still compete.

To the original post, this is the exact reason why the Super-Rare Emma Frost is such a huge disappointment to me. They seemed to base her entire line of cards on her 'diamond' form and not her psychic abilities.