• Cyclops - Field Leader

1 33.33%
  • Professor X - Trainer

2 66.67%
  • Iron Man - Superhero

0 0%

Thread: Drafting: What's the pick?

Drafting: What's the pick?

Easy premise - here are 12 cards from your first set in a rainbow draft. What do you pick first? Tell us why.

These are randomized based on rarity. I'm limited to 10 options in polls, so I'm dropping two weak ones. I'll note what the weak ones are here so that if you want to make a case, you can do so in your reply.

I'll save my opinion for later in the interest of furthering discussion!

Dropped:
    Storm - Weather Witch
    Emma Frost - Archvillain

Gotta get that Cyclops: Field Leader. So many applications and it increases the value of any bolt character's stats/abilities.

Psylocke, Mystique, Magik, Namor (too high of a buy cost compared to face stats and ability value)
    She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Cyclops (since it's first pick I have yet to see anyone else place a Professor X dice down and will refrain from picks above 4 cost until I see at least a few PX dice or have PXG covered myself)
    Ant Man - Pym Particles (the only pick I would consider besides Trainer but the ramp coverage opens up too many options on my future picks)
    Professor X - Trainer (Yahtzee!)
    Iron Man - Superhero (Heroic...)

Now that we have PXG covered it's time to start looking for a Bomb then some Removal while keeping an eye out for Effective globals followed by cheap Aggressive characters before taking more cards for extra Dice on guys I've already chosen.

I follow the BREAD model once PXG is confirmed:

Bombs - Characters with 4+ attack on all three faces and/or strong abilities that lead to a win condition.
    Removal - Character abilities that remove opposing characters from the field.
    Effective globals - Global abilities that add to your teams narrative like Ant-Man if you have someone like Magik with terrible attack but lots of defense.
    Aggressive characters - Characters with low buy and fielding costs. If you still lack your own PXG when the pass direction changes, Agressive characters and extra dice for them become paramount.
    Dice - Pick up duplicates or other versions of previously chosen cards for extra dice. Especially important for cheaper characters.

Examples:

Bombs - X-23, Black Panther, Juggernaut, She-Hulk, Magneto
    Removal - Toad, Psylocke, Quicksilver, Mister Sinister (Global)
    Effective globals - Iceman, Ant-Man, Mister Sinister, Kitty Pryde
    Aggressive characters - 2 cost Ant-Man, 2 cost Falcon, 2 cost Kitty Pryde
    Dice - Anything you plan to field with a purchase cost of 4 or less

I feel like BREAD isn't 100% reliable in this game the way that card dependencies work, but I still think that the idea is sound. We're talking about some other card eval techniques in the show this week.

I find it interesting that you replace "evasion" with "effective globals" and "dudes/dregs" with "dice." I think that fits this game a lot better. Perhaps you've found the way to apply BREAD correctly to DM.

Agreed that it doesn't apply 100% but I think the latest revision is pretty close at least. With some input I bet we can make it pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_Mitchell View Post
    Gotta get that Cyclops: Field Leader. So many applications and it increases the value of any bolt character's stats/abilities.
    ^ YES.

Quote Originally Posted by TRPDave View Post
    Chris will love you for that pick.
    ^ Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
    Agreed that it doesn't apply 100% but I think the latest revision is pretty close at least. With some input I bet we can make it pretty close.
    ^ This attitude right here and your explanation above - love it, Walsh!

I guess the other side to this is - would this be a fun regular topic in the strategy forum?

Yeah, I liked it a lot. Great catalyst for thought.