Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: My Unofficial Guide to Dice Master Lingo

Great article for beginners and people learning the game. Keep up the good work Lauren!

This is a great article, thank you! I'm relatively new to the game and I never played Magic, so a lot of the basic concepts took a while for me to get the hang of. When I started playing, I dug through a lot of basics articles to figure out these core concepts. Most articles & discussion assume the reader understands at least the basics of CCGs which can be really intimidating to new players.

Should add "Deck" (I hate the term because we don't even use a deck.) in place of Team to represent the exact 10 cards brought to the table.

Archtype to describe the over arching types of decks. Aggro, Control and Burn all are archtypes. But we could see aggro-control or combo-control in the future.

Love the article, keep it up. You are the best Reserve Pool personality here.

Great article! I've been trying to add some of this to the wiki (under Lexicon, see Slang). When I'm off my phone I'll be sure to add this. Super helpful for new players!

Quote Originally Posted by Loran View Post
    I disagree completely. Please don't use the term "Deck" anywhere in this fine article unless you are pointing out that someone who incorrectly uses the term "Deck" should be using the correct term which is "Team".
    I totally agree and might suggest shock collars to get people to stop doing this A deck is a stack of cards you pull from. There are no decks in Dice Masters. Casual use of the terms "net decking" (copying someone else's team online) or "top decking" (drawing the exact die you need at the exact moment, though less of big deal right now with PXG) are fine because those phrases have acquired their own meanings over time. But hearing "deck" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. (I will admit that I occasionally do it myself still, but I am trying very hard to break the habit.)

PS. Great Article Wifey!
    Last edited by Indy Mon; 06-17-2015 at 12:00 PM.

A deck of cards is indeed a stack of cards. The term originated in the 1600s from the similarity to decks of a ship. However, language is always changing, and there is nothing wrong with establishing a new meaning for deck.

Perhaps: A collection of objects used to play a card based game. This can include cards, chips, dice, tokens and any other game play device or aid.

After all, do you say "lets play poker, get out the chips and cards?"
    Or
    "Let's play poker, get out the deck?"
    And even if you said one, wouldn't you atleast understand the meaning of the other?

Great job @Wifey . I will be using this article for all of my new to the game friends!

I've been a proponent of team, though I occasionally use deck. Call it a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    language is always changing, and there is nothing wrong with establishing a new meaning for deck.
    Whilst that is true, I don't think it is good reason to default to overloading an already established term.

There are many differences between Dice Masters and other games, so it makes sense to highlight those differences by using game-specific terminology.

A good example of this kind of thing comes from miniature gaming - all miniatures gaming require you to bring a collection of miniatures to the table, but what each game calls them varies from game to game:

Warhammer/40K: Army.
    Malifaux: Crew.
    Dreadball: Team.
    X-Wing: Squad.

And so on.

@Wifey , I'd love an article on how to get my wife interested in Dice Masters. Every time I suggest it, she just gives me the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    @Wifey , I'd love an article on how to get my wife interested in Dice Masters. Every time I suggest it, she just gives me the look.
    @Razorback at first my wife wasn't into the game at all (even though she loves board games)
    So it was just me and my 16 year old son playing every other day. While I was on a business trip my son wanted to play and had my wife play a flying sidekicks team.
    The fact that she kicked his butt at the game got her in. Now she my son and my 13 yr old daughter all play. I would say give her a fun team to play, she might get hooked!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Oetker View Post
    I always get confused by the term mid-range? How is that different from control?
    Mid-Range play styles add control elements to high burst damage combos or otherwise fast win conditions. They allow for an extremely fluid approach that controls your opponent while applying pressure. Control decks tend to do damage slowly over the game with much more stall and effects to stop your opponent in their tracks.

Wife her. Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
    Mid-Range play styles add control elements to high burst damage combos or otherwise fast win conditions. They allow for an extremely fluid approach that controls your opponent while applying pressure. Control decks tend to do damage slowly over the game with much more stall and effects to stop your opponent in their tracks.
    Mid-range teams tend to be faster than control, but slower than aggro. Another stylistic difference is the use of on board answers vs pre-board solutions.

So control teams would gravitate toward Loki, Joker, Constantine to answer issues before they hit the board. While mid-range would use Hulk, Kwannon and Grundy to deal with issues even if they already got to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I've been a proponent of team, though I occasionally use deck. Call it a bad habit.
    I never said deck until I heard you say it on the podcast. I BLAME DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Oetker View Post
    I always get confused by the term mid-range? How is that different from control?
    it's magic the gathering article, but it's still a good read...
    http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...ite_continue=1

mid-range beatdown is my favorite!!!
    Quote from article: “Against combo and control, you attack. Against aggro, you block.” It's classic Who's The Beatdown.

I'd like to see somebody "copy" this article, substituting DM cards where appropriate...
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 06-18-2015 at 10:43 AM.