Thread: Dice mats

Dice mats

I have been wanting to buy a mat for a while, but have not had the cash (Or spent the cash on more dice, because... Dice) but I just looked them over for the first time and I really don't care for the set up on them.

When I play now, I keep my character cards on one side and my action cards on the other. Everyone I have played has done the same. Having them split like that seems like it would be, irritating.

Now I'm thinking I should just raise my "Craft Gaming Item" skill and make one from a blank mat for myself. Before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys about it. It seems like at least most of you guys use them. What do you think? Also, If someone came up with a mat that differed in placement from yours, would it be offensive?

you can buy a colored foam sheet at Wal-Mart for 33. it's a little wider than a sheet of paper...grab a Sharpie and ruler...

Quote Originally Posted by Critenstein View Post
    I have been wanting to buy a mat for a while, but have not had the cash (Or spent the cash on more dice, because... Dice) but I just looked them over for the first time and I really don't care for the set up on them.

When I play now, I keep my character cards on one side and my action cards on the other. Everyone I have played has done the same. Having them split like that seems like it would be, irritating.

Now I'm thinking I should just raise my "Craft Gaming Item" skill and make one from a blank mat for myself. Before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys about it. It seems like at least most of you guys use them. What do you think? Also, If someone came up with a mat that differed in placement from yours, would it be offensive?
    I use a mouse pad sized play mat so I can arrange my cards however I want. It also helps when gaming in tight quarters.

I think that as long as the zones are placed in a logical sense they should be fine. In other words don't put the Attack Zone in the bottom right corner of the play mat and the Field Zone in the top left. Your opponent should be able to look at your play mat and easily determine the board state.

This is my most recent play mat.

Also bonus: you can get a mousepad sized mat for $1 shipped. Or 2/$4 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Critenstein View Post
    Also, If someone came up with a mat that differed in placement from yours, would it be offensive?
    I think it wouldn't be offensive at all just so long as your areas are clear on the playmat and I can see your team, no matter how the cards are split up. I like to be able to easily tell what my opponent is doing and keep track of their dice. @Dave has a Booster Gold playmat (seen in video here) and he makes it clear that the star of the logo is the Reserve Pool (the triangle part closest to him is the transition zone/out of play area) and so on. I believe he's used it for tournaments without trouble as well.

I say get crafty! I've played with people who just have a rough sketch of something on some blank paper to test it out before they customize it to a mouse pad playmat.