Thread: Gelatinous Cube capture count?

Gelatinous Cube capture count?

Somewhat unclear on something with Gelatinous Cube's capture ability. Can EACH fielded Cube have it's own captured die, or can all fielded Cube's only have 1 captured die total?

Whenever a character is knocked out during the attack step, you may pay [1 Shield] to have Gelatinous Cube capture it. This capture lasts until it is used again.

1 die. Each character is knocked out Simultaneously, but can only be responded to in an order. As such you can only grab one character at a time, and thus the second character you grab will free the firs character.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    1 die. Each character is knocked out Simultaneously, but can only be responded to in an order. As such you can only grab one character at a time, and thus the second character you grab will free the firs character.
    So the number of cubes out doesn't matter in this case? Capture in the rulebook made it sound like it's the die that does the capturing, so I thought maybe this would be an ability each Cube die would have and each die would hold onto it's captured die until each die uses the ability again.

Thematically, I would assume each Gelatinous Cube can capture an opposing character die.

I believe each fielded Gelatinous Cube die can capture one KO'd die, and that you must pay 1 Shield for each die captured.

One could always read the DnD rule book, where it states:
    "Gelatinous Cube, Apprentice Ooze says, “Whenever a character is knocked out during the attack step, you may pay to have Gelatinous Cube capture it.” When you pay the shield, you choose only one Gelatinous Cube die you have fielded and have it capture a die. However, you can repeat this for each Gelatinous Cube die you have fielded."

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    One could always read the DnD rule book, where it states:
    "Gelatinous Cube, Apprentice Ooze says, “Whenever a character is knocked out during the attack step, you may pay to have Gelatinous Cube capture it.” When you pay the shield, you choose only one Gelatinous Cube die you have fielded and have it capture a die. However, you can repeat this for each Gelatinous Cube die you have fielded."
    And one can always ask questions even when the rule book isn't terribly clear (which is incredibly often with this game). No need to condescend. It still wasn't totally clear as to whether doing the capture again with another ooze freed the previous capture or not.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    And rulebooks are not infallible. See: transition zone, DC nonsense, etc.

I offer an indisputable and documented answer to a rules question, and I get sass instead of a thank you. Good Morning internet.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    I offer an indisputable and documented answer to a rules question, and I get sass instead of a thank you. Good Morning internet.
    I apologize for my short reply to your answer. It appeared to have been offered with relative condescension where (at least for some) the text created space for the question, "What happens to the first captured character if I repeat the effect for a second Cube?" The reality is that maybe one needs to move an energy to increase PXG efficiency. The rule book stated one could do so, but does not explicitly state what happens to the first captured die. For my part, it's a relevant question.