Thread: Article: Reading the Rainbow Yu Gi Oh Draft Episode 6 The Clock

I think this analysis is bang on the money. Obelisk is too expensive to pass over and he can do something if you get him out. The only thing I really disagree with is your appraisal of Dark Magician Girl - Arcane Companion. She's an incredibly strong beatstick with a high chance to proc and a fielding cost that anyone except Thousand Dragon can only dream about. If you compare her to any of the other 5-cost beatsticks, she wins by a landslide. She's not going to win the game by herself, but the level of efficiency she offers is too great to ignore if you're looking for a big character to fight with. (seriously, a 5/5, 6/6, 7/7 for TFC-1? Sign me up!)

I have read your off the meta about her, and I knew you would say that, but I kind of disagree with your appraisal. The thing is, she encourages you to need to buy something every turn. In Drafts that don't cycle very fast, this can be a problem.

I consider her ability a 50/50, making her a 4/5 5/6 6/7, and while that is good, she is just another beat stick something you can get plenty of in YGO. Take the common flame swordsman for example. His abilit y is 100% reliable making him a 5/3 6/4 8/6, something just as good as DMG, and even a little beefier in the attack end.

I think you're missing out on two key points here:
    You don't need to purchase a character each turn, precisely for the reason you stated, drafts in Yu-Gi-Oh cycle slowly. As such, whenever a character comes up energy and heads to used, you're getting that full +2 benefit for a goodly while to come. This is even more relevant than n other sets because you're pressured into using character energy to ramp due to the overall lack of ramp abilities. I'd definitely put DMG's chance to proc at 75% or higher.
    Additionally, fielding cost is a big thing to consider when you want a character for stats. Flame Swordsman, Buster Blader, and Black Luster Soldier are all 5-cost beatsticks as well, but each of them has a TFC-6. It's going to cost a lot to keep playing them and if you ever get multiples knocked out, you've got a scary chance to wind up without enough energy to re-field everyone. DMG's ridiculously low TFC on a body that rivals any other 5-drop in-set is too much to pass over and unless I specifically wanted Buster Blader for walling purposes or Black Luster Soldier for pumping, I would always look for DMG as my first choice for big body on the field.

All fair points. I will say, I tend to worry about "stat" sticks last when it comes to what to draft, but I can definitely agree that DMG is a higher pick than her competition.

Love the articles Shadowmeld. I look forward to them every time they come around. They have really changed how I look at drafts.

I actually played with DMG last night in our draft and have to agree with Necromanticer. She won two of my three games. In my first game my uncommon Obelisk the Tormentor was Spellbinding Circled down with no way of removing him from the field (polymorph kept being rolling energy and my opponent didn't have anything large enough to KO Obelisk). DMG carried the game after that. It really isn't very difficult to either purchase a relatively low cost die or just roll energy on characters to trigger the +2A.

Yes, it is not 100% reliable and I can think of at least one instance in which I was unable to trigger the buff but it was incredibly easy to keep a character in my used pile for the trigger in all three games played. I would definitely grab her again early if we do a YGO draft.

@Darkwvlf
    Well, this confirms two things...

1 - DMG can do major work and is an amazing beatstick most of the time.

2 - People in drafts are actually willing to bring and buy basic actions we've all probably forgotten exist in the first place.
    Last edited by Necromanticer; 06-19-2015 at 07:50 PM.