Thread: UxM Drafting (P,2,3,4 & BREAD)

UxM Drafting (P,2,3,4,5 & BREAD)

Basic pick order formula, just go down the list on each pass

PXG unconfirmed:

Professor X - Recruiting Young Mutants or PX - Trainer: If you get one move down to the PXG confirmed section :3
    (2)2 Cost characters or more cards to add dice to prior 2 costs
    (2)3 Cost characters giving priority to cards with good abilities and/or globals or more cards to add dice to prior 3 costs
    (2)4 Cost characters giving priority to cards with good abilities and/or globals or more cards to add dice to prior 4 costs
    (2)5 Cost characters with good abilities and/or globals

(1)PXG confirmed:

(1)Bomb: Characters with 4+ attack on all three faces and/or strong abilities that lead to a win condition
    (2)Removal: Character abilities that remove opposing characters from the field
    (2)Energy: Diversify energy cost types of 2>3 cost characters to accommodate different dice RNG scenarios
    (2)Ability: Characters with helpful globals and/or abilities synergistic to prior choices
    (X)Dice: Pick up duplicates or other versions of previously chosen cards for extra dice

Examples (not in order):

Bomb: X-23, Black Panther, She-Hulk
    Removal: Psylocke - Kwannon the Assassin, Quicksilver - Thanks to Isotope E, Toad - Tongue Lashing
    Energy: 2-3 cost Falcon, 2-3 cost Ant-Man, 2-3 cost Kitty Pryde, 3 cost Cerebro, 3 cost Quicksilver, 3 cost Angel
    Ability: Iceman, Ant-Man, Mister Sinister, Kitty Pryde, Namor
    Last edited by Walsh; 02-18-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Looks good - I like it! Very solid. I need to print this and make a pocket sized copy.

I need to print this and make a pocket sized copy.
    I was thinking the same lol
    Last edited by Walsh; 02-18-2015 at 05:38 AM.

The E in MTG is for evasion and I feel like that's still valid here. Characters that can't be blocked for some reason or have reasons to not block them. Things that protect you from that lethal blow. I'm not sure, as the Energy is also important...

And then there's the problem of Churn/Ramp, which are also valid. But if we really overcomplicate things then we're buying a loaf of BRCRAEADSWERRD and I don't know what that is.

I also feel like the bombs require a bit more legwork than something as straightforward as, again given card dependency. We need ways to get damage through, which is why I like things like She Hulk. I lean more to the win condition side of the see-saw than I do stats.

The E in MTG is for evasion and I feel like that's still valid here. Characters that can't be blocked for some reason or have reasons to not block them. Things that protect you from that lethal blow. I'm not sure, as the Energy is also important...
    In my opinion evasion takes a back seat due to Basic Actions Relentless and Distraction. Unblockable characters become Distract target #1 and Relentless is a built in evasive effect.

And then there's the problem of Churn/Ramp, which are also valid. But if we really overcomplicate things then we're buying a loaf of BRCRAEADSWERRD and I don't know what that is.
    For UxM, all you need is PXG in terms of ramp as anything else quickly becomes overkill. If you don't get PXG it is likely your opponent will have it and you can still abuse having used P123; and if neither of you have it you are ahead by default as you do not have to make a purchase to ensure your following purchases are viable, you simply buy the cheap guy up front with no need to ramp to it.

I also feel like the bombs require a bit more legwork than something as straightforward as, again given card dependency. We need ways to get damage through, which is why I like things like She Hulk. I lean more to the win condition side of the see-saw than I do stats.
    Bomb picks will indeed require more thought but I think the general guide line fits and I've only lost one draft ever using the above strategy so there could be a facet I am not explaining well enough. Worth noting that I had not thought of this prior to the 'which card would you choose' post, I am just trying to quantify my draft experience. I will mull it over more.

You mention distraction, so I assume you play drafts with all BACs available? I've only been involved in ones that allow them from the set you're in - so only UXM in a UXM draft.

Quote Originally Posted by TRPDave View Post
    You mention distraction, so I assume you play drafts with all BACs available? I've only been involved in ones that allow them from the set you're in - so only UXM in a UXM draft.
    Ah yup, all BACs are available (even OP) no matter what but if that is not standard I could certainly review with that in mind.

I think where we see a difference of opinion here is over the churn, mostly, but that's because you're looking from a UXM perspective and I'm thinking DM drafts in general. I think you have the right call for UXM for certain and while I wasn't thinking BREAD at the time, this is essentially what my team was made of in my last draft.

I think churn takes more thought outside of UXM.

Agreed completely.