Thread: great overcrush combo

great overcrush combo

this is a great overcrush combo Name:  coneofcold.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  51.2 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purpleworm.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	1187 with d and d only. tell me in the comments what you think would be good to help this combo, any cards.

Kobold swarm could help ramp up to purchase Purple Worm. Their fist energy could also fuel the Cone of Cold global.

Any of the Purple Worms with Cone of Cold works great for the overcrush combo. However, if all you need is the overcrush, go for the 6-cost to buy your threat faster.

I'd actually care to disagree. That uncommon Purple Worm is by far the strongest since he guarantees you removal and damage for the price of a single extra. Not only can this keep a high defense character from interfering, but it's also good for taking out Hulks since it isn't damage.

I also disagree. The uncommon gives out big damage just attacking along with its effect, spot remove and is also a beefy character. It was one of the reasons I bought that card specifically for the effects.

I completely agree about the ability of the uncommon version. It is great. I find though, in the scene that I play in, buying a 7-cost takes a bit too long. Given the longer nature of D&D games, I like to get a hefty 6-cost out just a bit quicker to put the pressure on. Again, that only applies to the scene I play in.

Two cards as well as kobold i could use for ramp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pxg.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	1194 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redtornado.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1195

This past week at a D&D draft event someone tried to use this combo and it did not work all that well for him. The issue with it was that often the defender he was up against only had one to three life. In those instances it made more sense to just let the purple worm through so that it could not be pumped up and goes to the used pile instead of back to the field.

For this combo to work it needs a card or global that can force blocking to happen.

@Seanxor
    I don't think that's quite the case. If you opponent can afford to eat a minimum of 6 damage and not be in threat of dying, you're already in too bad of a position to recover with a single character. Overcrush isn't meant to be a single killing blow, it's meant to make your big threat (in this case Purple Worm) such a threat that your opponent can't soak your whole board swinging by merely chump blocking your big dude. If your opponent has field advantage, then overcrush is only moderately helpful. It really shines when it's the topper to your deadly cake of characters. In that position, overcrush like Purple Worm is indispensable and is sure to edge out a game (the hard part is ramping up to it).

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    @Seanxor
    I don't think that's quite the case. If you opponent can afford to eat a minimum of 6 damage and not be in threat of dying, you're already in too bad of a position to recover with a single character. Overcrush isn't meant to be a single killing blow, it's meant to make your big threat (in this case Purple Worm) such a threat that your opponent can't soak your whole board swinging by merely chump blocking your big dude. If your opponent has field advantage, then overcrush is only moderately helpful. It really shines when it's the topper to your deadly cake of characters. In that position, overcrush like Purple Worm is indispensable and is sure to edge out a game (the hard part is ramping up to it).
    I agree. If your opponent has board advantage, it's difficult to use Purple Worm as your sole win con. However, you don't need an entire board wipe; in most cases, a board weakener will help significantly, like a Breath Weapon 2 or 3.