Thread: Bolt Deck Finalized

Bolt Deck Finalized

I've been tweaking this team for awhile now, and I think I'm ready to take it to my first local event. I should note that I don't own any SRs, and my local shop has banned PXG.

Here's what I've got:

The idea is to get out Firestorm - Jason and Ronnie, then pair it with Human Torch - Johnny Storm so all the bolt characters will hit for 3 damage when fielded. Cheetah is a cheap, fast character than can field for damage, then swing for damage. Red Tornado lets me get to the meat of the team and bypass Sidekicks when possible, Green Arrow gives me some solid removal, and Cyclops bumps the entire team's damage drastically. Iceman is there just for his global, which lets me field Sidekicks (which trigger Human Torch), then use them on a later turn as a source of extra energy.

What problems can you foresee? Any specific archetypes I should worry about, or specific characters who might cause me problems?

Thanks!

Check out my bolt teams

Black mantas retaliation is good just in case my villains get blown up. If not, I can just detonate Green Goblin myself using Blue Eyes, activate Black manta's Effect and buy another Gobby. Pyro is an end game type of character. If I attack and he's KO'ed he should do enough damage at the end along with activating Black manta's Effect.

With Punisher I should be doing enough damage to my opponent and to risk them from losing 2 more life, but if not I can just use the Iceman Global and pump him up to take out that character. He's already targeting a character so I should be fine on spot removal.

My other team (similar to yours but not as aggro is)

Same concept with Black manta but now with Firestorm considering I have Gobby. Detonate gobby, activate Black Manta re-field him again with side kicks and Firestorm. I can attack with Cheetah and then distract to ping for 1. If not, I can pull out Red Dragon for an end game or if the person is running a swarm deck. Polymorph to either get Red Dragon in as a quick as I can or if not, firestorm to get things rolling. Punisher of course for Spot Removal. I just need to worry about him being KO'ed from the lack of pumping him up, but I should be doing enough damage for the opponent to risk more life.

Always worry about Hulk. Green Arrow is alright for spot damage. Not the best but he's decent. You need something for spot removal. Even having Psylocke is more than enough.

Why not switch out Villanous Pact for distraction? You can attack with Cheetah and then distract her back. Gobby would benefit you if you plan on using Iceman. Fielding side kicks for blockers, and with Gobby being a bolt character you can benefit from him. The Human Torch and Gobby combo with Firestorm. Lots of damage.

Also instead of Pick your Battles, why not enrage or Invulnerability. The iceman global will benefit you more from there. Invulnerability is a 2 cost and the effect if you characters are knocked out, they can return.

My bad, I didnt read that they banned PXG and you dont own Super Rare's. Why ban PXG? That is just dumb. Those games must take 25 minutes to finish.

Well, I revamped your deck considering they cut your ramping. The best I could think up was this.

Hope it gave you some ideas.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-21-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Please watch it with casual terms for things that are "dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by StormyWaters View Post
    I've been tweaking this team for awhile now, and I think I'm ready to take it to my first local event. I should note that I don't own any SRs, and my local shop has banned PXG.

Here's what I've got:

The idea is to get out Firestorm - Jason and Ronnie, then pair it with Human Torch - Johnny Storm so all the bolt characters will hit for 3 damage when fielded. Cheetah is a cheap, fast character than can field for damage, then swing for damage. Red Tornado lets me get to the meat of the team and bypass Sidekicks when possible, Green Arrow gives me some solid removal, and Cyclops bumps the entire team's damage drastically. Iceman is there just for his global, which lets me field Sidekicks (which trigger Human Torch), then use them on a later turn as a source of extra energy.

What problems can you foresee? Any specific archetypes I should worry about, or specific characters who might cause me problems?

Thanks!
    I actually really like this team. It is miles ahead of my first constructed team. Red Tornado is a MUST in this situation for churn, and Torch/Firestorm together on an all-bolts team is nasty. If you cycle Cheetahs in, that's a 4 point swing between fielding and attacking. You MAY want to leave an out in case you only roll 3 energy and not one of them is a bolt. Maybe a slightly cheaper BAC? Also, I'm not a huge fan of that Ghost Rider because of his high fielding costs. So, I might replace him with McRook who can do some KO'ing if needed, or a different bolt character that can instantly take care of a problem card... or even something like a 2 Mask Beast for an additional way to spend your energy if you need it.

Otherwise, in my opinion, this is solid. You can't plan for everything, but this should be fast enough to "zap some bozos", as the kids say. Good luck at the event!

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Why ban PXG? That is just dumb. Those games must take 25 minutes to finish.
    Some people actually enjoy playing the game. When your matches are over in 5-10 minutes, you don't really get a chance to play your team and explore the various ways of using it. PXG warps the game by allowing you to roll roughly all of your dice every turn, buy huge characters much faster, and fuel other globals to a ridiculous degree. Many people, myself included, want PXG to go away and move towards less oppressive forms of ramp that actually have tradeoffs instead of just being outright amazing. Take for instance BEWD; it doesn't keep you from drawing into your sidekicks and only offers a 2:3 energy ratio while costing you a boddy off the field. PXG on the other hand gives you a 1:2 energy ratio and allows you to completely remove sidekicks from your draws with incredible consistency and doesn't require any sort of sacrifice.

Plain and simple, PXG is overpowered and its effect on the game has been horrible for extended play, although its usefulness in highly competitive play cannot be denied.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-21-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: changed quote

There's also the 2 cost of Human Torch. Fielding cost being 0,1,2

I do like the Gobby and Cheetah picks with blue eyes with Black Manta's retaliation in effect. Why not hurt the opponent when you lose a character. If you dont enjoy Punisher, you can add the blue beetle common. Two damage every time you field a villain. Gobby and Cheetah and Black manta. Lots of damage. Blue Beetle being a bolt too.

My bad, I didnt read that they banned PXG and you dont own Super Rare's. Why ban PXG? That is just dumb. Those games must take 25 minutes to finish.

Well, I revamped your deck considering they cut your ramping. The best I could think up was this.

~ snip ~

Hope it gave you some ideas.
    Thanks for the advice! I sure wish I had a Gobby to run, but alas I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'd like to get BEWD if I can come across one, but for now I don't have it. As to Distraction, I don't want to spend 1 every turn to get a point of damage through with Cheetah. I'd rather attack and either have it get through and deal full damage (and get cycled back through the bag) or get KO'd so I can refield it next turn and get the 3+ damage from fielding it. My experience has been that throwing Cheetah at the wall works much better than pinging for that single point each turn (especially when it ties up energy every turn to do so).

You MAY want to leave an out in case you only roll 3 energy and not one of them is a bolt. Maybe a slightly cheaper BAC? Also, I'm not a huge fan of that Ghost Rider because of his high fielding costs. So, I might replace him with McRook who can do some KO'ing if needed, or a different bolt character that can instantly take care of a problem card... or even something like a 2 Mask Beast for an additional way to spend your energy if you need it.
    I have been wanting to change a BAC for a three-cost, so I will definitely dig through what I have and see what works. I am also not a fan of Ghost Rider, but I wanted a two-cost bolt character and there aren't really any other choices. Every time I run a non-bolt, I hate drawing it because it wastes my time not hitting for that 3+ damage when I field it. I could swap for the common or uncommon Pepper Potts - they aren't great but they are 2-drops who field free, and they're bolts. McRook is worth looking into, but he's another 4-drop which doesn't much help with opening my low-cost slots.

Some people actually enjoy playing the game. When your matches are over in 5-10 minutes, you don't really get a chance to play your team and explore the various ways of using it. PXG warps the game by allowing you to roll roughly all of your dice every turn, buy huge characters much faster, and fuel other globals to a ridiculous degree. Many people, myself included, want PXG to go away and move towards less oppressive forms of ramp that actually have tradeoffs instead of just being outright amazing. Take for instance BEWD; it doesn't keep you from drawing into your sidekicks and only offers a 2:3 energy ratio while costing you a boddy off the field. PXG on the other hand gives you a 1:2 energy ratio and allows you to completely remove sidekicks from your draws with incredible consistency and doesn't require any sort of sacrifice.

Plain and simple, PXG is overpowered and its effect on the game has been horrible for extended play, although its usefulness in highly competitive play cannot be denied.
    Spot-on. I don't mind games taking 20-30 minutes, and I like having to make tougher choices when it comes to ramp. PXG is just an automatic ramp with little thought necessary.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-21-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: changed quote

There's also the 2 cost of Human Torch. Fielding cost being 0,1,2

I do like the Gobby and Cheetah picks with blue eyes with Black Manta's retaliation in effect. Why not hurt the opponent when you lose a character. If you dont enjoy Punisher, you can add the blue beetle common. Two damage every time you field a villain. Gobby and Cheetah and Black manta. Lots of damage. Blue Beetle being a bolt too.
    I dislike this Human Torch. I've had my Firestorm shut down and still carried out a win by pushing through bits of damage with him paired with Cyclops.

Also Gobby is out of the question, as I said above. Black Manta isn't a bolt, and very little of the deck is Villain, so these two ideas take different directions. I'd rather focus on one or the other, rather than trying to do both poorly.

Well I see the villains and with Black Manta Retaliation with Cheetah and Gobby running through, its just for an extra added Effect. I still consider mine a bolt team but it has a nice Effect instead of just having my characters run into walls. If they are destroyed I can get some damage out of it and I can still re-field them and activate another effect. Gimmicks.

Also adding that you dont need to use distraction every time. It's just a safe way when you need a body for blockers on a next turn.

Here's what I've got:

Your team is pretty much what I came up with a month back. I thought about using the Firestorm/Human Trorch/Cyclops combo, but removed it because for I want to keep the game fun. Fielding a character to do 5 damage from it isn't satisfying game wise for me and is something I'll save for Worlds where its more cutthroat.

One thing I would get rid of is Pick Your Battles because your opponent can easily use it against you to screw you over. He attacks with everything but and you're done for. You already have Villainous Pact, which is similar.

Id like to see you use Hulk - Green Goliath in this deck. Ping Human Torch and activate Hulks effect to sweep the board. Then attack with your characters. But that's just me.

I haaaaate Ghost Rider, personally. I always seem to roll him on level 2 or 3 at the worst times, and struggle to field him. The extra bolts do help though.

Id like to see you use Hulk - Green Goliath in this deck. Ping Human Torch and activate Hulks effect to sweep the board. Then attack with your characters. But that's just me.
    Definitely Firestorm is much better over Cyclops. Punisher over manticore for Spot Removal. Your decks fine. Personally this would be my pick.

(Kobold to help you churn a little more and helping build your forces)
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 06-22-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Definitely Firestorm is much better over Cyclops. Punisher over manticore for Spot Removal. Your decks fine. Personally this would be my pick.

(Kobold to help you churn a little more and helping build your forces)
    Drop Resurrection and put in something else that has a fist, mask, or shield global. Removing this card takes away potential ramp for your opponent and still gives you a use for energy when you don't roll Bolts.

Thanks for the advice! I sure wish I had a Gobby to run, but alas I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'd like to get BEWD if I can come across one, but for now I don't have it. As to Distraction, I don't want to spend 1 every turn to get a point of damage through with Cheetah. I'd rather attack and either have it get through and deal full damage (and get cycled back through the bag) or get KO'd so I can refield it next turn and get the 3+ damage from fielding it. My experience has been that throwing Cheetah at the wall works much better than pinging for that single point each turn (especially when it ties up energy every turn to do so).

I have been wanting to change a BAC for a three-cost, so I will definitely dig through what I have and see what works. I am also not a fan of Ghost Rider, but I wanted a two-cost bolt character and there aren't really any other choices. Every time I run a non-bolt, I hate drawing it because it wastes my time not hitting for that 3+ damage when I field it. I could swap for the common or uncommon Pepper Potts - they aren't great but they are 2-drops who field free, and they're bolts. McRook is worth looking into, but he's another 4-drop which doesn't much help with opening my low-cost slots.

Spot-on. I don't mind games taking 20-30 minutes, and I like having to make tougher choices when it comes to ramp. PXG is just an automatic ramp with little thought necessary.
    You build is awesome, and I personally love that you aren't running PXG. I get really excited when I see a team that isn't Dependant on him. I really like the use of the Iceman global. You roll a bunch of sidekicks and one bolt, field the sidekicks to active human torch, and then iceman them to buy some stuff.
    The only thing I would consider changing would be swapping Green Arrow out for McRook. He has the exact same die and fielding cost as Green Arrow, but also has slightly better attack stats. On top of that his ability garuntees that either your opponent takes damage or loses a character. The other plus side is that if you need to take out the Hulk you can use him to do so without actually triggering his effect.

Regardless great team! This looks awesome and I kind of want to mess around with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

If you play with Distraction and don't play with the Distraction-disablers (largely non-hero cards, e.g. Ring, Doomcal, Paladin, Jinzo), you can play with PXG and still have long games.

The meta in my apartment is precisely that, in fact. Someone's always playing Distraction and/or PXG, so we're buying big things but playing long, interesting games.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    One thing I would get rid of is Pick Your Battles because your opponent can easily use it against you to screw you over. He attacks with everything but and you're done for. You already have Villainous Pact, which is similar.
    Also, back to the thread, this quote is very important.

Pick Your Battles is something someone would use to beat you, not the other way around.