Thread: Cube Draft?

Cube Draft?

I am thinking of creating a cube for drafting using my extra Commons and Uncommons. Was thinking of 24 cards and matching dice per player to mimic the rainbow draft format. However I am concerned about having adequate numbers of dice for each character. Thinking I need to limit the number of characters and not simply throw together 24 cards per player.

Has anyone done this? Tips?

My recommendation is for you to put 200 cards in your cube, and 400 dice. 100 of those cards should be commons, 100 uncommon and each needs to be the same list of cards for dice matches.

This lets you play up to 8 players, 24 cards each and still get some variety.

I was literally thinking if this today and was doing research online about it. Dice Masters is amazingly well suited for cube. I think the answer to your question is just to try it out and see how it goes. It might work. It might not. But you won't know for sure till you try. Good luck and keep us posted!

I have been thinking about how much of a Constructable game this is, and I was working on similar. (Great Minds) I was thinking 16 cards, Max dice on each, 4 of each symbol with varying costs up the scale, etc. Perhaps a couple items as well (Swords, Helms, etc.) and Randomly dealing out action cards from my spares before each game. Then each player can draft from the same pool.

I'm not sure what Cube is, but anything that includes 400 dice cannot suck. I want to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    My recommendation is for you to put 200 cards in your cube, and 400 dice. 100 of those cards should be commons, 100 uncommon and each needs to be the same list of cards for dice matches.

This lets you play up to 8 players, 24 cards each and still get some variety.
    I'm confused? 200 cards and 400 dice?

Well, 200 cards, each card represents 2 dice. Otherwise you can only choose 100 cards and have 4 copies.

oh, so you get 2 dice for each card you draft?

Yeah that's the way I'd run it. That way you could have more variety of dice without creating the "one of" problem that larger draft structures create.

Its crazy how many of us have the same idea at the same time! I am pitching the cube idea to my local group as a way to draft and keep costs down.

I was thinking for each set you would draft you would need:

- a starter set
    - 3 commons per character
    - 2 uncommons per character
    - 1 rare per character
    - NO super rares (as they either suck or are game breaking)
    - one associated die per character card
    - appropriate storage and upkeep supplies (a box for the dice, box for the cards, and sleeves for the cards)

I proposed that we would chip in for the starter and the boxes/sleeves, and see what people can donate for the rest of it. I'm also working a spread sheet right now to determine cost and how many could play under this scheme. I can share when i have more figured out. :-)

quick update: after posing the idea to my regular group I have received a huge commons/uncommons donation to get it started...now i just need to see how we match up to what we would need and go from there :-)

Assembled a cube with my son last week. Features:

1. 144 cards (all commons and uncommons) -- allows simulated Rainbow draft for up to 6 (24 cards/dice per player);
    2. DC and Marvel only (because we do not have sufficient extras of the other sets;
    3. Average of 4 dice for each (in order to avoid dilution because of multiple sets) -- but distribution of 1-7 die for each character;
    4. 36 characters.

We have draft twice and played a few games. For less than 6 players, we deal out 2 packs of 12 cards to each player and then pull those dice into the draft pool. Then run like a Rainbow draft. I keep it in a separate box so we can pull it out anytime and run a quick draft.

Looking forward to trying it with @IsaacBV and @jevansfp and their sons.

Seems to work well but we will want to tweak the pool of cards/dice in order to adjust the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
    Assembled a cube with my son last week. Features:

1. 144 cards (all commons and uncommons) -- allows simulated Rainbow draft for up to 6 (24 cards/dice per player);
    2. DC and Marvel only (because we do not have sufficient extras of the other sets;
    3. Average of 4 dice for each (in order to avoid dilution because of multiple sets) -- but distribution of 1-7 die for each character;
    4. 36 characters.

We have draft twice and played a few games. For less than 6 players, we deal out 2 packs of 12 cards to each player and then pull those dice into the draft pool. Then run like a Rainbow draft. I keep it in a separate box so we can pull it out anytime and run a quick draft.

Looking forward to trying it with @IsaacBV and @jevansfp and their sons.

Seems to work well but we will want to tweak the pool of cards/dice in order to adjust the meta.
    So awesome!!!
    I would be interested in seeing a list of all your cards and number of dice per character. Then a blog about how the meta shapes up, and a change log when you swap stuff out... I know that's a lot of work, but I would follow a blog like that...

Also, you don't really need "sufficient" of other sets to add them to cube.......

Can someone please explain how this Cube Draft works?

I mean there is a video, 2 websites full of text.... but hey i want to know how its happening and not the science.

So i put together much cards to a big pile and also a big pile of cubes. So what now?

Is it then mix the cards all together or do i have to seperate the Commons from the uncommons and make several roudns of drafting?

And after it, will i give every player dont know?!? 24 Cards (6 Booster like Rainbow draft) or how much and then we take 1 card and give the rest to our left/right player until everyone has took the last card from their hands?

Really i think the idea is brilliant and simple , but its far too much explaining and math on the Websites to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    So awesome!!!
    I would be interested in seeing a list of all your cards and number of dice per character. Then a blog about how the meta shapes up, and a change log when you swap stuff out... I know that's a lot of work, but I would follow a blog like that...

Also, you don't really need "sufficient" of other sets to add them to cube.......
    My son is intending to write a blog post about it. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Can someone please explain how this Cube Draft works?

I mean there is a video, 2 websites full of text.... but hey i want to know how its happening and not the science.

So i put together much cards to a big pile and also a big pile of cubes. So what now?

Is it then mix the cards all together or do i have to seperate the Commons from the uncommons and make several roudns of drafting?

And after it, will i give every player dont know?!? 24 Cards (6 Booster like Rainbow draft) or how much and then we take 1 card and give the rest to our left/right player until everyone has took the last card from their hands?

Really i think the idea is brilliant and simple , but its far too much explaining and math on the Websites to explain it.
    Disregard the name "Cube". It is confusing -- but what the format is referred to in Magic. Cube is just the pool of cards and dice that you draw from. In my instance it is a pool of 144 cards and the matching die for each. Mechanics are exactly like the Rainbow Draft (explained here: http://dicemasters.com/rainbowdraft.pdf; except you deal out cards to create the "packs" described.

Let me know if that answered your question.

Yes it does! Thank you very much!

my understanding is that it's called cube, because you keep all the cards in a box. (So that it's always ready to be shuffled up and dealt out into stacks)

www.thereservepool.com/entries/429-Cube-Drafting

The dream, and point, of the cube is to create it's own meta. Like little cup does. The choices were made by my son. Stuff he likes and stuff he knows is good... It's a development in process... and at ground level!!!
    Let me play it for a couple weeks. I'll try to post results, and how the meta is shaping up...

Sneak peek at the cube my son built today while I was at work...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG956385.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	2414
    I'll write a blog on it next week...
    He even sleeved and boxed it. What a good kid...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150807_185807.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	2417
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 08-07-2015 at 08:45 PM.

My son had a chance to use this with @geneaber and his son, said they really liked it