Thread: Starting New?

Starting New?

My brother-in-law has gotten me into the game this weekend as I was visiting his family for Father's Day, and I absolutely love it. I've only beaten him a total of two times, and I think you might have thrown itů but I'm loving it anyway.

He gave me a huge amount of duplicate comments, And uncommons but didn't have any duplicate rares. All of this is from uncanny X-Men, avengers versus X-Men, and Justice league. What I'm wondering is, if I even want to be semi competitive between myself and just my friends playing comic sets, would it be better for me to pick and choose rares and super rare that I like (I have about 50% of the Commons and uncommon from the aforementioned sets), or buy a gravity feed of each, and if I keep liking it, go ahead for an age of all Truong gra or buy a gravity feed of each, and if I keep liking it, go ahead for an age of ultron GF as well?

Like, say I got an normal distribution of rares in each gravity feed, would I be saving money by buying that same amount personally one by one on eBay or something? Or would it be cheaper to pull them?

By the way, I am dictating this on my iPhone, and Siri has no idea what the word rare is, changing it to raider with a R like the football team, and prayer as in praying to God, twice so far. Just a funny tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManLogan View Post
    age of all Truong
    Nothing more fierce than an army of Vietnamese robots.

If you plan on just playing amongst friends singles might be fine, and also consider buying the starters because the character cards in the starters are unique. Buy gravity feeds if you're going to go deep down the rabbit hole.

You should be able to get the commons and uncommons for the existing sets from other players as long as you join a local Dice Masters community and generally be a nice person and let them know you're getting into the game. Veterans have lots of otherwise useless cards and dice and I suspect most would gladly give these to new players to grow the local community.

Look for organized play events in your area and show up for draft or sealed events. Not only are these a lot of fun, you'll be on a more even playing field than for constructed. You'll also get to meet others who are playing, and people will basically just give you whatever commons and uncommons from the event that you want or need. You can also start to get a few rares along the way. It does depend on which sets they are drafting from, though.

If you're going to just buy gravity feeds and boosters for the sake of filling out your collection, do it with new sets. Veterans are more likely to have completed the older sets, so duplicate rares from older sets will have less trade value. However, they will tend to have excess rares from old sets that they will be eager to trade for rares from a new set. Wait for AoU and overdo it on that. And start trading early after a set is released, while the trade pool is most active. Eventually it will dry up as a set ages out. Use the trade system here and at BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1...38#item3879938.

We don't know the exact distribution of rares and super rares, and it may vary from set to set. One gravity feed probably won't get you enough rares to trade into a full set, but two probably will, with enough total rares to make finding trade matches easier. But not necessarily; the trader population is still small enough that some rares just won't show up for trade. You can fill in those from eBay, CoolStuff, etc. but I'd try to wait until the trade activity for a set has died down first.

Don't chase super rares by buying boosters. Get what you will from your normal course of collecting, but limit buying boosters to collecting a tradable inventory of rares at most. You might get 2-3 super rares along the way; trade duplicates. If you have to have them, singles on the secondary market may be pricey, particularly for power cards like Constantine, but usually much less than what you'd need to spend chasing them.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that collecting Dice Masters indiscriminately is a sucker's game. The rate at which they plan to release sets is overwhelming, and trying to keep up with them all (as well as collect older sets) is going to be beyond most people's (rational) budgets. Decide which sets you want to actively collect, which sets you'll casually play (e.g. drafts) and which you'll just skip. Decide if you want to play competively, and if so focus on what you need for competitive builds and ignore the subpar stuff. Go full collector mode on IPs that you love and limit the rest to draft and sealed events.

LMoE

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOnEarth View Post
    You should be able to get the commons and uncommons for the existing sets from other players as long as you join a local Dice Masters community and generally be a nice person and let them know you're getting into the game. Veterans have lots of otherwise useless cards and dice and I suspect most would gladly give these to new players to grow the local community.

Look for organized play events in your area and show up for draft or sealed events. Not only are these a lot of fun, you'll be on a more even playing field than for constructed. You'll also get to meet others who are playing, and people will basically just give you whatever commons and uncommons from the event that you want or need. You can also start to get a few rares along the way. It does depend on which sets they are drafting from, though.

If you're going to just buy gravity feeds and boosters for the sake of filling out your collection, do it with new sets. Veterans are more likely to have completed the older sets, so duplicate rares from older sets will have less trade value. However, they will tend to have excess rares from old sets that they will be eager to trade for rares from a new set. Wait for AoU and overdo it on that. And start trading early after a set is released, while the trade pool is most active. Eventually it will dry up as a set ages out. Use the trade system here and at BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1...38#item3879938.

We don't know the exact distribution of rares and super rares, and it may vary from set to set. One gravity feed probably won't get you enough rares to trade into a full set, but two probably will, with enough total rares to make finding trade matches easier. But not necessarily; the trader population is still small enough that some rares just won't show up for trade. You can fill in those from eBay, CoolStuff, etc. but I'd try to wait until the trade activity for a set has died down first.

Don't chase super rares by buying boosters. Get what you will from your normal course of collecting, but limit buying boosters to collecting a tradable inventory of rares at most. You might get 2-3 super rares along the way; trade duplicates. If you have to have them, singles on the secondary market may be pricey, particularly for power cards like Constantine, but usually much less than what you'd need to spend chasing them.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that collecting Dice Masters indiscriminately is a sucker's game. The rate at which they plan to release sets is overwhelming, and trying to keep up with them all (as well as collect older sets) is going to be beyond most people's (rational) budgets. Decide which sets you want to actively collect, which sets you'll casually play (e.g. drafts) and which you'll just skip. Decide if you want to play competively, and if so focus on what you need for competitive builds and ignore the subpar stuff. Go full collector mode on IPs that you love and limit the rest to draft and sealed events.

LMoE
    Sounds about right from what I've heard at the comic shop I was taken to this weekend. I think I'll wait a little and then buy a gravity feed of at least one set just because I like opening shinies

My brother-in-law has gotten me into the game this weekend as I was visiting his family for Father's Day, and I absolutely love it. I've only beaten him a total of two times, and I think you might have thrown it… but I'm loving it anyway.

He gave me a huge amount of duplicate comments, And uncommons but didn't have any duplicate rares. All of this is from uncanny X-Men, avengers versus X-Men, and Justice league. What I'm wondering is, if I even want to be semi competitive between myself and just my friends playing comic sets, would it be better for me to pick and choose rares and super rare that I like (I have about 50% of the Commons and uncommon from the aforementioned sets), or buy a gravity feed of each, and if I keep liking it, go ahead for an age of all Truong gra or buy a gravity feed of each, and if I keep liking it, go ahead for an age of ultron GF as well?

Like, say I got an normal distribution of rares in each gravity feed, would I be saving money by buying that same amount personally one by one on eBay or something? Or would it be cheaper to pull them?

By the way, I am dictating this on my iPhone, and Siri has no idea what the word rare is, changing it to raider with a R like the football team, and prayer as in praying to God, twice so far. Just a funny tidbit.
    Haha, OK man. I'll try to get my sister to figure out how to go online on your computer to look up your saved teams

JK, JK. I can't wait until you get more; I can't believe how insistent you are on playing competitively with just the cards you have.

Now I wish I'd gotten you Dice Masters as a wedding present... just so you could be at my level already.

Maybe I'll use my sisters' birthdays as excuses to send you good cards! "Oh, yeah, I thought you'd really like watching OldManLogan play this card against me..."

Good luck!

And have fun back at those events you found that are a little further away than I want to travel.

My brother-in-law has gotten me into the game this weekend as I was visiting his family for Father's Day, and I absolutely love it. I've only beaten him a total of two times, and I think you might have thrown it… but I'm loving it anyway.

I actively only collect the comic sets and then buy singles of a few of the other cards needed for constructed events and tournaments.

Welcome to the game! To play competitive, I second what @RainCityJenna said. Collect what you want, but there are key cards from all sets you will need to get your hands on. I have single bought a few YGO cards for that reason and pull packs from there every now and then for the extras.