Thread: Determining Play Order in Post-Attack Global Phase

Determining Play Order in Post-Attack Global Phase

Playing out this phase, especially when the attacking player has lethal without it, and there are multiple relevant globals at play like Distraction, PXG and Transfer Power, has always been a bit confusing to me.

Does it work identically to the main phase? Can weird stuff like bluff-passing lead to killing ramp? What about something like Transfer Power? Who is forced to use it first? If I am the active player and I have lethal, I assume I can safely pass and act second until otherwise. But if I don't have lethal, could have lethal, and pass it to my opponent, if they pass back thinking I will obviously do something before they choose to PXG, can I pass back and kill ramp instead of going for lethal?

Maybe I'm over complicating this in my head.

Thanks!

Michael

Yes, it works exactly the same as in the Main Phase:

• Active player has initial priority.
    • Inactive player must wait for active player to pass priority to them.
    • Active player must give inactive player the chance to do all that they wish.
    • If the inactive player takes no actions, and then the active player takes no actions, the phase ends (and, in the case of the attack step, damage is assigned and resolved).
    • If active player takes any actions they must pass priority to the inactive player.

And, yes, you can play all the same mind games.

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Playing out this phase, especially when the attacking player has lethal without it, and there are multiple relevant globals at play like Distraction, PXG and Transfer Power, has always been a bit confusing to me.

Does it work identically to the main phase? Can weird stuff like bluff-passing lead to killing ramp? What about something like Transfer Power? Who is forced to use it first? If I am the active player and I have lethal, I assume I can safely pass and act second until otherwise. But if I don't have lethal, could have lethal, and pass it to my opponent, if they pass back thinking I will obviously do something before they choose to PXG, can I pass back and kill ramp instead of going for lethal?

Maybe I'm over complicating this in my head.

Thanks!

Michael
    I ALWAYS pass first on the attack phase. Why not see what your opponent does first.

Quote Originally Posted by RainCityJenna View Post
    I ALWAYS pass first on the attack phase. Why not see what your opponent does first.
    I usually do as well. But there are occasional instances where it makes sense to act first, as the active player.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I usually do as well. But there are occasional instances where it makes sense to act first, as the active player.
    Always was a bit of a strong word.

Thanks Scorpion, that's all really good to know!