Thread: A very villainous bunch

A very villainous bunch

Concept:
    Villains have always been, and probably always will be, my favorite characters. I've always loved how they don't give up no matter how many times their plans are thwarted. But their plans are always thwarted! There's always some goodie-two-shoes chump waiting to stop even the best of plans. So, I wanted to give the villains a chance to take down the good guys once and for all!
    It's a fairly straight forward ping team but I'm thinking it needs a bit more control. I can use my sidekicks as a defensive line and I can use Pandora's global to make them pay for taking out my defensive line, but that's pretty much it. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone want to buy Norman Osborn and two Goblin Lords for me?

Three Die:

2 Die:

BAC:

Last edited by systemskill; 06-21-2015 at 08:46 PM.

This team is effective, but on the whole you've got very few instances where you need to buy any of your 2 die characters or even Mr. Sinister. You could win a game with Manta, Gobby and Cheetah alone.

Some cards I recommend looking at to replace them include the following categories.
    Ramp sources: PXG, BEWG(this one more than any other) and Ice Man Too Cool For Words.
    Removal: Solomon Grundy (is World class)
    Utility: Bring Iron Man Tin Head from AoU and you have all the villains you could need with Ice Man on the team.
    Low costs: If you are facing a PXG team it REALLY helps to have a 2 cost. Look to AoU drones for that, or until then pick up a Constantine(uncommmon or Super Rare) or another 2 cost, though you're missing shield characters for those turns you get 2 sidekicks and 2 shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    This team is effective, but on the whole you've got very few instances where you need to buy any of your 2 die characters or even Mr. Sinister. You could win a game with Manta, Gobby and Cheetah alone.

Some cards I recommend looking at to replace them include the following categories.
    Ramp sources: PXG, BEWG(this one more than any other) and Ice Man Too Cool For Words.
    Removal: Solomon Grundy (is World class)
    Utility: Bring Iron Man Tin Head from AoU and you have all the villains you could need with Ice Man on the team.
    Low costs: If you are facing a PXG team it REALLY helps to have a 2 cost. Look to AoU drones for that, or until then pick up a Constantine(uncommmon or Super Rare) or another 2 cost, though you're missing shield characters for those turns you get 2 sidekicks and 2 shields.
    I was just getting ready to include this in my original post, but I was actually trying to run DC/Marvel villains exclusively here. So that means I couldn't run PXG, Ol' Blue Eyes, or 2c4w unless I wanted to break my theme. That's a huge reason I'm running Norman Osborn here. He was the only villain I could find that let me roll extra die for bigger purchases.

I also agree with the Drones possibly being really potent here. The 2 cost drone would be great for a turn one and two purchases. It would give me a decent control option and energy flow. It also pairs really well with the common Pyro. So if I declared an attack with that little fella, and then captured the blocker, what happens? Do I get to ignore the captured card's text? Does my drone get through?
    Last edited by systemskill; 06-21-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Grundy doesn't synergize with norman

I have been running a similar deck to this which I am fairly happy with - it trades some of the additional damage sources you have (Pyro, Mister Sinister) for some control elements (Joker, Toad, Deadpool). I found in practice that Cheetah + Black Manta is already pretty steady damage output and you only need 1-2 additional options to finish people off. I have been using Blue Beetle, but Mister Sinister and Deathstroke do a similar job. I haven't tried Sinestro - would be interested to see how he goes, my concern is that he is too expensive to grab early enough to be of use.

Grundy needs Blue Eyes to really work, since it lets you KO him for a single energy. As an alternative you could use Toad as a way of removing characters on your opponent's turn - there is some anti synergy with Captain Cold though depending on which version you use. Deadpool adds a similar removal option as well, not sure if he fits the theme or not.

I can't really see why you need Pandora's Box here - your entire lineup are Villians already so all you can use the Global for is Mister Sinister and to make Sidekicks villians to trigger retaliation (which is ok, but not great). I would recommend you change this for Villianous Pact to get some additional ramp into the deck. On a similar note I'm not sure if Anger Issues is needed - there aren't any big beaters in this lineup which are going to use the Overcrush.

Ive made a villain deck in the past. Its pretty much perfect for what I'm going with.

Another card that you would find fun for a more aggressive team is

But yeah, Iron Man Tin head is good in the future.

Have you tried the 4 cost deathstroke? BEWD plus Regeneration.

I have thought of the 4 cost. But weapons Master can be an end game buy if I have enough of my characters down.

Wouldn't the 4 cost do the same damage if you blue eyes him? Then you can regen him, and try again.

It only activates black manta's skill. It doesnt activate his fielding skill. Which I like more. Ill play test it and try it out.

Wouldn't the 4 cost do the same damage if you blue eyes him? Then you can regen him, and try again.
    I dunno if Slade Wilson is nearly as effective. You can only regenerate him if he's knocked out, so I can't land an attack with him and then attempt to regenerate him to use as a defender. But with Weapons Master you can field, ping, knock out, and then roll him the next turn for another fielding or for more energy. I don't think that costing one extra energy is going to mess up his purchase curve enough to warrant swapping him out, especially considering he is getting that discount from Ol' Blue Eyes.

Now, if I could regenerate him any time he left the field then I'd be all over it. I don't think it would be particularly broken considering there's only a 50/50 chance that he gets refielded. I don't think it would be very different than this fella:

I've forgotten about this Magneto. He'd be great but I still like Weapons Master more. Ping the opponent for just fielding him and then attacking with the possibility of K'Oing him or just letting him go to used. Win Win.

I wasn't very thurough on the 4 cost Deathstroke. Sure you can get x+1 damage when you field him, and another x when he is KOed, but you could also field him, attack with him, if he is blocked and not KOed, great, if he is KOed there is a 50% chance you get free x damage, plus you did his attack in damage to something. If he regenerated, that means you can again block with him deal his attack, and either KO or not. Lastly, you could Blue eyes him in any of the above situations including your main phase. If you do blue-eyes him in the main phase, and he regenerated, you could Blue eyes him again. If he regens a third time, blue eyes again then spend a bolt. BAM 4 cost blue eyes, that did x*3 damage to your opponent. Sure the chances are lower, but the payout is bigger.

I wasn't very thurough on the 4 cost Deathstroke. Sure you can get x+1 damage when you field him, and another x when he is KOed, but you could also field him, attack with him, if he is blocked and not KOed, great, if he is KOed there is a 50% chance you get free x damage, plus you did his attack in damage to something. If he regenerated, that means you can again block with him deal his attack, and either KO or not. Lastly, you could Blue eyes him in any of the above situations including your main phase. If you do blue-eyes him in the main phase, and he regenerated, you could Blue eyes him again. If he regens a third time, blue eyes again then spend a bolt. BAM 4 cost blue eyes, that did x*3 damage to your opponent. Sure the chances are lower, but the payout is bigger.
    Yeah, I could actually see the merit of running Slade Wilson if you're running BEWD too. The ability to knock him out for the discount and still have a chance to attack. He would be especially nice if you were having trouble fielding or purchasing Grundy for some reason.
    @Shadowmeld I'm considering swapping my two BAC for Villainous Pact and something else. I'm thinking either imprisoned or distraction. But I'm not too sure yet. My rationale behind Anger Issues was that it would be nice to stick on Pyro. It makes sense that he'll get blocked every single time. Taking 1 damage is better than taking 5. But I was thinking that with Anger Issues I can pump that up to 3 or even 4 damage. But I'm wondering how often I'll actually be able to pull that off. I don't know if it's worth running Anger Issues for JUST Pyro. Anyone have thoughts on this?
    I'm also weighing including PXG in Norman Osborn's spot for two reasons. I'll be getting more ramp and, more importantly, I don't actually have Norman Osborn or ANY Goblin die. That kinda puts a hamper on using him. PXG would be a placeholder for BEWD. I'm definitely more okay with running monsters here than I am with running heroes.
    And I'm actually thinking about swapping Magneto - Will to Live out for Mister Sinister. I think the ability to cycle him easily will work well with Black Manta and it gives me more masks for PXG.
    Last edited by systemskill; 06-22-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Im already running Blue eye's. That's the reason I put Weapon Masters into the deck. I can blow him up and try to field him again. Most of my characters are a 3 to 2 cost. My highest priced characters are 5. Running ramp with both Blue Eyes and PXG

On the original team I like the interaction of Norman Osborn, Black Manta and a villainous sidekick via Pandora's box.

Villains usually tend to wall up and ping an opponent to death. With that plan Anger Issues seems unnecessary. If you replace that with Villainous Pact you will have an easier time getting to your 5 cost dice.

Straight villains like yours don't have a great way to knock out problem characters (without using BEWD combos). Cat Woman is the best answer I've found. Spamming her dice will get you the desired result and she gets knocked out easy in battle to trigger Black Manta.

Im rethinking my options. I remembered Sinestro, the rare and Venoms rare. Its a form of removing. Alongwith using Doctor Doom Nemesis Global. That already is a problem

Cat woman is only a 50/50 chance of removal. With grundy its a sure way to remove a character.

Consider the rare Sinestro or rare Venom to help the villain strategy of hiding behind a wall of dudes succeed.

I thought of that at work and made a list. Venom is more defensive in my eyes.

Nothing but defense. Same for A good card to go with Venom and Sinestro which I just remembered is . Cards that also go with Venom and Sinestro are

I feel this version of Death Stroke is offensive. Along with Cheetah

So far Ive come up with this for an offensive villain deck

Tsarina because she's a cheap fist and helps because of Venoms burst if I can get it.

I have decided to go with for the Blue Eyes/Gobby deck. Cheaper and I need a wall. Weapons Master is more of an offensive type of card.