Thread: Mono Mask Monstrous Justice-Men

Mono Mask Monstrous Justice-Men

Hello everyone,

My FLGS is hosting "Thrifty Shades of Gray", an all commons event, on July 4th. It's a situation where I have almost two weeks to make up about twenty thousand teams in my head, but not one where I get a chance to play them. I had thought of doing a super burn all-bolt all-stars team, but I'd like to try something different. And this is what I came up with:

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=4x...%20Justice-Men

Given, I'm going to change my mind five thousand times before July 4th. But, so far, what does everyone think? My main strategy seems to be to swing with a Beholder and as many Green Lanterns as possible to do some direct damage, and hopefully clear the path for some power ring wielding bozos to punch a chump.

Do I have a hot mess on my hands, or something usable?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    It doesn't fit the theme, but with all those when fielded effects, bewd would be a huge benefit I think.

Edit: all Commons, I'm an idiot!

Just quoting you here, but your plan is to swing with 2 characters (realistically if you are buying multiple GLs a fastish team will have beaten you) and getting 2 direct damage in on top of perhaps 12 from those attackers. Call it 10 on average.

You have distraction to "remove" some blockers, but if your plan is to run this strategy, why don't you have something that will let you garuntee those 10 points? Anger issues, dimension door, or.... *Cringe* imprisoned.

Dropping a free swords down is cool, but its ability is kind of wasted when beholder attacks. Instead, you could have villainous pact, pick your battles, anger issues, even just gearing up to get more energy for globals.

I love the Storm/Cerebro combo, but you want to be able to consistently knock her out and that's not terribly easy to do if your opponent is willing to take a hit to the chin and send Storm to used.

Instead, you're going to want to walk away from the PURE team and include a few different cards. Specifically, you want Stinking Cloud as the cheapest form of AoE in the entire game, and you're alwao going to want Blue Dragon - Lesser Dragon. He's going to make sure that each Stinking Cloud deals 2 damage to all characters, knocking out level 2 and 3 Storms as well. Because I'm vicious and like dealing damage to my opponent whenever I can, I'd throw in Black Manta - David into the mix as well and wait till the attack step to Stink up the field. This is going to give you your Storm knockouts and deal 1 damage to your opponent for each Black Manta you have fielded. An issue with this strategy is that it can clear off most of your own field if you abuse it, so it's good to bring along Iron Man - Inventor who isn't going to take any damage from either effect.

How do you fit all this into your team? You make it less top-heavy. As much as I love Beholder, I don't think he's a good fit for your team. First, the Swords of Revealing Light isn't worth squat to you and second, he doesn't trigger Green Lantern. Using an action die is when you use it from the reserve pool. Using an action die's ability (like Blue Dragon stipulates) is when you activate its effect like with Beholder. In the same vein, Green Lantern gets edged out by this strategy since he's a bit squishy, making it difficult for him to survive the heavy AoE. Then I'd toss out PXG! My hatred for him runs deep and even in a mask team, I can't bring myself to include him in my strategies. Finally, I'd actually switch to Zatanna - Actual Magician since you're going to be knocking her out a bunch. This is going to give you more energy all at once by prepping Zatanna and another die instead of having it trickle in one die at a time whenever you field one of her.

You may ask why I have such a specific set of ideas for this team list, and it's because I already made the team I just described as soon as I caught wind of the 'All X-Rarity' formats. Mummy along with Storm and Cerebro is a very powerful core for a mask team, but I'm always loathe to make my team all one energy type. As such, I made sure to incorporate a little bit of everything, focusing my strategy on heavy control and burn with Black Manta. Currently my only question is whether or not to sub out Beast for a Halfling Thief since I'm doing just fine on the prepping/blocking front with Zatanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    As much as I love Beholder, I don't think he's a good fit for your team. First, the Swords of Revealing Light isn't worth squat to you and second, he doesn't trigger Green Lantern. Using an action die is when you use it from the reserve pool. Using an action die's ability (like Blue Dragon stipulates) is when you activate its effect like with Beholder.
    I appreciate your feedback on the team, and I see where changes are good to be made, but I am pretty sure Beholder would activate GL. Since Beholder says use as if you had rolled those die, anything activated by actions should actionally activate. This is a scaled down version of a team I made with Beholder and Strange, although I can't use that awesome Strange here because he's an Uncommon.

I thought about using the Beholder-Imprisioned-Distraction combo (APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE IS IN THE HOUSE!)... but man, that's rough. I mean, you know, c'mon.

What about switching the Common Doctor Strange (he of the free action dice) in for Green Lantern and changing Swords to Anger Issues? I don't know about you, but an 11 attack overcrushing Doctor Strange is pretty funny to me. "Strange smash!" Good times. And, even though he's totes expensive, with *bleh* PXG, Mummy making things a little cheaper, and all that churn and prepping going on maybe 7 won't be such a hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    I appreciate your feedback on the team, and I see where changes are good to be made, but I am pretty sure Beholder would activate GL. Since Beholder says use as if you had rolled those die, anything activated by actions should actionally activate.
    Well, we haven't had a direct ruling on this yet, but http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=4492 is pretty explicit that an action die is considered used only when it is taken from the reserve pool. Beholder very explicitly states that you only use the action dice's abilities as though you rolled them. This does not mean that you actually used any action dice, but it does help with timing and resolving how those effects come into play. It's important to note the difference between Doctor Strange/Green Lantern and Blue Dragon: the former require you actually use and action die, whereas the Blue Dragon only requires you use its ability.

Yeah, Beholder/Imprisoned is just MEAN. It requires a bit of support, but if you can pull it off, that's just cruel...

Doctor Strange could do good things, especially alongside the Blue Dragon - Apprentice Dragon instead since that would get rid of a pesky wall character. However, if I'm going to be grabbing/using action dice for free with this kind of team, I'd definitely want Pick Your Battles for an almost completely uncontested swing, even more so alongside the Beholder/Blue Dragon combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Well, we haven't had a direct ruling on this yet, but http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=4492 is pretty explicit that an action die is considered used only when it is taken from the reserve pool. Beholder very explicitly states that you only use the action dice's abilities as though you rolled them. This does not mean that you actually used any action dice, but it does help with timing and resolving how those effects come into play. It's important to note the difference between Doctor Strange/Green Lantern and Blue Dragon: the former require you actually use and action die, whereas the Blue Dragon only requires you use its ability.
    We aren't talking about using an action die though, only just using an action. What the ruling you linked is talking about is things like Cerebro and gear in D&D. It wouldn't be considered used every time you did something with the dice (attach to a different die from the field or discard from a card after it had been played), only when it is first activated (fielded). It has nothing to do with the question at hand. The question is: When one card says use an action, does that then trigger something that happens when an action is used on a different card? I say yes, because use an action = use an action. Otherwise, if it doesn't, then fielding a character wouldn't trigger when fielded effects, or when blocking effects wouldn't be triggered when a character blocks.

I think Beholder/Imprisoned is, somehow, worse than the Beetle/Cheetah/Firestorm combo (with or without a side of Deep Sea Deviant).