Thread: Red Tornado - Lab Creation and Swarm

Red Tornado - Lab Creation and Swarm

So I have a question, swarm applies to if you draw another copy of a die you have fielded during clear and draw, you get an extra draw. Red Tornado says during the clear and draw step if you draw 3 or more sidekicks you can put them in used and draw 4 new dice. During the time you draw the 4 other dice, if you draw swarm dice, do you get more draws since it is during clear and draw? Or is the swarm ability nullified if you aren't drawing them naturally from clear and draw?

Yes, these abilities do stack and synergize.

Red Tornado's effect procs and resolves within the clear and draw phase. Kobolds also proc and resolve within the clear and draw phase. What's fun, is how these abilities work together!

If you draw two sidekicks, and two Kobolds, you then draw two more dice. If one or more of those dice is a sidekick, then Red Tornado procs and you send all sidekick dice you've drawn to the used pile and draw four more dice. Note, you get to decide in which order the effects proc, so the moment you draw your third sidekick (outside of the initial four dice drawn), you want to be resolving your Red Tornado effect. This will guarantee that you have the highest chance to draw non-sidekick dice with any swarming that your Kobolds do.

Ok awesome, that was what I thought. I was just skeptical because usually when it sounds awesome, a ruling somewhere prevents it. This means I can keep building on my one sided ramp strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    If you draw two sidekicks, and two Kobolds, you then draw two more dice. If one or more of those dice is a sidekick, then Red Tornado procs and you send all sidekick dice you've drawn to the used pile and draw four more dice.
    And if any of those four are Kobolds you get to draw again!

Can you trigger Red Tornado in between Swarm triggers? I've been toying with this combo a bit and had always wondered about that. I've been playing that you can not, but thought I'd make sure and get others' opinions since it came up.

Example:
    -Draw 2 Sidekicks and 2 Kobolds and get two Swarm triggers.
    -Draw 1 extra and it's a Sidekick.
    ? Can Red Tornado be triggered now, or does next die need to be drawn from the other Swarm trigger #2 since it happened before the Red Tornado trigger?

I've been playing it I have to draw the next die first since the triggers are simultaneous, so if I then have a total of 4 sidekicks and 2 Kobolds, I have to move all 4 sidekicks to the used pile when Red Tornado triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexei View Post
    Can you trigger Red Tornado in between Swarm triggers? I've been toying with this combo a bit and had always wondered about that. I've been playing that you can not, but thought I'd make sure and get others' opinions since it came up.

Example:
    -Draw 2 Sidekicks and 2 Kobolds and get two Swarm triggers.
    -Draw 1 extra and it's a Sidekick.
    ? Can Red Tornado be triggered now, or does next die need to be drawn from the other Swarm trigger #2 since it happened before the Red Tornado trigger?

I've been playing it I have to draw the next die first since the triggers are simultaneous, so if I then have a total of 4 sidekicks and 2 Kobolds, I have to move all 4 sidekicks to the used pile when Red Tornado triggers.
    You should be able to "interrupt" the Swarm Triggers. The drawing happens all at once, so all of the effects are going to proc at the same time. This means that the active player (you) gets to choose which effects to resolve and when. That's why I advised that you activate Red Tornado as soon as possible to maximize your efficiency.

For reference, from the rulebook:
    Swarm: While active, whenever you draw one of this character’s dice from your bag during the Clear and Draw Step, draw one additional die. You only draw one die no matter how many copies of this die are active. This ability can trigger multiple times per turn. It does not trigger for different characters that also have the swarm ability.

You should be able to "interrupt" the Swarm Triggers. The drawing happens all at once, so all of the effects are going to proc at the same time. This means that the active player (you) gets to choose which effects to resolve and when. That's why I advised that you activate Red Tornado as soon as possible to maximize your efficiency.
    Ah, gotcha. For some reason I didn't absorb that as your meaning in your previous message. I r gud readr...

Well then, it looks like I've been shorting myself on some dice.

I'd agree that it works this way but it would be good to get a forum ruling that Red Tornado's ability doesn't only proc if all three sidekicks are drawn simultaneously.

Yes, these abilities do stack and synergize.

Red Tornado's effect procs and resolves within the clear and draw phase. Kobolds also proc and resolve within the clear and draw phase. What's fun, is how these abilities work together!

If you draw two sidekicks, and two Kobolds, you then draw two more dice. If one or more of those dice is a sidekick, then Red Tornado procs and you send all sidekick dice you've drawn to the used pile and draw four more dice. Note, you get to decide in which order the effects proc, so the moment you draw your third sidekick (outside of the initial four dice drawn), you want to be resolving your Red Tornado effect. This will guarantee that you have the highest chance to draw non-sidekick dice with any swarming that your Kobolds do.
    Anyone know if there have been any recent rulings to contradict this interpretation?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    Anyone know if there have been any recent rulings to contradict this interpretation?
    I can confirm that there are no rulings made then or since to contradict this interaction.

I can confirm that there are no rulings made then or since to contradict this interaction.
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMNLuvzDice View Post
    Would both Red Tornado lab creation and swarm also apply in their respective cases and this case as well in regards to Dark Magician dark magic attack?
    Yes, but there draws would be doubled at the cost of you're life.