Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Team build for establishing play group

Team build for establishing play group

So my FLGS is getting stuff going here, and I don't want to scare people away by crushing them with top tier teams. So my thoughts are to build something synergistic, that I hopefully lose playing...

any ideas on something that would be interesting, and help make sure my opponents have a good time.

I have come up with this, but was concerned about all the used/prep shenanigans causing more confusion... or could it showcase how beneficial prepping is?

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=4x...%20constructed

Do not use AiA. But most other TPA teams could work. Most of them are built with one arm behind their back for a few reasons. 1) economy. 2) low entry level on skill. 3) to emphasize a particular theme or mechanic over a tournament level cohesion. Try out black versus blue, those two are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Do not use AiA. But most other TPA teams could work. Most of them are built with one arm behind their back for a few reasons. 1) economy. 2) low entry level on skill. 3) to emphasize a particular theme or mechanic over a tournament level cohesion. Try out black versus blue, those two are fun.
    oh yeah, duh...
    I've been wanting to play those...

if my opponent attacks with 2 characters, and I block one, would I then have to distract my invisible stalker in order to prevent the damage from the second?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post

if my opponent attacks with 2 characters, and I block one, would I then have to distract my invisible stalker in order to prevent the damage from the second?
    I believe you would use the Invisible Stalker's ability in reaction to damage being dealt to you. Since combat damage is dealt simultaneously, I think you could use Invisible Stalker's ability as long as he isn't KO'd by blocking the other attacker. No need to use Distraction, other than to possibly keep him from being KO'd.

Distraction doesn't work on blockers anyway.

oh yeah...

also, I can only sacrifice this stalker in response to being dealt damage? Or can I do it voluntarily anytime I wish?

Edit: never mind, that was already answered...

So, prevention effects are in response to damage, and all damage is simultaneous. The confusing thing here is that it's preventing damage from an engagement it is not part of. If we looked at the ability from the perspective of how rare Mr. Fantastic works, wouldn't our prevention ability be triggered BEFORE we are removed from the board by damage? Thus couldn't we remove the stalker from the board BEFORE he is KOed, preventing both damage sources? (Ignoring Overcrush complications)

it works with this correct?

During my opponents attack step, I block with sangaan (gets ko'd), use stalker on an unblocked character, both my guys end up in prep.

I think there is a ruling that pertains to this.

Just need to figure out if it's in the FAQ or the rules forum, and find it...

Found it. It's not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    So, prevention effects are in response to damage, and all damage is simultaneous. The confusing thing here is that it's preventing damage from an engagement it is not part of. If we looked at the ability from the perspective of how rare Mr. Fantastic works, wouldn't our prevention ability be triggered BEFORE we are removed from the board by damage? Thus couldn't we remove the stalker from the board BEFORE he is KOed, preventing both damage sources? (Ignoring Overcrush complications)
    @Shadowmeld you are right!

assigning and resolving combat damage works like this.

1. "assign" damage... that's it, just assigning it... no "receiving damage", damage dealt, no ko'ing, move to prep, etc... none of that.
    2. unblocked characters go out of play first! before any other effect! ( EXCEPT damage prevention that is!)
    3. blocked/blocking characters KO where applicable.
    4. effects trigger from steps 2 & 3.

from the rule book
    sounds right?

it works with this correct?

During my opponents attack step, I block with sangaan (gets ko'd), use stalker on an unblocked character, both my guys end up in prep.
    so I had the above out of order.
    it's actually.
    1. declare sangaan blocker
    2. dont block big huge dude
    3. "assign" damage from unblocked characters... INTERRUPT HERE, sac the stalker!
    4. sangaan gets KO'D...

1. "assign" damage... that's it, just assigning it... no "receiving damage", damage dealt, no ko'ing, move to prep, etc... none of that.
    2. unblocked DEAL damage and go out of play first! before any other effect! ( EXCEPT damage prevention that is!)
    3. blocked/blocking characters DEAL damage and KO.
    4. effects trigger from steps 2 & 3.

from the rule book
    sounds right?
    I'm pretty sure the damage is DEALT during step 1 as well.

It's just that unblocked characters are moved to Out Of Play (rather than Used), then KO'd characters are moved to KO, THEN effects (other than reactive/redirect/prevention effects) that trigger off damage/KO/damaging opponent occur.

however, if my stalker is forced to block an overcrush character,...

however, if my stalker is forced to block an overcrush character,...
    You sacrifice it and prevent all the damage.

Damage is dealt simultaneously in step 1 right?
    So if I block an 8/3 overcrush with stalker, do I knockout the 8/3?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    You sacrifice it and prevent all the damage.
    this doesn't work.

I only receive overcrush damage when stalker is ko'd. if he's ko'd, he's not active and I can't sac

but if my opponent has another unblocked aytacker...

this doesn't work.

I only receive overcrush damage when stalker is ko'd. if he's ko'd, he's not active and I can't sac
    Not if the Overcrush damage is actually dealt _before_ he is KO'd, as I think it is.

From the FAQ...
    19) Q: Can anything happen to a character after it deals damage but before it goes to the Used Pile? Could Hulk KO characters (with damage) who would normally be sent to the Used Pile? A: Short answer: No. Damage resolves, damage replacement effects are applied, and any characters with lethal damage are KO’d and moved to the Prep Area at the same time as characters who were unblocked go to the Used Pile. After that, other effects are applied (such as Hulk, Green Goliath’s). Characters go to the Used Pile as soon as they deal damage, before any other effects take place. All other effects then take place.

if this helps?

so this all happens at once:
    Damage resolves, damage replacement effects are applied, and any characters with lethal damage are KO’d and moved to the Prep Area at the same time as characters who were unblocked go to the "out of play"

I believe Stalker falls under "damage replacement effects".

Damage is dealt simultaneously in step 1 right?
    So if I block an 8/3 overcrush with stalker, and sac the stalker, do I knockout the 8/3?

thoughts?

Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.