Thread: Casual Formats

Casual Formats

We've tried Daredevil Drafts and simulated sealed games just for fun.

What are some casual ways that you all play with each other? Something different would be cool.

I like the idea of playing with a set pool of so many characters in the middle with their full amount of dice and then those are the choices that each player has in place. How do you figure out which characters are in there? I dunno for sure, but I'm sure you can agree on ways. Or maybe you use 8 and each player brings 4.

It's also a great way to test out a mirror match if you're curious to see how your deck would stack up.

I don't know, sounds to me like Quarriors! ... but seriously folks, I know some seem to enjoy this but it's not my cup of tea.

Pauper - Players may use one Super Rare, Rare or Uncommon card, the rest must be common

Clan Wars - Each character on the team must have the same affiliation or energy type

Armory - Teams may only have one character of each energy type and must have one character of each energy type (item cards like Mjolnir do not count towards either limit)

Commander - Players start the game with a character fielded, they must take one card for that character and it gets no additional dice. If that character is knocked out, return it to it's card and it must be purcahsed again.

Defender - Players start the game with one D20 "tower" in their attack zone and four sidekick dice "minons", as characters in the dice bag section of the playmat. All damage and game effects that refer to "opponent" apply to the tower until it is destroyed. During Cleanup, the active player moves one minion one step towards the enemy tower (Dice Bag to Reserve to Field to Attack then opponents Attack, Field, Reserve then Dice Bag). Towers take one damage per minion in their attack zone at the end of their turn and players take 1 damage per enemy minion in their Dice Bag area. Towers and Minions may be attacked directly.

Assassin (Multiplayer) - Players are randomly assigned "targets" to defeat. Defeating another player grants you their "contract", and thus a new target to attack. Drawing your own contract allows you to gain points for any player defeated.

Just some ideas! I love these posts, they really get me thinking. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
    Pauper - Players may use one Super Rare, Rare or Uncommon card, the rest must be common

Clan Wars - Each character on the team must have the same affiliation or energy type

Armory - Teams may only have one character of each energy type and must have one character of each energy type (item cards like Mjolnir do not count towards either limit)

Commander - Players start the game with a character fielded, they must take one card for that character and it gets no additional dice. If that character is knocked out, return it to it's card and it must be purcahsed again.

Defender - Players start the game with one D20 "tower" in their attack zone and four sidekick dice "minons", as characters in the dice bag section of the playmat. All damage and game effects that refer to "opponent" apply to the tower until it is destroyed. During Cleanup, the active player moves one minion one step towards the enemy tower (Dice Bag to Reserve to Field to Attack then opponents Attack, Field, Reserve then Dice Bag). Towers take one damage per minion in their attack zone at the end of their turn and players take 1 damage per enemy minion in their Dice Bag area. Towers and Minions may be attacked directly.

Assassin (Multiplayer) - Players are randomly assigned "targets" to defeat. Defeating another player grants you their "contract", and thus a new target to attack. Drawing your own contract allows you to gain points for any player defeated.
    I'd love to see a commander variant come to this.

I'd love to see a commander variant come to this.
    Dude, me too!

Pauper with a C/UC/SR can still encompass a lot of the existing archetypes, can't it? I can run a pretty mean villain team pretty much completely intact if my UC is Nasty Boy. I can run a solid variant of Flying Sidekick with one UC too.

Quote Originally Posted by TRPDave View Post
    Pauper with a C/UC/SR can still encompass a lot of the existing archetypes, can't it? I can run a pretty mean villain team pretty much completely intact if my UC is Nasty Boy. I can run a solid variant of Flying Sidekick with one UC too.
    True, I was just making stuff up off the top of my head honestly. Maybe a one dice limit on your king would help too?

I like random selection:
    Start with an energy die and a 6 sided die.
    Roll them both and select a character based on the results:
    Bolt + 4 = select a character that costs 3 from your pool of bolt characters.
    Shield + 1 = select a 7 cost shield character
    question mark + 5 select any 5 cost character.

This allows you to have a completely random team built that creates some really fun situations and gameplay.