Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One property only players

One property only players

So I've been judging and playing events at three different stores over the last year. I've had very successful events, and disappointing events. I've noticed a group of players that I have trouble catering to:
    The people who only like one property.
    They only buy and enjoy playing D&D, for example. They'll come to events that are mixed, and they'll follow the guidelines if we're doing some kind of creative build, but they quietly grumble or ask when we're going to do more D&D events. I'm scared that being in the middle of a six month Marvel storyline, and a five month DC storyline in our future, they're going to lose interest. I'm even more concerned that if there is a large gap between sets they like, we'll lose them as players. I've tried a couple different ideas. We did a "non-standard theme team" event, where you just had to be able to explain to use what the theme of your characters is that unites them. We had an all fist energy team, an all dads team (it was close to Father's Day), a rainbow team (Red Tornado, Black Manta, Booster Gold, etc.), and an all red dice team, just to name some highlights. This didn't really seem to resonate with the one property only players, but the ones that collect from all the sets loved it.
    I've overbought quite a bit on some sets, and I've played in too many drafts at this point, so I've taken to giving away commons and uncommons to newer players. I've sort of targeted these guys so they get some Marvel and DC in their hands.
    I know I can't make someone like Superman or Spider-man, but I do want to be sure they have fun when they play Dice Masters with us. I've sort of already lost a guy because he is only into Yugioh, so I'm looking for advice. Are you a one property person? What would make Dice Masters more fun for you in a mixed setting? Do you have these folks in your groups? How do you keep them engaged in long storylines that the prizes don't interest them, because they don't have the dice.
    We really want to do draft at one of the stores, but we have so many one property players, we're scared the turnout will be very low.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-24-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: on behalf of my wife and other women using the site.

Deleted
    Last edited by chalos13; 06-24-2015 at 08:37 PM.

First off, the female DiceMasters players (including the ones on this site) may take offense to those statements.

As to the actual complaint, there's not necessarily a lot you can do. I can understand the benefit to working within a specific IP, especially since (for example) D&D works best within its own set. What you might consider doing is having a rotating schedule. Maybe the first week of the month is full constructed, the second week is superheroes (Marvel and/or DC), third week is D&D only (Rainbow or Constructed), fourth week full Hybrid, 5th week YGO Rainbow Draft (so that one guy gets his thing, but only once every 3 months)?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    First off, the female DiceMasters players (including the ones on this site) may take offense to those statements.
    I agree with this.

Perhaps a really honest discussion with the one-property players is in order. Just tell them that you'd love to cater to their needs, but the game is so new that you just can't dedicate too much to one property without hurting the scene in general. Offer to do a D&D draft, but ask them if they will support your other non-D&D events as a compromise. It seems like a scene can only work if people a. make some sacrifices and b. work together.

We have a player who prefers D&D. One of his friends pays for his draft (or loans him super hero cards) but gets to keep the cards and dice at the end of the night. That gives the player who likes the other products a way to build his collection but everyone gets to have fun and enjoy the game. Obviously this won't work for everyone but it may apply to some circumstances.

We do an event every two weeks, and so far the owner of the shop I'm at most wants to clear older kits first. That means we have like 2 months worth of marvel prizes before we get to anything else.
    The struggle is we have players that if I make it DC constructed, they don't have the stuff to play a full team. Same with others and marvel or D&D. I don't want to cater to two guys and have 5 people not show up because they don't have any D&D.

As the resident "all-in" guy, I fill up a collector's box with spare dice and spare C/UC cards for those sets, as many solid teams can be constructed just from Cs and UCs. I make it known before hand that I will have extras to borrow.

There may not be much you can do in many cases.

It may help to know what the motivating factors are. If someone is primarily interested in the IP more than Dice Masters, there's probably little you can do.

If someone is limited by how much they can/want to spend, gifting excess commons and uncommons can be a solution if they are otherwise open to constructed, but be aware that they might also be put off if rares and super rares are ruling the scene.

If someone is balking at sealed/league/draft because they don't want to buy packs for sets they aren't collecting, the best you can do is probably play the "spending a few bucks at the store helps keep it open so you have a place to play" card.

Someone might not want to do other sets because it takes time and effort to learn about each set and all the cards. People on this site are more likely to be familiar with most of the sets, but less involved players may only want to make the mental investment in groking a particular set. These players may be too intimidated to do constructed or draft, but a progressive league (start with 10 packs, add 4 each week) could provide a gentler learning curve for an unfamiliar set and helps "detune" the power levels you'd otherwise find in constructed or draft.

LMoE

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOnEarth View Post
    If someone is balking at sealed/league/draft because they don't want to buy packs for sets they aren't collecting, the best you can do is probably play the "spending a few bucks at the store helps keep it open so you have a place to play" card.
    I my Magic days, that argument was not at all persuasive with the younger guys. They don't see it as important.

I like supporting a shop if I can. It's just no shop here has a DM scene. I remember being happy to draft every week, sometimes multiple times a week, back when I played Magic. When I played WoW it was every week with other random stuff thrown in too.

You cannot make everyone happy. No matter what you do.

As the organizer, keep a positive attitude, treat everyone with respect, be fair and upfront about the rules you are playing by, and let the dice fall where they may.

For my group, I've decided the hybrid constructed/sealed format is going to work best. This allows people to bring what they want, buy what they want, and play how they want. I personally prefer rainbow draft, but not everyone is going to be jazzed about a particular IP. I'd rather do all I can to be as inclusive as I can, and hybrid seems to fit the bill.

I'll also add...

I want my little DM community to be friendly and accommodating to all players. If I had people who were so rigid in what they played and constantly complained they didn't get their way, I would not be sorry to see them go. Those kinds of players are poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I like supporting a shop if I can. It's just no shop here has a DM scene. I remember being happy to draft every week, sometimes multiple times a week, back when I played Magic. When I played WoW it was every week with other random stuff thrown in too.
    wait, you played the wow tcg? I know so few people who actually played it. Around here people, even store owners, told me "no one plays that game, they just buy it for the loot cards." I played and loved that game.

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    wait, you played the wow tcg? I know so few people who actually played it. Around here people, even store owners, told me "no one plays that game, they just buy it for the loot cards." I played and loved that game.
    Yup, played at nats a couple times. Unfortunately when I qualified for worlds I straight up didn't have the money to go.

man, best I ever did was the holiday events. Brewfest was my favorite. I did get the Long Strange Trip achievement one year though.

I wanted nothing to do with Yugioh a month ago when I first started playing, I'm not a fan of that IP in gneral and I was pretty set on keeping everything separate and just sticking to single property games, but I soon came to realize that's not the best way to play. Mixing sets opens up so many more options. It took me a few weeks to see the light, but now I'm sold and won't be skipping any sets in the future.

I'm not sure if anything there helps you, but perhaps you could show them the options in team building that open up and the fun involved with discovering all new combos and teams that would be available. If they still aren't interested I'm not sure there's much you can do. You can't please everyone all the time, if you bend to the single IP people you risk alienating other people that are interested in Unlimited. It's a tough spot for sure.

I'll try to assess some of their favorite characters and show them how they'd combo with characters from other IPs, that's a good idea. Thanks

Hey,

First time poster here, and one of the above mentioned one property players!

Ok, so why am I a one property guy? Well I actually think there's two questions in one here. "Why one property? and "Why THAT property?"

"Why one property"

There's a couple of reasons for this, mostly though these come down to cost and interest.

Cost - I only have so much disposable income. Don't get me wrong, it's quite a reasonable amount of disposable income, I'm incredibly lucky to have a job which allows me to indulge myself however it is finite and there are always so many shiny things competing for it. I'm a very very active player of star trek attack wing, which eats up about 60-70 a month between retail releases, OP entries and Ebay purchases (horrible completionist). I also play board games with friends once or twice a week and normally grab 1 or 2 new games a month to bring to the table, 40-75. Now add dice masters in to this.... I simply can't afford to complete every set they release. And as I said for attack wing, HORRIBLE completionist here. It actually pains me to see gaps in my card folders or dice trays. Take Age of Ultron as an example. I've set aside approximately 130 for day 1 (which will cover all of july), That's a gravity feed, 2 starter sets, a collectors box and a handful of boosters (to take me to 100, because it just sounds better than 94). I already know at BEST i'll pull 2 super rares. Leaving me 6 to buy, most likely through the resale market. Then there's the rares etc... There is just no way I could afford to complete every set they release so I have to pick one line. And that's before you even factor in how hard it is to track down AvX stuff at the moment. But coming from attack wing I know exactly how hard it is for people not in day 1 to get older wizkids stock (this is one of my major gripes with the company!)

Interest - (this ties in to why THAT line) - Marvel is the only property I have been exposed to really. Some minor comics reading as a child, cartoons, tv, movies etc.... DC - I have no interest in what so ever. Same for yugioh and D&D. And when I have things I am way more interest in competing for a limited budget, I have decisions to make.

Why THAT property

I collect the marvel line and there's actually several reasons why I picked this line.

First, as above it's the only line which i'm even vaguely familiar with the characters of. Yes this isn't a big factor on it's own, i did not watch much star trek before getting in to attack wing, but it does contribute.

Secondly, availability. The day I decided to try dice masters, I walked in to my local shop and they happened to have a predominantly Uncanny Xmen display for dice masters. As these were characters I was aware of I grabbed a starter and a handful of boosters for that line and the few remaining avx boosters they had. I had absolutely zero brand recognition for yugioh or D&D. As a new player they may as well not have even been there for the amount I actually registered them.

Thirdly, even going in to it I knew dice masters would be an almost impossible sell to my gaming group. The guys I play with have no interest at all. But, like myself, they had a passive awareness of the marvel universe, so i figured if I stood any chance at all it would be with characters they at least recognised.

Now i'm only just coming up to my first OP event (this sunday) so i can't talk from much experience there, but I will only be doing the marvel based events. My store plays cross property constructed, and going in I kinda know that there's really little chance for me to be competitive (and I am a competitive person) so realistically I'll walk away with participation prize and that's it. Now this did make me wonder, as I can pick up the entire OP set (with some spares) on ebay for pretty much the price of entry at my store, but I am a STRONG believer in supporting my local store. I play every attack wing op, I buy my products and games there even though I could save sometimes quite a bit from some faceless online store. But I strongly believe that local gaming stores (or any kind of local stores) are a vital part of the hobby. I certainly wouldn't be playing board games today if I hadn't gone in when I was looking to get in to attack wing and my local store is one that does things brilliantly from a customer perspective.

So i've had to accept I wont be competitive. But that's ok, I'm not going to win I'm going to have fun and improve my game but I'll only be going to the events that relate to the marvel line. My weekends are a precious resource and whilst I'd like to contribute to growing the community at my store, that good will only extends so far and I have no interest in getting cards for sets I'll never buy.

But you won't see me moaning. Or asking when the next marvel event is. I'll just be absent at those events that aren't for me.

The only suggestion I might have is to run both a cross property and property specific versions of the events. Not possible for every store (numbers might exceed supply of cards, table space is a prized commodity etc)but the kits seem to contain more than enough cards to run the events more than once, and from my perspective it could give players a good chance to experience and play against different teams. Property pure (for want of a better term) lets them learn the best of the sets they own, whereas cross property gives them a window in the all the probably awesome cards and nice dice they're currently not considering. Also if you run events on different days you can catch different crowds or give people with other commitments a chance at events they'd otherwise miss.

I know this makes a minor difference to the cost, but, why two Starter Sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I know this makes a minor difference to the cost, but, why two Starter Sets?
    I've found this is by far and away the easiest/cheapest way to complete the dice for the starter set characters. Especially as my store does a 10% discount on all pre orders.

I should add that I aim for 5 dice for every character (unless the card specifies more or there something like phoenix force or the forthcoming zombies) as from a slightly obsessive quirk the collectors boxes hold 5 dice per slot. I tried to organise them in other ways but they just dont look as good. And if the cards can field fewer I feel it never hurts to have a spare.

Therefore 2 x starter sets, plus pulling the associated card from the boosters will complete that character in my collection.

I could buy the extra dice online etc but they're less common given the only one card outside the starter set and even if you can find a website selling the individuals from the starter set, in my experience you pay more to get 2 of each character dice than by simply buying a second starter set.

If I happen to draw more than one from boosters, I also find these extras pretty easy to trade as most people are looking out for extras for the starter characters (in my incredibly limited trading pool of just a couple of people - something I hope to grow by going to ops).

Ok, well, if you only collect Marvel you probably won't be aware, but for both the D&D and DC sets the 4th variant of the Starter characters has been Common, rather than Uncommon, so even if you are looking to collect 5 dice for each, they are much much easier to get now.

And I am 99% sure that AoU is following that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Ok, well, if you only collect Marvel you probably won't be aware, but for both the D&D and DC sets the 4th variant of the Starter characters has been Common, rather than Uncommon, so even if you are looking to collect 5 dice for each, they are much much easier to get now.

And I am 99% sure that AoU is following that trend.
    Complete card lists and images have been posted. I'm 100% sure they are Commons