Thread: Putting a ring on it!

Putting a ring on it!

Alright so I have heard a lot lately about

and Lord of D (not sure the number on that one, but you know which one)

But I was wondering....to preface, I just purchased some YGO boosters and out of 7 packs pulled all three Doomcal Knight rarities. I know that

Has been talked about a lot and even used at worlds, but I was wondering if I could use

plus

Like Ring and Lord of D?

I assume that I could just by reading the text but I hadn't heard of this combo from anyone...so yeah. Just wondering! Thanks for the help in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by KingMatticus View Post
    I was wondering if I could use

plus

Like Ring and Lord of D?
    Yes, you can.

The reason Lord of D gets all the attention, though, is because he costs 1 less to purchase:

Lord of D is preferable because he's cheaper to purchase, cheaper to field, can't be used against you, and doesn't mess with your own action dice/globals.

Doomcaliber Knight's global can definitely be used against you and if his global is worse/redundant when compared to the ring strategy.

Thanks for the replies. As I started looking more deeply into the card I see what you guys mean. At least I have the common that so many people enjoy using as well.

No, that combo doesn't even work. Ring can't target Doomcaliber Knight because no action can target him, not even your own. Lord of D. can't be targeted by opponents, but can be targeted by you.

Haven't thought of that @Scum ....makes total sense though! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    No, that combo doesn't even work. Ring can't target Doomcaliber Knight because no action can target him, not even your own. Lord of D. can't be targeted by opponents, but can be targeted by you.
    Good point! LOL

However, Weather Witch can put the ring on him...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Good point! LOL

However, Weather Witch can put the ring on him...
    Weather Witch's ability can't target him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Weather Witch's ability can't target him.
    She doesn't, she targets the Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    She doesn't, she targets the Ring.
    Given their previous rulings and wordings I'd say she targets both the ring and a character.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Given their previous rulings and wordings I'd say she targets both the ring and a character.
    Hmm...

You know, I've never read the text that way, but now I look at it again, I can see how one could come to that conclusion.

However my gut feeling is still that the global targets, and changes the target of, the Action rather than targeting either character.

The question to ask then is whether an action is still necessarily targeting something after Storm's global is activated, or if the targeting requirement of using the action has already been fulfilled.

FWIW, I asked at Worlds about the Storm global/Vibranium Shield interaction from here a few months back, and whether you can redirect Cap's Protection from one of your characters to an opposing character. You can't.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    You can't.
    Interesting. I thought the point of previous rulings was that you could choose a previously illegal target.

There is very vague text in the rulebook about redirecting that implies you maybe possibly could but I don't think there was any actual previous ruling on it

When an effect is redirected, the target of the effect changes from its original target to the new one as described in the game text, even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect.
    I speculated during the discussion that that wording was there more as a catch-all for potential scenarios that could arise in the future (perhaps when an effect must happen and a redirect may alter that) and not as a loophole to let you target untargetable things.

Art was very cool at Worlds about getting rulings on some specific questions from behind the scenes after hours and Storm/Vibranium Shield (and also Storm/Casulaties) was one of them. You can't redirect either to something that isn't a natural, legal target.

Blog Entries
    Every event I've needed a ruling on Storm's global has used the literal text from the rulebook, and not retro fit it to mean only sometimes you can redirect to a nonlegal target. I'm not saying anything was done wrong at world's, but if that's the official word, then this needs an errata, right? Am I missing something? I would think you COULD use Storm's global to put a ring on DCK. But based on what you're saying, you can't.

The way I parse the excerpt from the rulebook, I interpret it as you can only redirect to an illegal target if the confluence of events is such that the illegal redirect must happen.

The key part to me is "from its original target to the new one as described in the game text." Using Casulaties as an example, the game text states that it KOs a sidekick. If you choose to redirect it, the game text is still searching for a Sidekick, so you can only redirect to another Sidekick.

If there were a character that said "while active, the first action used each turn that targets a character must be redirected to another character", and the only thing in play were this fictional character and a Sidekick, that would be a scenario where I could see a redirect for Casualties to an illegal target possibly being allowed, given the rulebook text.

The rulebook is fuzzy enough that you can interpret it several ways, unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Now I see what you're saying. And this is more in line with can't trumps can. I suppose that makes a ton of sense.

I think it is "...as described in the game text [of the redirection ability]..."

SO sorry if it is answered here but i got a question, again about THAT Ring.

I played with Obelisk and attacked with him while a the Ring was on a Human Paladin on my opponents field.
    And i wanted to use the Distraction Global: Pay a Mask and put back an Attacker to your field to deal Obelisks Attack as damage.

I know after the ruling the ring concerns about chosen single die = targe, and about cards where target is written on it. It cannot help against Group- Abilities like Green Goliath or Umber Hulk Paragon (Reroll all opposing lvl 1 & 2 characters.)

So can i distract my own characters while the ring is active on an enemy character? ,or more in over all can i use a global that is only ment to be for my side of the game?

please someone enlight me and tell me if i played wrong or right. ;____; (can't they just erase the text and print a new one...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    So can i distract my own characters while the ring is active on an enemy character? ,or more in over all can i use a global that is only ment to be for my side of the game?
    The general consensus is that you cannot.

But to my mind there is some ambiguity in the rulings on the WizKids rules forum on this particular subject.

I have posted questions about it, but have never received an answer.

I really have many different understandings of the Text.
    There is the ruling with Hulk Jade Giant what make sense if you put it the one way.
    Now i could go on what my thoughts are about the rulings but that would be too much.

I mean i would like to play the ring myself, but i will not, because it causes so much problems and no official ruling that i would rather ban him from my entire games for myself.

Edit: And thanks for the answers.

And that doesnt mean i wouldnt allow that my opponent plays the ring. I will print out all answers vom WK for games and than they can try to figure it out with me together.
    Last edited by Ressless; 08-16-2015 at 05:50 AM.