Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Article: TRP Podcast 56: AoU Review Part 1

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Listening right now! Hoping to hear that you love Common Giant Man...!

    ... Hate hate hate hate hate hate.

    Oooooh, Evan makes me happy. Urge to kill lowering... lowering... (heard Dave say high variance) RISING...

  3. #3
    Hulk: Gamma Powered - It has to be if he goes through unblocked, because he doesn't leave the field under any other circumstances (other than shenanigans).

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Hulk: Gamma Powered - It has to be if he goes through unblocked, because he doesn't leave the field under any other circumstances (other than shenanigans).
    Getting knocked out is leaving the field.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Getting knocked out is leaving the field.
    I may need to go back and listen to that part again, but it sounded to me like the discussion was whether you had to spin him down to level 1 even if he wasn't KO'd.

  6. #6
    Another great episode. Sounds like we have a lot of "ok" cards in this set. In fact almost everything was a 3 +/- 0.5. Sounds like good internal balance with no one winning strategy in draft. Time will tell how that plays out though.

    I do think Maria Hill: Avengers Liaison was under valued however. Sure it's not great for blocking or globals or anything else that KO's characters, but that's not the point. She's amazing when attacking. Her and another [shield] character attack an empty field, they go to prep. She attacks with another [shield] and a biggy, now your opponent has to choose, let the shields through to block the big one but have two characters go to prep, or block a shield and take the damage from the big attacker. It forces your opponent to make choices they may not otherwise have to make. Love the potential of an all shield team with her in the center. Your opponent either blocks her, or she's coming back with a friend next turn. Don't even get me started when you start mixing in unblockable effects... Good stuff! (And a 4+ rating in my book since it can build an archetype and she's super cheap.)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    Another great episode. Sounds like we have a lot of "ok" cards in this set. In fact almost everything was a 3 +/- 0.5. Sounds like good internal balance with no one winning strategy in draft. Time will tell how that plays out though.

    I do think Maria Hill: Avengers Liaison was under valued however. Sure it's not great for blocking or globals or anything else that KO's characters, but that's not the point. She's amazing when attacking. Her and another [shield] character attack an empty field, they go to prep. She attacks with another [shield] and a biggy, now your opponent has to choose, let the shields through to block the big one but have two characters go to prep, or block a shield and take the damage from the big attacker. It forces your opponent to make choices they may not otherwise have to make. Love the potential of an all shield team with her in the center. Your opponent either blocks her, or she's coming back with a friend next turn. Don't even get me started when you start mixing in unblockable effects... Good stuff! (And a 4+ rating in my book since it can build an archetype and she's super cheap.)
    There were a lot of undervalued characters alongside a lot of overvalued characters. I'm a bit surprised by how much I disagree with a lot of these scores. Take for Instance Giant Man - Dr. Henry Pym, a TFC-3 character with 1/1, 4/4, 7/7 stats on a 3 cost is AMAZING. If he's level 1, he gets knocked out and comes back for round 2, if he hits level 2 he's great value for cost, and if he lands on level 3, he's incredibly good. Meanwhile Red Skull - Johann Schmidt is rather rubbish. He's effectively Ghost Rider with a +1/+1 on two faces and twice the cost. His lifegain in negligible and won't help you at all if you haven't taken damage in the first place; I can't fathom why he was placed so high.

    Also, if you want to have great fun with Mariah Hill, bring along Pick Your Battles and some big shield character like Katana, Bucky, or Robin.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    @Necromanticer Frankly, I don't like doing the ratings. It's so hard to know until we see how things interact a little more. But people generally want ratings. I don't like Giant Man the same reason I don't like The Atom. 7/7 is GREAT, if you get it. Otherwise, you're getting 4/4 or 1/1. A 7/7 for 3 looks great but that's just one face.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    @Necromanticer Frankly, I don't like doing the ratings. It's so hard to know until we see how things interact a little more. But people generally want ratings. I don't like Giant Man the same reason I don't like The Atom. 7/7 is GREAT, if you get it. Otherwise, you're getting 4/4 or 1/1. A 7/7 for 3 looks great but that's just one face.
    I can understand that. I don't want to get negative about these things, I was just surprised by how differently we see some of these characters.

  11. #11
    That's really good for the game, IMO. If you guys agreed on everything, bleh.

  12. #12
    I think Maria Hill: Avengers Liaison is a great card which lets you ramp pretty quickly.

    When this character die and a character die go to your Used Pile at the same time, put both into your Prep Area instead.
    At the end of your turn, if you have a Maria Hill die and a character die Out of Play, they would move to the Prep Area instead of the Used Pile. Roll them as energy and spend them to purchase a character and get them back in Prep Area at the end of your turn.

    Now there is some debate on how this card is supposed to work. I have a question submitted to WizKids that I'm hoping they will answer soon.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I think Maria Hill: Avengers Liaison is a great card which lets you ramp pretty quickly.



    At the end of your turn, if you have a Maria Hill die and a character die Out of Play, they would move to the Prep Area instead of the Used Pile. Roll them as energy and spend them to purchase a character and get them back in Prep Area at the end of your turn.

    Now there is some debate on how this card is supposed to work. I have a question submitted to WizKids that I'm hoping they will answer soon.
    This doesn't work that way. She's not active when she's in your reserve pool or out of play, so her effect won't proc. It's an interesting idea, but that's just not how the game works.

  14. #14
    Kang - The Conqueror is 4 Mask, not 6 Mask as discussed. I assume it would rank quite a bit higher, perhaps 3.5?

    sgc

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    This doesn't work that way. She's not active when she's in your reserve pool or out of play, so her effect won't proc. It's an interesting idea, but that's just not how the game works.
    How would her ability trigger then? If she attacks and is unblocked, she goes out of play until the end of the turn. The only way to go from the field directly to the Used pile is in result to a special ability such as Storm: Wind-Rider or Wonder Man: Ionic Energy (character's KO'd go to Used instead of Prep).

    Would these cards also require their character to be active for their effects?
    Maria Hill:
    The first time you draw Maria Hill in a turn, you may roll a different character from your Used Pile and place it in your Reserve Pool.
    Thanos: Courting Death
    Thanos costs 2 fewer to buy while you are at less than 11 life.
    Thanos: Infinite
    Overcrush
    Whenever one of your Villains deals combat damage to an opponent, put an Infinity Counter on Thanos. Thanos dice cost 2 less to purchase for each Infinity Counter on Thanos.

  16. #16
    Is there a list some where, where you show the cards and the score you gave them in the cast?
    Thanks

  17. #17
    I will say the other night on Vassal @IsaacBV used Giant Man and Polymorph Global like a boss!

  18. #18
    Question about common Loki. Says that while active pay bolt to deal 1 damage and that card loses all abilities. So would the damage happen first or the loss of ability? Just asking for going up against Hulk.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMatticus View Post
    Question about common Loki. Says that while active pay bolt to deal 1 damage and that card loses all abilities. So would the damage happen first or the loss of ability? Just asking for going up against Hulk.
    I'd say they happen simultaneously but it shouldn't matter. One ability needs to resolve fully before another ability can take place. By the time Hulk would check to see if he's taking damage, he has no text, and no ability to even check to see if he has taken damage.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    I'd say they happen simultaneously but it shouldn't matter. One ability needs to resolve fully before another ability can take place. By the time Hulk would check to see if he's taking damage, he has no text, and no ability to even check to see if he has taken damage.
    Thanks, yeah i was wondering about the timing of that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •