Thread: Promo Cards, WES Achievements & You (7/4 & 8/9 @ Olympia, WA) (8/16 @ Vancouver, BC)

Promo Cards, WES Achievements & You (7/4 & 8/9 @ Olympia, WA) (8/16 @ Vancouver, BC)

In connection with Melissa Turner (who actually did all the REAL work), I have created three, unique, unofficial variant cards to celebrate three, unique events that will be happening in the Pacific Northwest this summer. Here are the cards:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gabis.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	1246

And here are the events:

Fourth of July Dice Masters Event
    July 4 @ 10:00 am @ Gabi's Olympic Cards and Comics (Olympia, WA) (WES Link: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=116404)
    We will be celebrating the Fourth in style by holding a VERY BRIEF event when the store opens--each player will play two best-of-one, 30 minute max games. All players will play teams that have one Captain America, one Falcon (but not Recon, he is banned), all comic characters, and no Villains. All players will receive the Captain America - Symbol of Freedom card shown above. And all players will get the WizKids Event System Achievement for playing an event on the Fourth of July. (I should receive the cards by this event. Should I not, I will deliver them to participants free of charge.)

Dice Masters: USA vs. Canada Round One -- Canadian Invasion
    August 9 @ 1:00 pm @ Gabi's Olympic Cards and Comics (Olympia, WA) (WES Link: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=116405)
    Thanks to @RainCityJenna (who is amazing), we are going to have a two part, "border battle" series between British Columbia and Washington State Dice Master players. This will get players the other two promo cards shown above AND the "play in another country" WizKids Event System achievement. In the first event, @RainCityJenna will lead a contingent of Vancouver-area players three hours south to Olympia to participate in a rainbow draft. All participants (24 player cap) will receive the Captain America - Sentinel of Freedom card shown above. (I'll definitely have the cards by this event!)

Dice Masters: USA vs. Canada Round Two -- American Invasion
    August 16 @ 12:00 pm @ Board Game Warriors (New Westminster, BC) (WES Link: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=116408)
    The following week, we return the favor. I will lead a group of Olympia-area players to play in a rainbow draft at the store where @RainCityJenna runs events. All participants (24 player cap) will receive the Wolverine - Canucklehead card shown above.

I am beyond excited about these events. If you live in the region, or will be in the glorious Northwest one one of those dates, please feel free to swing by. And don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions

I like it! Will have to check my schedule!

Soooooo excited about this! I'm glad we could hash it out, and I couldn't have asked for a better person to do this with. Thanks for coming up with such a great idea and thank you Melissa for the amazing cards; I'll treasure them

Couldn't make it yesterday, how'd it go?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Couldn't make it yesterday, how'd it go?
    Nice and quick. Four people showed, which was actually better than I had anticipated for a summer holiday in the northwest. The theme teams were great--though next time I will add stronger restrictions for more thematic-ness. But the cards were simply amazing they turned out great! Hope to see you at the USA v Canada event!

actually another question if someone from say Colorado wanted to go, is there some cheap places to stay, hotel or hostile? Like for the August 9th event. That is right before I go back to school for my masters. So it might be a fun road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    actually another question if someone from say Colorado wanted to go, is there some cheap places to stay, hotel or hostile? Like for the August 9th event. That is right before I go back to school for my masters. So it might be a fun road trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Um do you need a passport to go to BC?
    So glad you are interested!

You do need a passport to get to BC. I don't know of any hostels around Olympia, but I love here and don't use them so that doesn't mean there aren't any. In terms of cheap hotels, Olympia is an hour away from Seattle and it's pretty densely populated between here and there. I.e., there are lots of hotels including cheap options within reasonable driving distance of Olympia. I'd just give hotels.com a whirl and see what's out there. People who have visited me here have had good luck with that.

Hope you can make it. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, look for another post from me about this in the next day or so. @RainCityJenna and I have a couple cool things to announce about these events

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Regarding passports, I was able to cross the border both ways for CanNats with only my drivers license and birth certificate. I don't mean to indicate what Indy Mon said it's inaccurate - I just wanted to share my recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Regarding passports, I was able to cross the border both ways for CanNats with only my drivers license and birth certificate. I don't mean to indicate what Indy Mon said it's inaccurate - I just wanted to share my recent experience.
    You must have an enhanced drivers license. As of 2009, you can't just use a regular driver's license. It takes about 3 weeks to get the enhanced one, so if you wanted to do that @Vapedaveb and don't have a passport. I'd get on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    I have heard of people having this work.

For people planning on crossing the border without a passport or enhanced drivers license, you should look at the USA and Canada state departments websites. Last I checked a passport or EDL was required to get back into the states, although JTs birth certificate and license combo was sufficient to get into Canada (but check this for yourself).

While some people have been able to get back into the states without a passport, I've heard of people having trouble with it and the official rule is that it's a no-no. Do your homework and make the decision that conforms to your own risk tolerance

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    I checked both US and Canada border websites and Know Before You Go type pages. At the time, and for the location (1000 Islands Bridge?) that's all that was required.