Thread: Ultron Drone - 1 of a Million

Ultron Drone - 1 of a Million

Capture each enemy character blocking Ultron Drone, and deal damage to the defending player equal to its fielding cost (return it at the end of the turn).
    Switching from "each" to "it" over the course of the text (especially the "it" in the parenthetical) makes this a bit sketchy. Do we think damage is dealt to the opponent for each captured blocker or only one? OR is damage dealt based on the Ultron Drone's fielding cost?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    I think it's each and every. I have no basis or support.

The captured characters each deal damage based on their fielding cost to your opponent.

There is precedence or at least context for this in the following cards:

Phoenix: Jeannie

"At the end of the attack step, each character still engaged with Phoenix deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent. Knock out those characters."

Gambit: Cardsharp

"When fielded, you may draw and roll one die. If you roll a character side, that character deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent and goes to your used pile (otherwise, the die goes to your reserve pool)."

Loki: Illusionist

"When fielded, take control of an opposing character. At the end of the turn, knock out that character (place it in your opponent's prep area); it deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent."

Enchantress: Manipulator

"When fielded, your opponent chooses one of their dice. Capture that character. Your opponent takes damage equal to its printed fielding cost."

If it weren't interpreted as "each", then the Utron Drone would be the source of the damage and there is no precedence for a character dealing damage based on another character's attribute like attack or, in this case, fielding cost.

Although bringing up Enchantress was maybe a poor idea. The source of her damage appears to be ambiguous, but it's technically the captured character as shown by the previously mentioned cards, and the specific wording of "Your opponent takes damage" instead of "Deal damage equal to its printed fielding cost to your opponent" which would imply Enchantress as the source, much like Firestorm - Atom Rearranger or other characters which deal direct damage. But as I said above, there's no precedence for that sort of interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    ...there's no precedence for that sort of interaction.
    Purple Worm?

Except for the precedence for that sort of interaction which clearly exists. Good call, Scorpion.

Precedence aside, the wording seems to imply each, i.e. if you reword the ability ignoring the capture effect:

For each enemy character blocking Ultron Drone, deal damage to the defending player equal to its fielding cost.
    You can also read into the pronoun agreement at the end of ability text:

Capture each enemy character blocking Ultron Drone, and deal damage to the defending player equal to its fielding cost (return it at the end of the turn).
    The "it" that you're returning is also the "it" which has a fielding cost, i.e. the captured dice, i.e. each captured die.