Thread: Gencon 2015 Events

Gencon 2015 Events

Gencon is early this year, running from Thursday July 30 to Sunday August 2nd. Without a headline DM event happening at Gencon, it's a bit harder for them to get noticed. Here's a roundup of what's happening.

All of these events take place right in the main convention center. Go to Hall B and look for the WizKids signs.

WizKids Rainbow Drafts
    Thursday - Saturday, 11:00, 1:00, 3:00, 5:00 / Sunday 11:00
    Tickets: $12 (includes 12 packs for drafting).
    All tickets sold out so arrive with $12 of generic tickets and hope someone doesn't show up.
    Format: Single-elimination rainbow draft. (16 players in two 8-player pods).
    "Come with 8 Sidekick Dice, 12 Basic Action Dice, 4 Indicator Cards, & 2 Basic Action Cards & will draft from 12 packs."
    Prizes: Winner: Random Marvel Dice Masters Age of Ultron Full Art Card
    Top 2: Dice Masters Premiere Event Playmat
    Top 4: Captain America: The First Avenger Full Art Card
    Participation Prize: Beast: Mutate #666 Full Art Card and Harley Quinn: Dr. Harleen Quinzel Full Art Card
    Website: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/wp/wiz...s-gencon-2015/

Late Night Tournament
    Thursday - Saturday, 9:00pm - 2:00am
    Tickets: $14. All 3 late night tournaments still have tickets.
    These events were added after the initial burst of ticket purchases happened, so they all still have tickets. Buy now in case they later sell out!
    Format: 24-player Swiss, constructed, all sets allowed.
    Prizes: Winner: % of the Prize Pool / 4 Trinity War OP Promo Cards: Shazam, Wonder Woman, Pandora's Box, and House of Mystery.
    2nd Place: % of the Prize Pool / 2 Trinity War OP Promo Cards: Wonder Woman, and House of Mystery
    3rd & 4th Place: 2 Trinity War OP Promo Cards: Wonder Woman, and House of Mystery
    5th - 8th Place: 1 Trinity War OP Promo Card: Wonder Woman
    Even more prizes to be announced.
    Notes: Although they have the tables reserved until 2:00am, they likely will finish up earlier, probably by midnight.
    This event is organized TRP user @TheDoubleBursts , so feel free to ask them any questions.

Dice Masters Quick Play
    Thursday - Saturday, 11:00, 1:00, 3:00, 5:00 / Sunday 11:00
    Tickets: $10. UPDATE: tickets are now available for presale. Get them while you can!
    Format: Single-elimination, unlimited. 8 players per quick play. Two simultaneous quick plays.
    Prizes: Winner: Random Marvel Dice Masters Age of Ultron Full Art Card
    Top 2: Dice Masters Premiere Event Playmat
    Top 4: Captain America: The First Avenger Full Art Card
    Participation Prize: Beast: Mutate #666 Full Art Card and Harley Quinn: Dr. Harleen Quinzel Full Art Card
    Website: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/wp/wiz...s-gencon-2015/

Does anybody know any additional details about the "quick play" events? I only know what is on the Wizkids events page, and I don't know much about how they are run.

Some questions:

1) Are they "first come, first served" or do they take presales of tickets? (They aren't listed in the Gencon catalog).
    2) The format is "unlimited." I assume that means fully-constructed, all sets allowed?
    3) Will there be more than one 8-player pod running simultaneously?
    4) Can anyone confirm the schedule? It's only listed as "ongoing," same as the rainbow drafts. The gencon catalog makes the rainbow drafts' schedule clear, but these aren't in the catalog.

If anyone knows these or other details, I'll update the OP!

Assuming they do it like they did at Origins, they will launch quick plays on a rolling basis as soon as they have enough players. Not on a scheduled basis. That is pretty awesome, especially with those prizes and I expect those to be a big hit. Honestly, those prizes are better than the Worlds qualifiers at Origins. Too late to get a ticket?

Also. Note that WK does not enter side events at cons into the WES. It took them a long time to enter the worlds main events into the system. I could only imagine dealing with dozens of side events.

The spacing allocation at GenCon pretty much ensures all timed events are in the schedule from GenCon's ticket launch in early May. When the events went on sale, 7 of the 13 Rainbow Drafts immediately sold out. During the World's stream, the remain tickets sold out. At this point, it is safe to assume the Rainbow Drafts are filled with dedicated fans of the game. This compounds with the fact that WizKids' release of the War of Light is for the day after GenCon and they are known for previewing sets in their Rainbow Drafts.

As a matter of fact, even though WizKids denied the purpose of the post, they showcased a photo of various dice from War of Light with the caption "Are you ready to Rainbow Draft?" on their FaceBook and Twitter accounts. So, everyone is itching at a sneak peak of the new set with the Premier prizes.

The Quick Play events would be Unlimited format. The format may not be favored by those fixated on their particular Limited format but on the flip-side it means any of those people showing up would be able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Also. Note that WK does not enter side events at cons into the WES. It took them a long time to enter the worlds main events into the system. I could only imagine dealing with dozens of side events.
    After speaking to the Prez of WizKids, this ties into one of the reason that the Late Night Tournaments cannot be WES certified this time. It was our hope but this time it will not be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleBursts View Post
    As a matter of fact, even though WizKids denied the purpose of the post, they showcased a photo of various dice from War of Light with the caption "Are you ready to Rainbow Draft?" on their FaceBook and Twitter accounts.
    I think that the picture of the dice (while absolutely intended as a War of Light teaser) was more likely in line with the Supreme Court ruling today than meaning anything about War of Light at GenCon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladin View Post
    I think that the picture of the dice (while absolutely intended as a War of Light teaser) was more likely in line with the Supreme Court ruling today than meaning anything about War of Light at GenCon.
    With that in mind, I would agree you are right. I just keep assuming they have someone capable handling their social media. They failed to include the #LoveWins hashtag and during Worlds they failed to make a single tweek (over the whole weekend.)

Either which way, it was fun playing name the revealed dice! No Red Lantern Supergirl (such an epic story) revealed yet but Dex Starr makes me happy.

ATTACH=CONFIG]1290[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dex-Star.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	1290  

We just added more promos to the prize pool! We also should have the big 1st place prize announced this week!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleBursts View Post
    We just added more promos to the prize pool! We also should have the big 1st place prize announced this week!
    Very nice! I updated the top post with the additional prizes.

This week seems to have come extremely early. Today, we received the map of the WizKids space location and confirmation our 1st Place Prize Playmats finished printing! So, this will be the last NEW prize announcement we have planned before day one of GenCon.

For those wanting to take a peak:
    http://www.doublebursts.com/tdbevent...ys-until-news/

(Our website is more focused on the Tournament Organizer side of things than the player side of things which is why we love The Reserve Pool and what they do!)

The Quick Play Constructed events were added to the GenCon Events finder.

I signed up for 2 of them. Anyone else getting in on any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    The Quick Play Constructed events were added to the GenCon Events finder.

I signed up for 2 of them. Anyone else getting in on any of them?
    How did you sign up? Thought you had to pay with GenCon event tickets on site?

You have to go to the event listing, and click Add Selected Tickets to Cart.

https://www.gencon.com/events/82213
    https://www.gencon.com/events/82228

Those are the 2 that I've bought tickets for.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    You have to go to the event listing, and click Add Selected Tickets to Cart.

https://www.gencon.com/events/82213
    https://www.gencon.com/events/82228

Those are the 2 that I've bought tickets for.
    Thanks so much! I'm signed up for Friday at 11 and 3.

Edit: @Ken you might want this info too.

The Quick Play events will not be drop in flights. On the plus note, we are in for Thurs 11am/Fri 11am/Fri 1pm.

@Ken, you will need to update the information from no pre-sales to pre-sales. A lot of people will likely get f

(This is a bit ridiculous. In between all the new games we are trying out, we some how have 8 scheduled Dice Masters events with WizKids.) We still hope to see as many people as possible for our Late Night Tournaments. (We will be sharing some of our prizes from the official events in our tournaments!)

Due to State Laws and us being Canadian, the idea of cash is too much work. We will have a sealed gravity feed of Age of Ultron for each of the three nights. The amount of boosters awarded will be based upon the number of attendees. At maximum attendance, the whole box worth of packs will be awarded to first and second place of the night.

We also added Hawkeye OP to the prize selection.

(We are attending two WizKids events day one. So, anything we win in multiples of three will be added to the first place prize.)

Sadly I can't make Gencon this year. I saw the article about setting up the camera for the play area. Any idea if it'll be streamed live and if so how will it be streamed? Twitch or by some other means?