Thread: Article: WizKids & Gen Con: What Does Scaling Back Marketing Mean for Dice Masters?

Article: WizKids & Gen Con: What Does Scaling Back Marketing Mean for Dice Masters?

I think that it's not a big deal. They only had stuff in their event space at Origins and were still able to present and demo and whatnot. LOTS of companies just focused on event space - Asmodee, Mayfair, AEG, etc, were all absent from the dealer hall.

Also, I'd say that the exclusive right to sell your stuff when you have a booth is sort of annoying.

Lauren wanted me to look for Tales of the Arabian Nights. Z-Man publishes that. Retailer booths told me that because Z-Man was there, only Z-Man could sell that game. Ok. I went to Z-Man and guess what game they didn't bother to bring with them? So I mean... yeah. I don't think it's a big deal and the popularity of the events speak for themselves.

It's a bit disappointing they don't have a booth at the largest gaming convention in the world (see last year's discussion of turnstile vs. unique attendee numbers if you think I'm forgetting about the Essen fair), but not a biggie. Booths do raise your visibility quite a bit, but they have to make decisions on where to and how to concentrate resources and what they're doing has been working so far!

If they had a booth, they'd have to make decisions as to if it were going to be an info-only booth or if they were going to run demos. Demos take more space, and more people, and as such are even more expensive, but they're the best! And if you can immediately buy the game right there, that's great too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Also, I'd say that the exclusive right to sell your stuff when you have a booth is sort of annoying.

Lauren wanted me to look for Tales of the Arabian Nights. Z-Man publishes that. Retailer booths told me that because Z-Man was there, only Z-Man could sell that game. Ok. I went to Z-Man and guess what game they didn't bother to bring with them? So I mean... yeah. I don't think it's a big deal and the popularity of the events speak for themselves.
    Yeah, that's totally up to the publisher. CoolstuffInc is always at Gencon and is always selling lots of games there. Most publishers allow their stuff to be sold even when they're attending, but some do not. I *think* last year Iello didn't allow it, but CoolStufInc definitely had Z-Man games (I picked up a Carc expansion) and Z-Man always has a big booth (located in the same general location the past couple of years).

Publishers often want to sell at full price at conventions to both make extra money, but also as a courtesy to not undermine the retailers (publishers can get copies of their own game cheaper than anybody else so theoretically could sell them for cheaper than anybody else). Sometimes retailers can be jerks about that though. Last year, there was a retailer directly west of the Plaid Hat booth--neighboring it right on the other side of the walkway--and I recall they deliberately turned copies of one of Plaid Hat's games (I think Mice and Mystics) to face Plaid Hat's booth and then put a prominent sign on the games showing a cheaper price than Plaid Hat was charging for it at their booth.

Hi everyone. First time poster.

I don't think it's too much to worry about. I mean when was the last time Blizzard was at E3? They seem to be doing just fine.

I can only think of two possible reasons for them not having a booth.
    1. No AvX: It is kind of embarrassing when the Dice Masters flag ship can't be sold because they might not have any.
    2. The Pipeline: There could be something in the works they need all hands on deck for. I think they're still working on finding a new home for Heroclix Online, they're getting ready to roll out the next expansion on the Mage Knight board game, Dice Masters TMNT development, Heroclix TMNT development. Maybe we have an announcement coming in a couple months.

i recall being there last year and hoping to find some dice master product, at the time the only set out was AvX and UXM was on the horizon. all i found were some dice and cards behind glass on display. that was after the mob looking for the star trek attack wing promo ship was gone. what a mess that was. i was able to get into a single AvX sealed event which was fun since it had been the only time i was able to do that due to scarcity of product.

WK not being in the dealer hall might not be all that bad. there were a number of companies outside of the vendor hall and in the event hall right next to it. it's honestly a nightmare at times to navigate the dealer hall. as big as the hall is it isn't big enough. for a company as popular as WK i could see having their space located outside of the dealer hall as a plus. they will have room to demo things if they want and the events will be run right there.

i'll be there all weekend so i look forward to meeting everyone! i will also have my sweet dice bags with me if anyone wants to buy one. (shameless plug!)

If I remember, WK revealed more Dice Masters stuff at SDCC than they did GenCon.

I have not attended GenCon, but I'm a Star Trek Attack Wing player. Last year Wizkids really botched their STAW promo sales because they were understaffed and did not have an adequate quantity of product to meet demand. It left a very bad taste in players mouths and generated quite a bit of ill will. Dice Masters appears to be bigger than Attack Wing. They may have simply decided that if they couldn't adequately staff and support a booth, it was not worth having one.

yeah, that was a big botch. the friend i went with last year said he was going to try and get that for someone. i saw him later that day and i asked if he got one. he said he didn't even get close to the booth, there were so many people there. i was in line for doomtown :P