Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Article: Doom's Day Device

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Really enjoyed this theme, and I am glad you put it together. FINALLY.

    Will you really purchase Teamwork? I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, but I am not sure when/why you'd buy it.

  3. #3
    I don't know how often I will purchase Teamwork... but while testing, this team went against one with Red Dragon. So I purchased Teamwork at a discount. In an all or nothing gambit at the end of the game, I used Teamwork with lvl 3 Katana and 2 Sidekicks in play. After turning all 3 in to Villains I was able to attack for 11. That seems like a lot. So I'm hesitant to get rid of Teamwork.

  4. #4
    I played against a similar team in a constructed OP. My saving grace was Constantine Hellblazer. My opponent could never get off their Doctor Doom, since it's a "when fielded" effect. What do you propose to do when facing a team with that card?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    I played against a similar team in a constructed OP. My saving grace was Constantine Hellblazer. ... What do you propose to do when facing a team with that card?
    I have a few options. Since Hellblazer is such a cheap character, my opponent could go for him first. There's a chance that my opponent would have Constantine fielded by himself. If that's the case, I use Sinister's global. Then my opponent has no choice but to deal 3 damage to Constantine. I could also KO Grundy with BEWD to KO Constantine. But that requires my 5 cost character in the field to deal with their 2 cost.

    :avx109:There's also an idea I'm kicking around. Replace BEWD with NOGG. A single use of NOGG's global could KO lvl 1 Constantine. With the exception of Solomon Grundy, I would target a villified sidekick most often with BEWD to trigger Retaliation. I can do that with NOGG. Now, I don't get the -2 purchase like with BEWD, but that's ok. I am confident in my team being able to function without PXG or BEWD, only relying on the KO'd sidekicks from NOGG.

  6. #6
    double post, ignore.
    Last edited by Osprey; 07-01-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: double post

  7. #7
    How would you say the speed is when not playing against a team that runs pxg? Also, do you feel that nasty boy is worth it? I personally dropped him in favour of either the common or rare sinestro, depending on the day.

    This is what my current villains team that has been mostly undefeated at the past few OP's I've brought it to looks like:
    http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=4x...136bff;3x25avx

    I've been considering adding doom and swapping to a slightly more aggro build to do it, but that would probably look like replacing venom with doom and distraction with resurrection or something to increase speed. Goblin at level 3 has 5 attack and is capable of burn alongside manta, so a doom hitting the board succesfully could easily allow me to swing for lethal without needing lots of energy to supply globals.

    I like your team a lot, but I might be worried about faster teams at an OP.

  8. #8
    I do think I'm fast enough if no one brings PXG. I can prep a die with Villainous Pact, I can use either BEWD or NOGG (whichever I decide on) to KO something on command, sending it to my prep. There's a few scenarios that see me still able to purchase Doom on turn 2 or 3 if I absolutely needed to rush for him. I would actually prefer to NOT see PXG, because I like my chances.

    Sinister is only worth purchasing if my opponent is also running Villains. If that's the case, then Doom is useless, since he can only mess with non-Villains. With Sinister and Manta both in the field, I'm doing more damage when one if my own Villains is KO'd and am able to chip away at my opponent when they trigger their own Reraliation.

    Your team looks solid. I don't have Gobby... but even if I did, that's not the point of this team. I understand that he is the most efficient use of KO, to re-field next turn, to deal his damage, then KO, to re-field.... I want this team to be good. I want to win. But I'm not going to limit myself to only playing teams that have a shot of winning Worlds. This is me stepping out, trying to build a team around a character I like, seeing how good Doom can be when he's the focal point.

    If someone bring Tsarina or Gobby rush teams to this event, then I will come back next time loaded for bear. But I'm not going to be the first one to bring World Champ level teams to this OP environment.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I do think I'm fast enough if no one brings PXG. I can prep a die with Villainous Pact, I can use either BEWD or NOGG (whichever I decide on) to KO something on command, sending it to my prep. There's a few scenarios that see me still able to purchase Doom on turn 2 or 3 if I absolutely needed to rush for him. I would actually prefer to NOT see PXG, because I like my chances.

    Sinister is only worth purchasing if my opponent is also running Villains. If that's the case, then Doom is useless, since he can only mess with non-Villains. With Sinister and Manta both in the field, I'm doing more damage when one if my own Villains is KO'd and am able to chip away at my opponent when they trigger their own Reraliation.

    Your team looks solid. I don't have Gobby... but even if I did, that's not the point of this team. I understand that he is the most efficient use of KO, to re-field next turn, to deal his damage, then KO, to re-field.... I want this team to be good. I want to win. But I'm not going to limit myself to only playing teams that have a shot of winning Worlds. This is me stepping out, trying to build a team around a character I like, seeing how good Doom can be when he's the focal point.

    If someone bring Tsarina or Gobby rush teams to this event, then I will come back next time loaded for bear. But I'm not going to be the first one to bring World Champ level teams to this OP environment.
    Fair points. I think @alleyviper and his success with his team at worlds have built a weird mindset about green goblin in local OP's, but that's besides the point. I may have to write a blog post about goblin at some point though.

  10. #10
    What happens if you come up on another all or mostly Villains team? It seems like your team is really counting on your opponent not bringing Villains.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    What happens if you come up on another all or mostly Villains team? It seems like your team is really counting on your opponent not bringing Villains.
    Sinister is only worth purchasing if my opponent is also running Villains. If that's the case, then Doom is useless, since he can only mess with non-Villains. With Sinister and Manta both in the field, I'm doing more damage when one if my own Villains is KO'd and am able to chip away at my opponent when they trigger their own Retaliation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •