Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dice Masters 2016 prediction thread!

Dice Masters 2016 prediction thread!

We know the sets planned for release this year, but haven't heard anything for 2016 yet. What do you predict or hope we will see next year?

DC - I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Batman and a Superman focused set next. There's the Batman vs Superman movie coming out, it makes total sense.

Marvel - Civil War would make sense with the movie coming out next year. Secret Wars just happened in the comics, so they could do that as well. I'd love to see another X-Men focused set (Age of Apocalypse?), but I doubt it'll happen with the current movie rights and Marvel distancing themselves from X-Men and Fantastic Four. Civil War and Secret Wars would allow them to put some X-Men in the sets without having X-Men in the title.

Other IPs - I really hope we get a second D&D set (with a collector's box!). If TMNT sells well I hope they do an Avatar/Legend of Korra self contained set. Star Trek makes a lot of sense, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a Star Trek set next year. I'm still hoping for a Doctor Who set too!

After some 'delays' TMNT and The Amazing Spider-man will finally be released, 8 months after a production issue left AvX as the only set available at retail. Fair market value of Gobby and Tsarina rises above the $10 level for the first time that year. BEWD staying steady at $324.

A Capt. Cold set will be announced, and none of the cards will need clarification.

WK announce a new "What If' set - Finally, a viable version of Thing!

Social media campaign to judge desire for the next Batman set to include a fan voted pick. 'Batman suit with nipples' wins by 2% of the vote over the 60's era Alfred in Batman suit. Still no Riddler.

She-Hulk as the 4th member of FF announced for the first OP kit of the year.

On a serious note - yes, a D&D setup box would be very welcome. Wouldn't mind a little more space between releases - maybe a few more OP events to fill in the gaps. Mostly, I'd like to see some more stand-alone sets for a more varied group of IPs - as long as they are all tested to work with the regular sets.

As long as we're dreaming - gimmie an official Calvin and Hobbes set.

I'm betting we see an "X-Men: Apocalypse" set. Perhaps I'm seeing things a bit through rose coloured glasses, because X-Men is MY franchise from my youth...but I just can't believe they'd give up the opportunity for another major summer blockbuster movie tie-in. I wonder how much Disney really has control over what WizKids does...or if Disney really is trying to actively downplay the franchise. I mean...Dice Masters is just over a year old and the first 2 sets were very X-Men based...and that X-Men Revolution Board game came out just a few months ago.

Here is hoping anyway...would be great to have new versions of Nightcrawler, Apocalypse, Gambit, Bishop, Emma Frost, Juggernaut, Sabretooth...and also maybe some new includes, like Multiple Man, Havok, Cannonball, M, Banshee, Longshot, Dazzler, Forge, Jubiliee, Warlock, The Brood, Omega Red, Shadow King, Archangel...just off the top of my head...

A second D&D set. Another Marvel and another DC set. Maybe even 2 of each. Based on how TMNT does, I'd say Street Fighter or Pacific Rim would be a potential candidate for a limited set like that. One other new IP will be announced and release late next year... I'm going to guess Lord of the Rings.

I am with Randy. There was a LOTR Quarriors set, so it might be a while but I am sure it is coming. Second D&D and YGO sets also seem natural.

I want a Kaiju set. Take the Godzilla and Horror that Wizkids did for Clix and give it to us in Dice. Jason anyone? Freddy? Or how about just some camp kids sidekicks?

Agreed on LotR, seems inevitable. MARVEL set from Civil War, DC set of Superman vs Batman, another D&D set, Star Trek and possibly another cartoon tie-in like Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I'm betting we see an "X-Men: Apocalypse" set. Perhaps I'm seeing things a bit through rose coloured glasses, because X-Men is MY franchise from my youth...but I just can't believe they'd give up the opportunity for another major summer blockbuster movie tie-in. I wonder how much Disney really has control over what WizKids does...or if Disney really is trying to actively downplay the franchise.
    Unfortunately, it's quite clear what Disney is doing, and if companies want to maintain their licensing rights and use of characters, they're going to have to follow suit. This is why the Fantastic Four expansion of Legendary is getting the axe - not because Upper Deck wants to. They're absolutely bound by the companies they license from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Unfortunately, it's quite clear what Disney is doing, and if companies want to maintain their licensing rights and use of characters, they're going to have to follow suit. This is why the Fantastic Four expansion of Legendary is getting the axe - not because Upper Deck wants to. They're absolutely bound by the companies they license from.
    I'm going to try to spin this one more time...Perhaps Disney is pulling the support from Fantastic Four, not because they are trying to undercut FOX directly, but because they've realized it is an outdated franchise that doesn't really have a strong fan following these days. So they are pulling extra support because if they crowd the market with incremental superhero stuff that doesn't sell, that devalues and takes shelf space away from the good stuff that does sell. Perhaps FOX will also realize this after the upcoming movie reboot of FF falls a little flat (my prediction), which may lead them to make a deal with Disney to relinquish the rights to the FF movie franchise. I bet Disney would give them some coin to take the franchise back into the Marvel fold, because I believe all FOX has to do to legally keep it, is at minimum, put out a straight to video low budget animated movie every four years. While Disney doesn't value FF that much, having them back in the Marvel fold would at least simplify things for potential synergies or cameos down the road.

X-men is different, because they have a very strong fan following, and an underlying message of equality and human (mutant) rights that still rings very true in today's society, which makes the franchise very valuable and something that Disney is likely to continue investing in. This theory would co-relate to the recently announced comic book line up that Marvel just put out there of 45 new comic titles starting in the Fall. The X-men have 3 distinct titles themselves, with Wolverine having an additional 2 of his own. There are also a bunch of other mixed and solo titles that have heavy X-men presence in the books...where as Fantastic Four has no titles of it's own, and it looks like only some presence in one of the new books.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/1/8877...ll-start-after

Perhaps I am being too much an optimist for my favourite franchise and I have blinders on...but I just can't see Disney intentionally undercutting one of their largest intellectual properties. There is much evidence to the contrary and I don't think the Fantastic Four comparison is quite the same thing. Maybe we won't see a Movie Tie-In Dice Masters X-men set...that may be asking too much given the movie rights situation...but I can see a full X-Men focused set sometime in the near future.

Yugioh series 2! I must collect it. I'd like to see it get a setup box or an OP kit as well.

Count me in for wanting an X-Men: Apocalypse release. Would also love a Batman-centric one (so many iconic Villains to add).

For other IPs, I think Transformers would be fun. I like the idea of the level 1 face being the vehicle form. Then utilize lots of effects involved with being level 1 or not. And plenty of actions to spin up/down to transform.

Quote Originally Posted by zeon20 View Post
    We r prolly in the minority here, but I'd also like to c a series 2 yu gi oh. Hopefully they cover season 2 n include my all time favorite archtype cyber dragons! N also not take gifs of the show for the art too lol
    Our YGO series 1 followed the YGO clix series 1. I would assume if we had YGO series 2 it'd follow Clix series 2 YGO. I know nothing about YGO so I'm not sure who is relevant from this list but some characters are Gamma The Magnet Warrior, Fiber Jar, Beta The Magnet Warrior, 4-Starred Ladybug of Doom, Cobraman Sakuzy, Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, and Boar Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Perhaps I am being too much an optimist for my favourite franchise and I have blinders on...but I just can't see Disney intentionally undercutting one of their largest intellectual properties. There is much evidence to the contrary and I don't think the Fantastic Four comparison is quite the same thing. Maybe we won't see a Movie Tie-In Dice Masters X-men set...that may be asking too much given the movie rights situation...but I can see a full X-Men focused set sometime in the near future.
    We have seen evidence though of Marvel cancelling licensing opportunities for the X-Men as well as removing them from licensed shirts. As much as I love the X-Men, I'm not that optimistic that Disney is going to allow anyone to spotlight them over any property that Disney owns the full rights to.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat129 View Post
    We have seen evidence though of Marvel cancelling licensing opportunities for the X-Men as well as removing them from licensed shirts. As much as I love the X-Men, I'm not that optimistic that Disney is going to allow anyone to spotlight them over any property that Disney owns the full rights to.
    I get the feeling that there is more going on with licensing agreements than I am aware of...but let me continue to play devils advocate a bit...

Disney bought Marvel in 2009...so, if it is true that Disney is not supporting X-Men, why did the first 2 Dice Masters sets, released 5 years later, feature the X-men very prominently?

I'm asking this not to be argumentative or stubborn, I'm just seeking to understand better and am very curious.

I'm expecting licensing to go crazy.
    I'm already trying to preorder DoH Starter Sets.
    (Dukes of Hazzard)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2073739-0F2A7D7900000578-174_634x419.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	1674

Considering all the controversy with the Confederate flag, there is zero chance Dukes of Hazzard does anything.

I expect a Batman vs. Superman set, and I'm also hoping for a Marvel Golden Age type set with characters we haven't seen since the 40s/50s, even though that one won't happen.

I would not be surprised by a D&D second set.

Actually the off-the-cuff Dukes of Hazzard reference got me thinking about game design and how themes are sometimes applied after the fact. My understanding of DM's initial design goes back to a generic story of Quarriors. But did Quarriors start out with a fantasy based theme when prototyping the system?

I think sometimes it can be all too easy to just slap on a theme based upon what IP is laying about. Does anyone know all the IP's that WhizKids own? right now Super Hero's, YuGiOh and D&D offer a crazy amount of breadth. But not knowing WhizKids...are they the sort of company to put out something like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer set if they could for a system? That's meant to be an example slightly more 'plausible' than something like Dukes of Hazzard. How slippery is this slope based on WK? How about something still more plausible... G.I. JOE?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gi-joe-logo.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	1678

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacBV View Post
    And an all Giant-Man set for @RJRETRO and I
    You think he is joking, but think of all the Pyms! Ant-Man, Giant Man, Yellowjacket, Goliath, High Pockets (apparently)...

...also, G.I. Joe would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by runatyr View Post
    But not knowing WhizKids...are they the sort of company to put out something like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer set if they could for a system? That's meant to be an example slightly more 'plausible' than something like Dukes of Hazzard. How slippery is this slope based on WK? How about something still more plausible... G.I. JOE?
    They'd go pretty deep. They had a set of HeroClix based on Iron Maiden album art.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    You think he is joking, but think of all the Pyms! Ant-Man, Giant Man, Yellowjacket, Goliath, High Pockets (apparently)...

...also, G.I. Joe would be amazing.
    Also don't forget Scientist Supreme, Zombie Pym, Wasp and everyone's favorite Gro-rilla

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    We know the sets planned for release this year, but haven't heard anything for 2016 yet. What do you predict or hope we will see next year?

DC - I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Batman and a Superman focused set next. There's the Batman vs Superman movie coming out, it makes total sense.

Marvel - Civil War would make sense with the movie coming out next year. Secret Wars just happened in the comics, so they could do that as well. I'd love to see another X-Men focused set (Age of Apocalypse?), but I doubt it'll happen with the current movie rights and Marvel distancing themselves from X-Men and Fantastic Four. Civil War and Secret Wars would allow them to put some X-Men in the sets without having X-Men in the title.

Other IPs - I really hope we get a second D&D set (with a collector's box!). If TMNT sells well I hope they do an Avatar/Legend of Korra self contained set. Star Trek makes a lot of sense, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a Star Trek set next year. I'm still hoping for a Doctor Who set too!
    1) WOL is about the only thing I care about in DC as a whole, so I'm not too worried about anything past that.
    2) They could fill a dozen full sized sets with the current iteration of Secret Wars and just scratch the surface. Heck, they could fill a set with just Thors. Thors? Thor's? Thores? Thori? Thorisis? You get the picture.
    3) I love collector boxes so much more than collectible sets.
    4) I really hope there is more D&D stuff coming.
    5) Don't forget, with TMNT coming, we can finally see a fight between the Hand and the Foot.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    BFF is so good. I can't imagine there's not another D&D run in the pipeline.

Year 1 (2014):
    • MDM1
    • MDM2
    • YGODM1
    • DaDDM1

Year 2 (2015):
    • DCDM1
    • MDM3
    • DCDM2
    • MDM4

Year 3 (2016):
    • TMNTDM1
    • MDM5
    • DCDM3
    • DaDDM2
    • YGODM2

(Possibly not in that order)

edit: changed 2nd instance of MDM4 to MDM5 as intended.

Also wanted to add: for Year 1 this is what I believe the release schedule was meant to be.
    Last edited by Scorpion0x17; 07-07-2015 at 10:51 AM.