Thread: Anger Issues, Human Paladin Global, & Wolverine: The Best There Is

Anger Issues, Human Paladin Global, & Wolverine: The Best There Is

ANGER ISSUES
    Target character gets +3A and Overcrush this turn (damage dealt in excess of blockers' health is dealt to opponent).
    Global: Pay . Target character gets +1A until end of turn.

WOLVERINE, THE BEST THERE IS
    Wolverine deals double damage to characters that block him.

HUMAN PALADIN, LESS EMERALD ENCLAVE
    Global: Pay . Reduce the damage you take from a character's ability to 1.

DC RULEBOOK
    Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

WIZKIDS RULING
    Overcrush considers all damage dealt to the blocking character(s), and then applies the “leftover” to your opponent. The doubling of damage triggered by Wolverine’s ability occurs before the Overcrush “check” for “leftover” damage occurs, and thus the amount of “leftover” damage is benefit from the prior doubling of damage.
    My opponent gives a level 1 Wolverine, 5A/2D, +3A by paying 3 fist energy for the Anger Issues Global, and then uses the BAC Anger Issues to give Wolverine an additional +3A and Overcrush, for a total of 11A/2D.

I block the attacking Wolverine with five characters with a total of 10D. If I pay 1 shield for the Human Paladin Global, how much direct damage do I take as a result, considering Wolverine's Overcrush and my limiting the damage I take from his doubling ability to 1?

Since it has been ruled that Wolverine's doubling occurs before the Overcrush check, my assumption is that I would take 1 damage dealt in excess of my blockers (11A-10D) and 1 additional damage due to Wolverine's ability for a total of 2.

You're not taking ability damage, you're taking combat damage. Wolverine and Overcrush simply change how that damage is applied. Human Paladin has no effect in this case. You would need a global like Smash to negate this combo. He's dealing 22, your characters have 10D, so 12 carries over.

HP deals with ability-sourced damage. These card abilities aren't sources, they're instructions for combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You're not taking ability damage, you're taking combat damage. Wolverine and Overcrush simply change how that damage is applied. Human Paladin has no effect in this case. You would need a global like Smash.
    But the doubling of damage is a product of Wolverine's ability ...

Agree with @Dave

Ability Damage is things like the following cards. You could use Paladin's global to reduce the damage from these cards down to 1.

Wolverine's ability is not doing damage itself, it is just modifying the way that Combat Damage is dealt.

Exactly, cards like this Wolverine are simply Buffs that amplify the damage output. Human Paladin deals with character abilities that deal direct damage to you the player, overcrush and buffs are merely affecting combat damage which is only affecting you because of an Action Card's ability not a character (though some characters do have an innate overcrush).